Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

Du you got some good points here. But you said something that makes me feel like you think negatively of black people on a subconscious level.

You posted the memes and pics of folks celebrating black panther. We all know its jokes. But you believed they were serious. In other words you think niggas is stupid.

I can be a bit abrasive at times but ultimately I get frustrated a lot with some of the shit Niggaz get infatuated with.

Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it bothers me.

It's like Chappelle once said, there's a big difference being laughed with vs being laughed at....

And there are times when some of the silly shit we get caught up is a laughed at moment.

And this movie just happens to be one of those things.... Cuz slowly but surely Niggaz going way over board and imo it's becoming a mockery of our overreaction to some of the simplest shit. Only mad people don't see the joke yet.

I love black people, I just don't always like the direction of their affections

Like if you ever heard Chris Rock black people vs Niggaz skit.. that sums up pretty much my demeanor during these kinda debates. Especially after I been drinking

I used to think that joke was cool. All that shit did was make niggas fake uppity.
Things often get lost in translation.
But I feel I understood exactly where he was coming from....

Like in large part black folk are doing fine. We face a lot of challenges, but as a whole we're not doing too bad. But one if the main things that hinder us as a whole is when we overly indulge in destructive behavior.

We fondly call it nigga or ghetto shit as a means to poke fun at it.... But there are times when the shit gets ridiculous.

early reviews are coming out and saying that this is more than a comic book movie and that Michael B. Jordan is probably the best Marvel villain to date

I saw that Coogler is JUST 31 yrs old. Peep that, a 31 yr old black director, tasked with delivering a film of this magnitude. How is that not black excellence? This will only allow him to do even more films that will continue to expand his range.

early reviews are coming out and saying that this is more than a comic book movie and that Michael B. Jordan is probably the best Marvel villain to date

I saw that Coogler is JUST 31 yrs old. Peep that, a 31 yr old black director, tasked with delivering a film of this magnitude. How is that not black excellence? This will only allow him to do even more films that will continue to expand his range.

He was already heading in that direction since Creed, which is how he got the BP director gig.

Now it's back-to-back-to-back hit movies, w/ Fruitvale Station, Creed and now Black Panther

Things often get lost in translation.
But I feel I understood exactly where he was coming from....

Like in large part black folk are doing fine. We face a lot of challenges, but as a whole we're not doing too bad. But one if the main things that hinder us as a whole is when we overly indulge in destructive behavior.

We fondly call it nigga or ghetto shit as a means to poke fun at it.... But there are times when the shit gets ridiculous.

Yeah, its not even unique to blacks. White people do the same shit with rednecks. I wouldn't say it breeds uppityness. It's just like the "Nigga Moment" shit from Boondocks. They aren't suggesting that you are a nigga cause you are poor or in the ghetto. It's about behavior that should be seen universally as bad.

That joke sucks because white people matched on to it. Even Rock regrets making that joke.

Thing is, Chris Rock didn't even make that, he just said some shit that Black folks been saying for years. I was saying that shit back in high school and had overheard a similar conversation between older folks at Shrine of the Black Madonna over on Livernois.

Thing is, Chris Rock didn't even make that, he just said some shit that Black folks been saying for years. I was saying that shit back in high school and had overheard a similar conversation between older folks at Shrine of the Black Madonna over on Livernois.
I’ve heard it before too. But the point is that it gave a lot of whites a different/new perspective and they ran with it.

Back