Welcome To aBlackWeb

So this is more about the guy who played the game and then made a career racing

12668522504_e06802ba02_o.jpg

I looked at his record so I may have just spoiled the movie for myself lol

I didn’t get the names mixed up. He looked darker in the pic in Wikipedia but meh. Still don’t seem like something I’d base a feature film around.

I won’t fault the movie being made

A Tetris movie just came out that

Difference is, that didn’t come out in theaters

Gran Turismo is based on the unbelievable true story of a team of unlikely underdogs – a struggling working-class gamer (Archie Madekwe), a failed former racecar driver (David Harbour), and an idealistic motorsport executive (Orlando Bloom). Together, they risk it all to take on the most elite sport in the world. Gran Turismo is an inspiring, thrilling, and action-packed story that proves that nothing is impossible when you’re fueled from within.

GRAND GRAN !!

PRAISE : I remember being obsessed with 3 car racing video games back in the day. Pole Position, Out Run and Hard Drivin and they took a lot of my hard earned quarters. So I could definitely relate to Jann's (Archie Madekwe) obsession with Gran Turismo in the movie who may have a chance to actually be a part of professional racing . I last saw Madekwe in Midsommar and he is excellent in this turning in a laser focused performance.
Also turning in an extremely believable performance is Djimon Hounsou as his concerned but loving father Steve. They both display a lot of raw emotion in some great scenes together.
Equally excellent is David Harbour as Jack Salter a veteran race car driver and mentor to Jann.
There is a great father,son and mentor dynamic throughout the movie which when is coupled with some very impressive SFX and camera work made this a very involving experience. I liked the game in the minds eye moments in the movie.
I thought they were going to go down an oily path with one character but fortunately they didn't.

PROBLEMS: I know people are going to complain about the tons of product placement in this movie but it didn't bother me.....well not much.
I wish a handful of characters had been developed more so when certain things played out it would have been far more effective. There was some head to head predictableness.

Not a bad movie to end the Summer with.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

Back