Welcome To aBlackWeb

As much as I loved the characters and the show, Issa and Lawrence were lowkey a toxic relationship that a lot of people rooted for.

In the beginning of the show yes...by the end of the show nah they'd both grown into different people than season 1 so it's not that out of the ordinary for two people to get back together after a while when they've both had time to grow and change.

This final episode/season was ok at best. I thought Issa would ride off into the sunset with someone new and Lawrence would step up and be a father AND husband to shorty.

I will say this season made me some what like Molly's character because before this season hated her character but she had the best story of all the characters

This final episode/season was ok at best. I thought Issa would ride off into the sunset with someone new and Lawrence would step up and be a father AND husband to shorty.
“Shorty” being Condola?

Nah. After the shit she put him through when that kid was first born (and her fam, for that matter), why would he marry her?

Also, idk if it's been covered in this thread, but as much as people were caught up in Issa and Lawrence the real relationship that drove the show and its plot was Molly and Issa.
When she says thank you to Issa for “being you” and for “loving me while I was me,” it becomes clearer than it’s ever been that this is the show’s love story. Imagine having a life partner who sees you for every complicated and possibly even terrible piece of who you are, and finds that being worth unconditional love.

I thought before Season 5 started that one of the final consequences would be Issa and Molly realizing they've outgrown each other and that that's ok.

I thought before Season 5 started that one of the final consequences would be Issa and Molly realizing they've outgrown each other and that that's ok.
That’s the other thing the last time we saw them prior to season 5 they were about to scrap

I don’t think we ever saw a resolution from that

That’s fucked up I thought for a show about black woman dynamics .... they d have a nigga end up w his baby moms and child

When she says thank you to Issa for “being you” and for “loving me while I was me,” it becomes clearer than it’s ever been that this is the show’s love story. Imagine having a life partner who sees you for every complicated and possibly even terrible piece of who you are, and finds that being worth unconditional love.

Yeah I saw a tweet from Yvon Orji and I believe the woman who directed the last episode where they said the bathroom scene that aired was all ad lib. Said she told Yvon Orji to talk to her as Issa Rae the person not the character so Issa had no idea she was gonna say that and all the tears were legit

I will say this season made me some what like Molly's character because before this season hated her character but she had the best story of all the characters

I agree with most of this. The Molly part, yes. The Lawrence part, 100% yes. The Issa part is tougher.

For her to be with someone else, they'd have to intro him earlier in the season. Can't do that in the last episode of the show. Numerous times I struggled to remember Nasir's name. The logical thing was for her to be with either Nath or Lawrence. Lawrence's situation was good with shorty. I think they did Nath dirty dropping him.

A nigga was hella happy Molly got married yo! She was on some self sabotage shit and got it together.

Nathan knew that deep down that Issa was Still in love with Lawrence.

I knew Issa and Lawrence would be married at the end but I thought they would throw a curveball and have them be with other people.

Overall I liked how it ended.

Back