Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION How to feel more comfortable in all white spaces?

Don't listen to these mean ass posters. It can definitely be a culture shock if this is your first time ever being in an environment where you are the only black person.

But you do live in America and my assumption is this is a PWI. So this is par for the course. No reason to feel uneasy or not comfortable. Your there to learn and they are too. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just be yourself, if that's a don't talk to anybody type personality then be that. If you normally are engaged and social be that.

Whatever apprehensions or anxiety your feeling is your own perception of trying to appease your classmates.

They are mirroring your energy. You giving off " I have never been around white folks" vibes. You probably being awkward and over thinking shit. I promise you they ain't thinking of you they way you are of them.

I would encourage you to think about environments where you are your most true self and feel very comfortable. Take that feeling with you into your music class. You are what you think. So just dismiss all those thoughts you have about not being comfortable or whatever and just focus your thoughts and mind on the learning and enjoying your time in this 1 hr class twice or there times a week...or however much you go.

If you continue to belabor this thought process it will continue to grow in your mind.

This is a good experience. And look at the positive impact you may gain. The world is not one race and you hopefully will grow and be in many environments where you might be the only negro. This is a true test of your ability to remain grounded In who you are. And that doesn't have to look like you being an ass to these people...unless that's who you are.

Let me ask you a question.

I could be wrong but it seems like you’re looking for white acceptance. Is that the case?

Does this matter to you?

“There is just no friendship or relationship outside of that”

Don't listen to these mean ass posters. It can definitely be a culture shock if this is your first time ever being in an environment where you are the only black person.

But you do live in America and my assumption is this is a PWI. So this is par for the course. No reason to feel uneasy or not comfortable. Your there to learn and they are too. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just be yourself, if that's a don't talk to anybody type personality then be that. If you normally are engaged and social be that.

Whatever apprehensions or anxiety your feeling is your own perception of trying to appease your classmates.

They are mirroring your energy. You giving off " I have never been around white folks" vibes. You probably being awkward and over thinking shit. I promise you they ain't thinking of you they way you are of them.

I would encourage you to think about environments where you are your most true self and feel very comfortable. Take that feeling with you into your music class. You are what you think. So just dismiss all those thoughts you have about not being comfortable or whatever and just focus your thoughts and mind on the learning and enjoying your time in this 1 hr class twice or there times a week...or however much you go.

If you continue to belabor this thought process it will continue to grow in your mind.

This is a good experience. And look at the positive impact you may gain. The world is not one race and you hopefully will grow and be in many environments where you might be the only negro. This is a true test of your ability to remain grounded In who you are. And that doesn't have to look like you being an ass to these people...unless that's who you are.

Nope, I'm definitely not trying to appease them and I don't do that for anyone. But seeing as I'm surrounded by cacs in a creative arts class, I have no choice but to get to try and know them and build connections or networks for the future.

I appreciate your post tho.

Didn't read post

But ill engage title question from an adult perspective

It's objective based with me. Constructive activity is always worthwhile even if uncomfortable. If it's worth your time, it'll sit different with you psychologically (basis of comfort) than if you jus bs'ing in some questionable environment

If i aint got no business being there.....THEN I AINT GOT NO BUSINESS BEING THERE!

Back