Welcome To aBlackWeb

HBCU's

I was on IG and saw a post that made me think about HBCU's and what they actually were meant for African Americans. Most people have never heard of the term "normalization school's" and what they were meant for but if you dig deep into you'll see that term first was used for our Native American breddren. Their children was forced to go to thise school's to strip them of their heritage and to make them more "normal" in the new white America.

Now fast forward to HBCUs popping up in the late 1700's and early 1800's. Little known fact that HBCU'S were in fact statted by white people who were either slave owner's and or abolishinist who wanted to "smarten" up the negro.

Now knowing about normalization school's and knowing about HBCU's. Does this taint HBCU'S a little or it doesn't matter in this day and age because the school's have evolved to something great?

It does taint the legacies of HBCU's because we were not taught the truth. I always thought it was built FUBU. We should be taught truth especially in "our own" schools. The positive is the fact that HBCU's have helped to educate and support a flourishing black community that otherwise would have been left behind.

I truly thought that all HBCU's were started by black people, freeman and ex-slaves to be exact. I never knew about the normalization schools. I thought it was open season, conform or die. I knew about whites creating the NAACP but it never crossed my mind that the same could be said for HBCU's.

Indoctrination is a motherfucker. I'm still stunned.

That doesn't really matter to me...I mean we still got civil war and confederate monuments honoring slave owners and have many institutions named after em. *shrug* damn near everything here with a long history has racist roots.

The issue I have with HBCU's that is more pertinent is that a lot of em are broke and not up to par academically or structurally. If you ain't Howard, Spelman, FAMU or Morehouse (and a few more I'm forgetting), your school probly ain't shit.

As a graduate of an HBCU (Delaware State, c/o ‘05), I believe most of us are aware of our school’s history as it pertains to how they were founded and how they get funding.

Yes, a ton of it is federally funded, but schools are making improvements and advancements every year to not rely on so much on the gov’t.

This issue is most Alumni don’t bother to actually GIVE back, so some of these schools stay in a run-down state for decades.

We can easily change the narrative if more of us contributed. There’s TONS of famous athletes, politicans, entertainers, lawyers, doctors, etc that come from these schools.

Hampton Alumn representing. FAMU been struggling ever since that kid in the band got killed on some hazing shit
I forgot about that. Remove FAMU from my list. Some of my cousins went there tho and they didn't have no complaints.

I went to Southern University in Baton Rouge. Got my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. That was my best time ever. I'll never forget the experience that school gave me.
For high school, I went to an all boy, all black Catholic high school called St. Augustine. For our senior trip we went to Atlanta. We visited Morehouse. I really wanted to go there because of the culture and how embracing those brothers were when we visited. In the end I couldn't afford it and went with the school closer and for engineering.
Reading the op makes me angry because HBCUs are a symbol of hope and accomplishment in the black community especially with my family. I have a cousin who went to my school earlier than me for Law School at SUBR and is one of the best in the state. I have a few cousins who went to SUNO and Grambling for teaching. All those including myself are all well accomplished. One thing they taught me was never being ashamed of where you went to school. I hold my head proud to tell someone where I went and what I got my degree in. I can compete with anyone from those "big named" schools.

As a graduate of an HBCU (Delaware State, c/o ‘05), I believe most of us are aware of our school’s history as it pertains to how they were founded and how they get funding.

Yes, a ton of it is federally funded, but schools are making improvements and advancements every year to not rely on so much on the gov’t.

This issue is most Alumni don’t bother to actually GIVE back, so some of these schools stay in a run-down state for decades.

We can easily change the narrative if more of us contributed. There’s TONS of famous athletes, politicans, entertainers, lawyers, doctors, etc that come from these schools.

Was just about to post this. At PWIs alumni contribut significant amounts of money and time

You would think that the family feel of HBCUs would encourage alumni to give back it dont and it sucks....sadly a lot of times you only hear from alumni around homecoming and if your alma plays in a traditional HBCU classic game.

I also wish more of our athletes would consider an HBCU and not get pimped by these big PWIs that see you only as a commodity. A product to be sold.

I attended Alabama A&M from 04-07’

I enlisted in the navy before I finished...

But I still consider myself an Alum...

The exp was incredible and two my three best friends are a result of my time at AAMU.

And like someone said earlier

There isnt much in America thats not rooted in or heavily influenced by racism and white supremacy

As Gabi said, all of the shit here is diluted by CAC influence. I still hold HBCU's in high regard due to the fact that it's Usually Black Faculty,Black Youngins learning and connecting together. Blacks have the ability to take what was started in negativity, and turn it into something of value.

The educcation that one can obtain,at an HBCU is on par with a majority of PWIS. BAMA A&M has some outstanding programs that white ppl come thru and enroll for. Same with NC A&T, Texas Southern, and the tuition is cheaper!

I honestly wish that inner city schools had a pipeline for these schools, and more alumni would donate.

The other end of this is that some of these HBCUs are controlled by PWI boards, and are at their mercy.

i was at the honda classic last weekend and it made me feel good just seeing nothing but black educated hbcu grads all throughout downtown atlanta

I actually participated in the Honda two years ago when I was the announcer for Lincoln University when they went (We had Musiq sing in our show. I'm on the microphone as the MC/Announcer.)

The Honda is pretty much the biggest black college event in the country now. I wonder how moving it out of Atlanta will go?

Supposedly, it’s being moved to New Orleans starting next year.

Last edited:
As Gabi said, all of the shit here is diluted by CAC influence. I still hold HBCU's in high regard due to the fact that it's Usually Black Faculty,Black Youngins learning and connecting together. Blacks have the ability to take what was started in negativity, and turn it into something of value.

The educcation that one can obtain,at an HBCU is on par with a majority of PWIS. BAMA A&M has some outstanding programs that white ppl come thru and enroll for. Same with NC A&T, Texas Southern, and the tuition is cheaper!

I honestly wish that inner city schools had a pipeline for these schools, and more alumni would donate.

The other end of this is that some of these HBCUs are controlled by PWI boards, and are at their mercy.

Know for a fact AAMU has a partnership with Auburns engineering program.

Also,

You have a much better chance of going to work in your field after graduation. Many companies and agencies specifically target HBCUs for internship and fellowship opportunities. We stayed having reps from all kind of companies in the engineering building.

Last edited:
I went to Southern University in Baton Rouge. Got my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. That was my best time ever. I'll never forget the experience that school gave me.
For high school, I went to an all boy, all black Catholic high school called St. Augustine. For our senior trip we went to Atlanta. We visited Morehouse. I really wanted to go there because of the culture and how embracing those brothers were when we visited. In the end I couldn't afford it and went with the school closer and for engineering.
Reading the op makes me angry because HBCUs are a symbol of hope and accomplishment in the black community especially with my family. I have a cousin who went to my school earlier than me for Law School at SUBR and is one of the best in the state. I have a few cousins who went to SUNO and Grambling for teaching. All those including myself are all well accomplished. One thing they taught me was never being ashamed of where you went to school. I hold my head proud to tell someone where I went and what I got my degree in. I can compete with anyone from those "big named" schools.

That's dope, bruh. You might be one of my liaisons in the near future. Before the year is out, I'm going back to school for the same thing.

That's dope, bruh. You might be one of my liaisons in the near future. Before the year is out, I'm going back to school for the same thing.

Good luck and congrats on going back. You need any pointers just hit me up. I graduated way back in 2005 but I still remember a lot of the material. There is a huge difference from learning something and memorizing something.
Which school you going to?

Good luck and congrats on going back. You need any pointers just hit me up. I graduated way back in 2005 but I still remember a lot of the material. There is a huge difference from learning something and memorizing something.
Which school you going to?

Cleveland State or Kent

Back