Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Ghostwriting

Goldie

You Niggas Starvin 😂
Site Owner
In your opinion, can a rapper that has used a ghostwriter before be top 5 MC status?

Eazy E, Kanye West, Ice Cube, Scarface, Lil' Kim (ladies), Foxy (ladies), Game to name a few have all used writers. Eazy E is hailed as the pioneer for gangsta rap and one of the best to do it, his influence is undeniable and purists can't refute that. Kanye West is self explanatory - there's no way he's not top 5 alive to do it PERIOD. Scarface also self explanatory.

In every other genre writing is the norm but in rap it's chastised. You have to realize these younger kids don't give a fuck they still bump Drake, worship Ye and to us Cube, Eazy, Facemob are gods. Niggas can get choosy and try to downplay them but the history books say something completely different.

I find that rap fans are stupid at times - rap is still one of the only mediums where we KNOW it's fictional and purely entertainment but still expect the rapper to be every bit of the fantasy possible. If a rapper gets found out to not have killed all the people he claimed to on a song people get mad, when the rapper actually goes out and kills people we say he's stupid. SMMFH eazy E was like 23 no way in hell he killed aalll those people, or sold enough drugs to make Pablo Escobar look small time. It's JUST entertainment, stop giving rappers all this power, stop worshipping them.

I disagree 100% lol But let's break this down one at a time.

When has Game used ghostwriters?

Yeah because you're still holding on to the rap music you came up on and that's ok. But don't change the fact that songwriting is going to become the norm in rap music. Or that Kanye West is hands down one of the most influential rappers EVER.

50 Cent wrote Westside Story, How We Do, Hate It Or Love It, Put You On The Game, Higher and Church For Thugs. He said that in many interviews.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1497638/50-cent-and-the-game-doomed-from-the-very-beginning/

https://www.ballerstatus.com/2015/0...the-massacre-landed-on-games-the-documentary/

You're talking about hooks. I don't think anybody has a problem with rappers having help with hooks and bridges, we're talking about verses.

So because something is becoming the normal it should be embraced? That's the problem, niggas don't have integrity anymore and that's not something I'll ever subscribe to.

Goldie I think the disconnect is people view having a writer as a bad thing when it's not. Like it's so common in every genre of music but shunned in rap when it's even more evident now because rap is pop music now.

Fam the biggest rapper out Drake was found out to have another nigga write for him on a major scale and won a rap beef and is even more famous and successful today than before. Let that marinate for a minute. To us we'll say that shit about not being able to be top 5 MC but to these kids coming up they don't give a fuck and they're gonna be the ones making these new top 5 lists. That just comes with age and growing up fam. Old heads before us would argue Rakim and BDK were far better than Pac and Big but that the latter had sales and that's the only difference. Who are we to say who's right or wrong tho ??

Being a writer in HIPHOP was and will always be the essence of what hiphop is. I fuck with kanye and drake heavy, but the rules don't change for anybody. You can be a great artist with writers but when it comes to being an MC, that shit aint allowed, period.

LOOOOOLLLLOOOLLL 50 Cent was on the hook of Church For Thugs, Higher and other songs ?? He said he wrote half of Game's album LMAO. He likely gave Game reference tapes because all those songs were originally 50 Cent songs intended for the Massacre.

You have to realise that part of rap music and hip hop was meant to evolve. It's not a bad thing,you can still be authentic even if you didn't write the song because it's entertainment. We give full credit to actors for things the directors and screenwriters are responsible for in roles they play. But don't do the same in rap music.

Beyonce didn't write a lot of her songs we don't say she isn't authentic. Nelly is one of the biggest G's in rap but chooses to make happy go lucky songs instead of the street shit. The problem is we need to stop putting musicians on a pedestal and stop trying to box them into the roles we think they should play.

He wrote hooks , game addressed this already. Like I said, nobody cares about hook writing, we're talking about verses.

No it ain't the Bboying, MCing (to move the crowd), graffiti and DJing are the 4 cornerstones of hip-hop. If you want to confine it to being just a lyricist I can agree with you but rap by far transcended lyricism a long time ago. Snoop Dogg is the biggest global icon in Hip-Hop period and he's had writers and sure AF ain't a top 20 lyricist.

I'm not talkign about the elements of hiphop , I'm talking about MC'n.

I can find an interview from any of the golden era mcs (rakim, bdk, etc) and they will echo what im saying. Niggas trying to change the rules for their favorite rappers who use writers.

But there's different kinds of MC - move the crowd/master of ceremonies just means for someone to control the party and move the crowd. Busy Bee is an MC but he's not super lyrical as Kool Moe Dee. You mean lyricism, and lyricism isn't the sole aspect of hip-hop. It's one component of the elements but you can't just say a lyrical rapper is the only standard when there are others who defy that. Run DMC weren't lyrical messiahs like a Lupe Fiasco, Raekwon, Eminem or Andre 3000 but they could also move the crowd.

You see what I'm saying ? Like nobody is gonna say sorry but Kanye West can't be a GOAT considering A. His body of work is undeniable B. His influence is undeniable and C. He's incredibly talented and pushed the envelope for music and raised the bar on every level. You're not denying him that just because he had other rappers write for him from time to time.

U can try to change the word for it, whether you want to call it rapper, lyricist, mc, etc. At the end of the day, if you're not creating the lyrics you can not being considered the goat lyricist/rapper/mc/etc.

Back