Welcome To aBlackWeb

How important is a producer?

There's merit to this thread. The right beat can make or break a track.

Here's an example: Black Sheep's "The Choice Is Yours". This is the original version.

This one, however, is the version everybody knows because this was the one released to radio and video rotation:

^^^ That's the remix to it. Totally different energy and far more listenable. Both versions are on the Album "A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" but the original is on the A side of the tape/vinyl and the remix is at the very end on the B-side.

Another one: Special Ed's "The Magnificent". This is the version on the album:

And this is the version they released for the video:

I always used to skip over the Magnificent on that tape. But with a different beat the shit was just better, same lyrics but far more listenable.

Nah…you shittting on Hov G…and I understand it’s part of your “shtick” but you crazy if you think Jay been carried by beats…his lyrics are certified and anybody who think Jay not a top tier lyricist is in MY opinion hatin’

But like who you like and hate who you hate bruh

but what he's sayin is as great as you think Jay is, you still ain't ridin round jus bumpin the acapella

so in that case

the producer is very important

but what he's sayin is as great as you think Jay is, you still ain't ridin round jus bumpin the acapella

so in that case

What MUSICAL artist y’all ridin’ around listenin’ to straight vocals??

Tha producer is very important but trying to act like somebody at Jay’s status is there simply because of his beats is absurd

so in that case

Also…Jay is 1 of tha people who’s lyrics come across as visuals so IF I were to listen to acapella versions he’d work

Lyricists are still lyricist without beats…but party/dance artists wouldn’t work

Ras Kass had Aftermath and he was more lyrical than Game and Kendrick but still fail

Canibus and alot of more ppl.

Great production though is more than just about bangin beats…..it’s more about finding something that fits and helps accentuate the lyricist even MORE…

That’s why some lyricist match well with certain producers…..

Hit Boy and Nas for example are a match made in heaven….without that collab the KD series wouldn’t be as dope regardless of how amazing of a lyricist Nas is…

What MUSICAL artist y’all ridin’ around listenin’ to straight vocals??

Tha producer is very important but trying to act like somebody at Jay’s status is there simply because of his beats is absurd

Also…Jay is 1 of tha people who’s lyrics come across as visuals so IF I were to listen to acapella versions he’d work

Lyricists are still lyricist without beats…but party/dance artists wouldn’t work

bruh

the beats are half the reason

if Jay was spittin that shit on def poetry jam & not over Neptunes/Kanye/Just Blaze beats we wouldn't kno him as the Jay-Z we do

his acapellas are available now, so what's stoppin you from playin them?

cuz you wanna hear the beats that accompany those lyrics as well

:hahaha:

Maybe it’s just me but I think that weird era in hip hop during the late 00’s where artists stopped caring about lyrics and only beats and the hook has got the culture overthinking this shit…

No one wants to hear anyone sing or rap over a terribly produced track

But that doesn’t meant the lyricist has to “depend” on a trendy beat if you catch my drift

It all matters…..Kendrick Lamar himself said that him needing the right sound is what helps make his music more digestible

bruh

the beats are half the reason

if Jay was spittin that shit on def poetry jam & not over Neptunes/Kanye/Just Blaze beats we wouldn't kno him as the Jay-Z we do

his acapellas are available now, so what's stoppin you from playin them?

cuz you wanna hear the beats that accompany those lyrics as well

:hahaha:

Bruh what we doin’ here?!

How often do you listen to ANY artists acapella versions??

Again I’m not here to make anybody be a Jay Z fan but y’all gotta stop wit’ this ridiculous narrative that Jay only good cuz of his beats…

I’m past these dumbass Jay v Nas discussions too because Nas fans gonna feel how they feel as are Jay fans…but as a big fan of both I’m telling you MY opinion is Jay is JUST AS great a lyricist as Nas

So now where do we go from here??

Bruh what we doin’ here?!

How often do you listen to ANY artists acapella versions??

Again I’m not here to make anybody be a Jay Z fan but y’all gotta stop wit’ this ridiculous narrative that Jay only good cuz of his beats…

I’m past these dumbass Jay v Nas discussions too because Nas fans gonna feel how they feel as are Jay fans…but as a big fan of both I’m telling you MY opinion is Jay is JUST AS great a lyricist as Nas

So now where do we go from here??

it's not jus Jay-Z tho, in general

of course he's an example super would use lol

Jeezy be sayin sum shit, not as lyrical as Jay but, he's not where he's at sans Shawty Redd/etc.

Three 6 wouldn't still be influencing today if Paul & Juice beats wasn't knockin

you think Wu-Tang would've took off if Rza wasn't snappin?

No one is arguing that great production doesn’t help ACCENTUATE lyricists

What I believe Word is saying is that lyricists like Jay-Z isn’t just widely know for just his tracks but his overall lyrical ability and talent

Jay has the total package of a lyricist AND a great songwriter/Hit maker

Same as rappers like 50 Cent

I say it again and i said it before. The only reason why people put Jay above Nas is because Jay fucked Nas baby mother, or he married Beyonce or that he got more money.(add better production)

Bossie said it best. Jay only relevant because of Beyonce and his money

I say it again and i said it before. The only reason why people put Jay above Nas is because Jay fucked Nas baby mother, or he married Beyonce or that he got more money.

Nah….people put Jay above Nas because Jay knows how to make more accessible songs

But guess what? He’s still a top tier lyricist just like Nas is

Nas is a terrible freestyler….Jay on the other can write an entire album in his damn head.

Nas is more intricate….Jay is more loose

Respect to BOTH

I say it again and i said it before. The only reason why people put Jay above Nas is because Jay fucked Nas baby mother, or he married Beyonce or that he got more money.

That’s a dumbass take and I blame myself for even entertainin’ your stupid shit this long…

Word to @CAP 3.0

Back