OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

Assuming they are serious, I understand the analogy, but it's still stupid

This is the same shit that say about how much blacks spend during Black Friday

Lmao. My dude at work tried to come at me with one of those talking points and said "if all black nba players went back to africa and started their own league..." lmaoooo I informed him why he stupid then I patted his ass on the back and smh laughing. His heart was in the right place but foh. Thought he was woke. Better take his ass back to sleep.

I don't even see why this is a thread. If this movie didn't happen y'all would be bitching with no end in sight. As a comic book head whose known about the character since middle school and seen every incarnation of him from comics , animated features , video games to film imma go see this off the strength of that alone. There's no need to complain about the fanfare this is receiving and the red carpet premieres all movies do this. Im getting a crab in the bucket vibe from this thread. There are more important things to worry about.

Lmao. My dude at work tried to come at me with one of those talking points and said "if all black nba players went back to africa and started their own league..." lmaoooo I informed him why he stupid then I patted his ass on the back and smh laughing. His heart was in the right place but foh. Thought he was woke. Better take his ass back to sleep.

Eh bro is this what I think it means?

I haven't stepped in here in a day or two but I gotta ask... Is there ever such a thing as being too "woke"

ill just speak in general terms but I know a lot of people that have been "woke" before it was trendy to be that.. some took it to extremes.. some didn't.. it just irritates me sometimes when folks seem like they are overdoing the shit..

This aint a knock on anyone here.. your feelings/beliefs/thoughts are yours and id NEVER try to take that from yall.. cuz at the end of the day.. we want similar shit...but some folks are just doing the most..

Instead of being overly critical of black folks being happy, getting employed to be in a major film, being represented in a huge movie.. AND its in a positive light.. why cant people just enjoy shit for what it is?

Last edited:
Fuck that "woke" shit.

It's what we used to call the bourgeoisie or "intellectual elite". Not that they are any better than anyone else, but they believe that the knowledge they have makes them better and moreover, that the fact that they know something before someone else also makes them better.

It's like "oh, you JUST now learning about black history? Well I knew about it 5 years ago so... nah"

Childish shit

Reactions: BlackRain
This one nigga on Facbook got his thong in a bunch because I said that this movie is not a special moment for Black America, but just a potentially good movie.

i wonder if this thread still gets the traction it did if i said "black hollywood" instead of "black america"

hmmm

I'm a see it because I seen and like every other movie in MCU

Idk what this woke/sleep yall talking about.

Its people who think they gain some social capital by claiming to be aware of certain shit and trying to shame others who aren't.

Reactions: AP2.5
i wonder if this thread still gets the traction it did if i said "black hollywood" instead of "black america"

hmmm

Is BP a special moment in black america? Nah. Not really. Is it a dope moment in black america? Hell yeah.

Now, it should be a special moment in black Hollywood. I most definitely believe that. I don't think there's been this much black talent in a movie since Harlem Nights. Eddie was the writer and director there too. But as much as that movie has become a cult classic, it was considered a failure by critics and the box office.

So yeah, it is a special moment in Black Hollywood. At least it should be.

Lol yall acting like woke niggas aint the main ones seeing this movie. Or that this thread is anti the movie. I think what Du and Goldie was getting at was that this movie is still just a marvel movie not the next Malcom X or Selma.

Reactions: Big Lurko and Duwop