Welcome To aBlackWeb

how much did the store lose?

They lost $100…if you’re asking for the net loss/profit that’s not possible to answer without having other info on what the store paid for the product in the first place

$170.

He made off with $70 of groceries and only left other $30 out of $100.

I can see where the $200 came from from, but some of that went back to pay for inventory.

$170.

He made off with $70 of groceries and only left other $30 out of $100.

I can see where the $200 came from from, but some of that went back to pay for inventory.

This is wrong also. The $100 he took was money from items already paid for so if he's using that same $100 to purchase more it's going back in the till so it's a wash. He took $70 worth of product and then got $30 change so the store lost $100.

Let's say the store has $500 in the register, then they lost $100, so now they have $400. Then they lost $70 worth of product ($330) but got back the initial $100 ($430). After that they lost another $30 as change ($400). So they lost $100. I think... Or it could be $30 because he pretty much traded the stolen $100 for $30 and $70 worth of goods. So if we're talking strictly in a monetary sense they only lost $30.

Last edited:
$200

yes, the store "sells" the items to the thief but the store doesn't know that the $100 used is its own $100. So the store

1. Had $100 taken from them
  2. Sold $70 dollars worth of items bought with the stolen $100
  3. Gave $30 in change to the thief
To the store, it looks like it made a $70 sale when it actually made a $70 loss. The thief knows that they came out with free items that they needed and $30 in change that they never had in the first place.

The store can't get part of it back if the money paid for the items was stolen from them store in the first place.

You have to look at it like he stole $70 worth of items and got $30 change. The $100 he took out the register never actually went anywhere.

Back