Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Ghostwriting

They didn't ? Rick Ross can be exposed for being a police officer and that's OK, Drake gets exposed for having writers (plural) on a major platform and fans shrug it off AND he wins the beef. Eminem dressing up as a woman, etc. Outta respect I'm not even gonna bring up Lil Wayne and Baby.

If this was the 90s that shit would have never been cool and they would have been ousted from rap but lo and behold they're the biggest rap stars out. If the rules ain't change you have to explain why they still have careers.

I can post madddddddd interviews from rappers who said Drake is no longer eligible as being a top 5 MC. Again, most of these casual fans are idiots and stans, I don't gaf what they say and plus Meek pretty much killed himself.

The other antics you're talking about is just that, antics, I'm talking about MC'N

Listen... it may have been possible on some of the Geto Boys albums...

I know in NWA both the D.O.C. and MC Ren were ghostwriting... but Ice Cube was such a hot lyricist, why would he need help like Dre and Eazy who were both non-rappers? Remember Eazy saying right in the song "Ice Cube writes the rhymes, that I say..."

There were a few wack Geto Boys songs (I hate to admit it)... I'll blame Willie D for those...haha

Willie D, wrote the early ghetto boy verses because Face didn't know how to rap.

Same thing with Cam teaching Jimmy early on

As long as Willie didn't actually write, not contribute, but write stuff for faces's solo stuff, then take Face out the discussion

Willie D, wrote the early ghetto boy verses because Face didn't know how to rap.

Same thing with Cam teaching Jimmy early on

As long as Willie didn't actually write, not contribute, but write stuff for faces's solo stuff, then take Face out the discussion

Alright, this is a bit different then.
Finding out that Scarface doesn't write at all to me would be like finding out the Easter Bunny isn't real to a kid...

Big Daddy Kane wrote a lot of Roxanne Shante and Biz Markie's rhymes for their album singles because they had a hard time making "songs"...

However, they are both dope lyricists on their own (especially freestyles)... do we dismiss people like them for getting help?

Both Goldie and Sion have excellent points

Yes they are entertainers...however part of the allure or draw of hip hop

is the perceived authenticity of the artist and the lyrics...

Yes the genre is evolving and things change...so I agree with you sion on that

however...the foundations that it was built on are still there...so

yeah

a guy like Drake, Ye, hell even Puff and Dre will be or are considered goat ARTISTS and ENTERTAINERS within the genere

but you cant be a top 5 lyricist... a MC if you dont write any of your own shit....PERIOD.

and to add on

in R&B, Rock & Roll etc

being able to write your own songs does hold a lot more weight than you realize

artists like Beyonce and Usher....considered the elites of R&B do get songs and hits from others, however they have the ability to write thier own shit as well.

even tho its not as frowned upon in other genres...or at least not out in the open like it is with Hip Hop...songwriting skill does matter for an artist in other genres

I've said it before and I'll say it again;

You are a talented rapper and you write your own rhymes, but suppose on this particular day you are chillin in the studio and one of your homies has a hot 16 bar verse, I don't see anything wrong with saying your homies 16 bar verse.

If you consider that the artist has a contract and his label is promoting his image, it only makes sense for said artist to say his homie's verse. As long as he gives him a. writing credit or b. a couple of stacks and a shout out I don't see the problem.

I listened to a song Willie D said that he wrote (Aint With Being Broke off their 2nd album), they were def all rapping like him. Willie D was a solo artist too, so I wouldn't be surprised if J Prince decided to put a few of his songs on Geto Boys albums (like what happened to Mind Playin Tricks).

But yeah, Face isn't considered top 5 for his Ghetto boys shit anyway.

and to add on

in R&B, Rock & Roll etc

being able to write your own songs does hold a lot more weight than you realize

artists like Beyonce and Usher....considered the elites of R&B do get songs and hits from others, however they have the ability to write thier own shit as well.

even tho its not as frowned upon in other genres...or at least not out in the open like it is with Hip Hop...songwriting skill does matter for an artist in other genres

Yeah I agree, also to add to it, whats more is in other genres they cover other artists songs too, often because the songs maybe an old gospel or traditional folk songs etc or from other genres where artists take an old song from say a Country or Blues song and turn it into a Rock n Roll or pop song or visa versa...

You dont really have that option in hip hop imo because it would be like a poet plagiarising another poets writings or even a journalists writings etc hip hop isnt like other music, I think youre suppose to be a) showing off your own lyrical dexterity and wit etc and b) telling people your own views and story etc

Also I believe in other genres you can show off your musical talents with your voice by hitting crazy notes and doing things with your voice that people can only dream of, so the fact they cant write a song isnt really that big a deal... But if you can sing like a GOAT and write (and/or play an instrument) people really do see you as an extra special musician... Im talking about legends like Mariah, Frank Sinatra, Whitney, Elton and Nina Simone here, not the pop stars of today...

Last edited:
MJ wrote most of his songs though, especially his big hits... Again like I said in my post above I believe its different for real singers... Being a kid in J5 is different, you cant really expect a 6 year old to write their own songs, the fact he can sing and dance like an adult is mind boggling enough..

Last edited:
And LL imo atleast wrote all his stuff until/after the G.O.A.T (his last great album imo) after that I think he really consintrated on his acting and then after maybe got help song writting trying to keep in touch with the younger genoration...

Last edited:
Yeah I'm pretty sure LL wrote all of his early stuff.

And I haven't seen any concrete proof that he used ghostwriters later on.

Back