Welcome To aBlackWeb

HBCU's

Didn't go there but you would think I did since I'm at the homecoming and football games every year.

Man you weren't the only one. I used to see people sneaking in the dorms to spend the night with relatives just to go to homecoming the next morning

I went to Southern University in Baton Rouge. Got my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. That was my best time ever. I'll never forget the experience that school gave me.
For high school, I went to an all boy, all black Catholic high school called St. Augustine. For our senior trip we went to Atlanta. We visited Morehouse. I really wanted to go there because of the culture and how embracing those brothers were when we visited. In the end I couldn't afford it and went with the school closer and for engineering.
Reading the op makes me angry because HBCUs are a symbol of hope and accomplishment in the black community especially with my family. I have a cousin who went to my school earlier than me for Law School at SUBR and is one of the best in the state. I have a few cousins who went to SUNO and Grambling for teaching. All those including myself are all well accomplished. One thing they taught me was never being ashamed of where you went to school. I hold my head proud to tell someone where I went and what I got my degree in. I can compete with anyone from those "big named" schools.

GOAT'd off Southern alone (My pops went there and played basketball)!

That PBS documentary did a beautiful job on talking about Southern.

Aint nothing like that yard. LOL.

Man I love my experience, wouldn't trade that shit in for nothing.

SU was the place to be smh LOL

SU.

Aint no women badder than the ones that came through Southern U. No campus had women like SU.

Aint no way of life on a college campus more rich than SU.

Sadly my HBCU Hampton is making bad headlines today. Smh. I'm disgusted right now

What happened? When I was in the Navy, I used to stay in Hampton Harbor Apartments right across from the Library.......some of the best years of my life even though I didn't attend Hampton because some of the students stayed in the same apartment complex

What happened? When I was in the Navy, I used to stay in Hampton Harbor Apartments right across from the Library.......some of the best years of my life even though I didn't attend Hampton because some of the students stayed in the same apartment complex

I stayed in the harbors too. That' one of the issues. They are letting non students stay there. 2 students recently got shot by non students in the harbors

I stayed in the harbors too. That' one of the issues. They are letting non students stay there. 2 students recently got shot by non students in the harbors

Same thing happened at A&T. Dude I knew and was cool with (same major and had a few classes together) was shot and killed coming back from a party. On some wrong place, wrong time shit.

I was on IG and saw a post that made me think about HBCU's and what they actually were meant for African Americans. Most people have never heard of the term "normalization school's" and what they were meant for but if you dig deep into you'll see that term first was used for our Native American breddren. Their children was forced to go to thise school's to strip them of their heritage and to make them more "normal" in the new white America.

Now fast forward to HBCUs popping up in the late 1700's and early 1800's. Little known fact that HBCU'S were in fact statted by white people who were either slave owner's and or abolishinist who wanted to "smarten" up the negro.

Now knowing about normalization school's and knowing about HBCU's. Does this taint HBCU'S a little or it doesn't matter in this day and age because the school's have evolved to something great?

Not tainted at all. Of course schools in the US were started by white folks. Hbcu can create uppityness but they need way more money

Here's the documentary about HBCUs.

http://www.pbs.org/video/tell-them-we-are-rising-the-story-of-black-colleges-and-uni-cheqjr/

Really good ass doc. Very informative about black ppl's education.

There's a part in there about how they treated an old man that wanted an education, shit was just crazy how they did us.

Blacks did start some HBCUs. Some were started by the AMA and federal gov't. That's all broken down in the documentary.

A few topics that were addressed in the documentary.

Slavery and what was the status of a slave's education
Talks about Booker T. Washington (dude was a coon)
Talks about Segregation, separate but equal.
The boycott at Howard (never knew this)
The Risk University Riot/boycott (never knew this)
The sit-in that started in NC. (never knew this)
How the game-changed when Southern University came into the front/leader of HBCUs world, boycott riot at Southern University (didn't know about how much of an impact SU had on the HBCU world)
Culture shock for kids today that attend HBCUs.

Very good ass documentary

Last edited:
As Gabi said, all of the shit here is diluted by CAC influence. I still hold HBCU's in high regard due to the fact that it's Usually Black Faculty,Black Youngins learning and connecting together. Blacks have the ability to take what was started in negativity, and turn it into something of value.

The educcation that one can obtain,at an HBCU is on par with a majority of PWIS. BAMA A&M has some outstanding programs that white ppl come thru and enroll for. Same with NC A&T, Texas Southern, and the tuition is cheaper!

I honestly wish that inner city schools had a pipeline for these schools, and more alumni would donate.

The other end of this is that some of these HBCUs are controlled by PWI boards, and are at their mercy.
and this is why white are now considering and attending Hbcus

As Gabi said, all of the shit here is diluted by CAC influence. I still hold HBCU's in high regard due to the fact that it's Usually Black Faculty,Black Youngins learning and connecting together. Blacks have the ability to take what was started in negativity, and turn it into something of value.

The educcation that one can obtain,at an HBCU is on par with a majority of PWIS. BAMA A&M has some outstanding programs that white ppl come thru and enroll for. Same with NC A&T, Texas Southern, and the tuition is cheaper!

I honestly wish that inner city schools had a pipeline for these schools, and more alumni would donate.

The other end of this is that some of these HBCUs are controlled by PWI boards, and are at their mercy.

I agree with your points.

Just to touch on that donating back point. I think we all are guilty of thinking why black alums don't give back, but if you think about it for a second, really dissect the issue on why we don't donate thousands and thousands of funding to these HBCUs, like cacs do to their PWI. It's a night and day issue.

The jobs and salaries we get is why. We don't get the same salaries, job titles, chances to give back like whites do.

The average HBCU alum graduates and most don't even work in their field, some are call center reps, helpdesk reps, working at Home Depot, UPS, Lowes etc. with degrees. We are not getting the 6 figures salaries, vs a white person who could go to a PWI and get network'd in with ppl, their dad knows, their mom knows, and boom they are coming out of that school with a position waiting on them that's 6 figures. They have the means to give back.

We come out, we're in debt, gotta live pay-check to pay-check, so there's really no room to give back and support like how we should.

Back