OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

If other races wanna be all shady with this that's they're problem. Fuck em. Come on ya'll. lets own this shit. Sheesh.

Reactions: a.mann
what i learned from this thread is brothers are real selective when it comes to the support black businesses argument

labeling a rare black superhero movie with an all black cast, director, and possibly crew....as “crumbs”

these same individuals bust their ass at work to put money in their nonblack employer’s pocket, who pay them “crumbs” in comparison to what they’re making

those crumbs probably get deposited into a nonblack bank, used to pay off a car they leased from an nonblack automobile corporation, and pay rent to their nonblack landlord

we all have to eat to live, so they probably go to their local nonblack supermarket to buy groceries

then whatever crumbs they have left goes to shit like wardrobe and entertainment,almost entirely purchased from nonblack businesses

their favorite hood movies growing up was pushed out by nonblack movie studios. their favorite gangsta rappers was pushed to the forefront ahead of conscious/uplifting artists by nonblack music executives and nonblack record labels. and although there may have been a message in the art, they undoubtably painted us in a negative light and encouraged destructive behavior

now i understand plenty of factors go into supporting a business other than it being black owned, as they should

however y’all support nonblack corporations on a daily basis, but want to get on your high horse over this?
I don’t think anyone is against the movie or telling people not to be happy about it

I think people just get irritated when they see this type of excitement months out for this as opposed to shit we could be doing ourselves so something like this doesn’t mean so much to us cause it is empty symbolism

It’s dope what homie was saying about Indo but that don’t mean shit to us here in America. It’s cool to flex our purchasing power if that’s really what was being done but they been putting out statistics over a decade clowning black spending habits and niggas still ain’t found a(literally 1) way to leverage it

Some niggas just saying “yo enjoy the movie, but don’t get too high you forget they’ll shoot your ass in a packed theatre for spitting” this ain’t white Jesus coming back to save the niggas

I don’t think anyone is against the movie or telling people not to be happy about it

I think people just get irritated when they see this type of excitement months out for this as opposed to shit we could be doing ourselves so something like this doesn’t mean so much to us cause it is empty symbolism

It’s dope what homie was saying about Indo but that don’t mean shit to us here in America. It’s cool to flex our purchasing power if that’s really what was being done but they been putting out statistics over a decade clowning black spending habits and niggas still ain’t found a(literally 1) way to leverage it

Some niggas just saying “yo enjoy the movie, but don’t get too high you forget they’ll shoot your ass in a packed theatre for spitting” this ain’t white Jesus coming back to save the niggas

So basically they are just hating...

Last edited:

it’s entertainment, and seemingly all other groups of people are allowed to be excited about a movie or show representing them and putting them in a positive light except for us

i can support this movie along with supporting black businesses. i can celebrate achievements made by individuals in black skin, along with a fictional black superhero getting a featured length movie

both is dope as fuck. niggas always act like it has to be one or the other

it’s entertainment, and seemingly all other groups of people are allowed to be excited about a movie or show representing them and putting them in a positive light except for us

i can support this movie along with supporting black businesses. i can celebrate achievements made by individuals in black skin, along with a fictional black superhero getting a featured length movie

both is dope as fuck. niggas always act like it has to be one or the other
I just said this

Black panther means more to niggas than Civil War meant to whites
Black Panther mean more to niggas than Dragonball Z did to China

Based on my understanding of op, his point was never to not be excited about this, it was to not confuse this for a Black moment in history...other groups can do and react however, we not them...we fucked up...so yeah while this generates all this press, I’m not mad at a nigga standing on his soapbox saying this ain’t a moment

It’s just entertainment, it’s weed, a temporary escape....cool we got a movie. They still don’t have water in Flint

I’m super excited to see the movie but there’s way doper shit we should come together and show this type of excitement for

I just said this

Based on my understanding of op, his point was never to not be excited about this, it was to not confuse this for a Black moment in history...other groups can do and react however, we not them...we fucked up...so yeah while this generates all this press, I’m not mad at a nigga standing on his soapbox saying this ain’t a moment

It’s just entertainment, it’s weed, a temporary escape....cool we got a movie. They still don’t have water in Flint

I’m super excited to see the movie but there’s way doper shit we should come together and show this type of excitement for

this gets tossed around often, and examples are almost never provided. not saying black panther is the end all be all for us as a group, but every time we come together for something niggas are always saying “we should come together for x instead of y”

i’m not putting you in this category, but some folks just like to bitch about everything

this gets tossed around often, and examples are almost never provided. not saying black panther is the end all be all for us as a group, but every time we come together for something niggas are always saying “we should come together for x instead of y”

i’m not putting you in this category, but some folks just like to bitch about everything
No doubt but I guess that’s the point

When we come together it’s always for meaningless shit...I watched black people on my fb talk down on niggas for feeling a way about the h&m ad

Some niggas may be on their dare to be different shit but when it’s coming from a good place, how can’t you respect it and wanna hear it out

I feel like we spoke it into existence because years ago I never would have thought Black Panther would have a movie.
because
1 he is a African king
2 he is a African king
3 he is a African hero
4 wealthiest hero of earth
5 Wakanda is a powerful and highly advanced country.
6 racism

But got damn, years later here we are.

Honestly, I want anything positive for people of color to do well. This will also show black folks once again the power we have when we collectively support something. Yeah its a movie but still. Because we all know black folks are going to put on for this movie. Which looks to be a damn good movie..

We all we got ✊

I just said this

This guy gets it.

Because it's a way of looking down on people on some "Yeah I'm above being too excited for this." Like niggas can't focus on more than 1 thing at a time. Like you can't be excited for this movie, yet also excited for/about something else too.

If you think that's a celebration then we're worse off than I thought. There's nothing to celebrate about a black cartoon created by a white dude who will be making billions off of our plight. THere's nothing to celebrate about that. Niggas have gotten so comfortable with getting crumbs that now niggas throwin a celebration for it? It's pretty sad.

My man.

Reactions: Duwop