Welcome To aBlackWeb

How Much Representation is Enough?

shutupGabi

Head Auntie of Dragonstone
Mod Squad
Looking over the Emmy nominations and you see shit like this, which is beautiful

emmy-awards-twitter-black-enterprise.jpg

Like...I see niggas every time I turn on the screen. Is it perfect? No. But we are getting to the bag and seeing young black Hollywood like Issa Rae nem get on and put other black ppl on and we're seeing more of ourselves than past generations have ever seen all across media.

Past generations of entertainers have pushed for more representation and visibility, which got us to the point we're at now. It could always be more and it could always be better...but do yall feel like we've hit a baseline of being able to say black ppl are represented?

Looking over the Emmy nominations and you see shit like this, which is beautiful

emmy-awards-twitter-black-enterprise.jpg

Like...I see niggas every time I turn on the screen. Is it perfect? No. But we are getting to the bag and seeing young black Hollywood like Issa Rae nem get on and put other black ppl on and we're seeing more of ourselves than past generations have ever seen all across media.

Past generations of entertainers have pushed for more representation and visibility, which got us to the point we're at now. It could always be more and it could always be better...but do yall feel like we've hit a baseline of being able to say black ppl are represented?
No.
We need to represented as a core part of society without it being “throwing us a bone” to shut us up or fighting to be seen.

I appreciate all that’s being done by us for us.

I think the representation is better served when black actors and actresses are in roles that aren’t stereotypical or highlight the fact that they are black. I wanna see movies like Superbad with black actors. I wanna see movies like kickass with black actors. Like..we live normal lives to..everything don’t gotta be slave movies, or in-depth introspective shit on race. We need representation in the fact that we are well rounded individuals. That way the kids that are growing up can see there are more avenues you can take in life or ways you can be in life that’s not restricted by your race.

Most of it is presentation rather than representation not in this particular venue but else where.

We have a nice lil collective of movie makers and thats a great thing..

The faces are there more but often the actual stories fall flat. Too much of the dialouge between Black characters on tv sounds like people reading tweets. Like the actual words and phrases being used...the shit just sounds forced. Too many of the Black folks who have made it to these writers rooms are also the ones who didn't realize they were Black until 2014 and they're trying to set weird ass lines in the paint on what's considered culturally relevant. There needs to be more diversity among the types of stories being told because right now it's mainly a bunch of folks more concerned with going to brunch and then hitting a protest like it's a fashion show than there needs to be

I think the representation is better served when black actors and actresses are in roles that aren’t stereotypical or highlight the fact that they are black. I wanna see movies like Superbad with black actors. I wanna see movies like kickass with black actors. Like..we live normal lives to..everything don’t gotta be slave movies, or in-depth introspective shit on race. We need representation in the fact that we are well rounded individuals. That way the kids that are growing up can see there are more avenues you can take in life or ways you can be in life that’s not restricted by your race.

yea

came to say this

more quality over quantity

The faces are there more but often the actual stories fall flat. Too much of the dialouge between Black characters on tv sounds like people reading tweets. Like the actual words and phrases being used...the shit just sounds forced. Too many of the Black folks who have made it to these writers rooms are also the ones who didn't realize they were Black until 2014 and they're trying to set weird ass lines in the paint on what's considered culturally relevant. There needs to be more diversity among the types of stories being told because right now it's mainly a bunch of folks more concerned with going to brunch and then hitting a protest like it's a fashion show than there needs to be

was just talking about this

it doesnt come off authentic at all and these new “Black” sitcoms r hardly funny

Also these spot on about the themes and styles of films involving black casts as well as dialouge. Always feels like how people THINK black people speak every day instead of just being people.

Explain... please

To the best of my knowledge I don't know of any major BLACK fully owned entertainment awards body/organisation or even broadcasting...
I’m more speaking of....having the control to hire a black cast and give black actors and actresses shine.
and those behind the scenes getting shine.

It’s crazy because there’s a black person in every single tv commercial and I don’t trust it.

White people didn’t wake up all of a sudden like we need to put a nigga in everything, they plotting something!

Back