Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

test
https://www.boxingscene.com/rigondeaux-training-with-ronnie-shields-pbc-corner-too--133922

Rigondeaux Training With Ronnie Shields, PBC in Corner Too
By Elisinio Castillo

Veteran trainer Ronnie Shields is now training another Cuban fight with deep amateur credentials.

Former world champion and two-time Olympic gold medal winner Guillermo Rigondeaux is now working with Shields, according to George Ebro.

Rigondeaux arrived on Sunday to Houston to start working with Shields, who took another Cuban, Erislandy Lara, to the very top.

Until a few weeks ago, Rigondeaux (17-1, 11 KOs) responded to the technical orders of another prestigious professor, Pedro Díaz.

According to sources from Rigondeaux's team, the decision to get Sheilds is not a reflection of the relationship with Diaz.

Together with Rigondeaux, coach and ex-boxer Ramón Garbey and the young warrior Eduardo Pérez made the trip from Miami.

"There's a very good atmosphere here at the Shields gym," said Perez. "Seeing Lara with Rigondeaux is something really positive. There is a lot of unity. The only bad thing is the cold.''

Shields, a forger of champions like the Charlo brothers, has been with Lara for a decade and now also assumed the training of double amateur champion Joahnys Argilagos, who must debut as a professional sometime in January.

Although confirmation is still awaited, Rigondeaux team sources are pointing to a return of December 22 or in the first half of January, now under the banner of Premier Boxing Champions.

Luis DeCubas Jr., who is very close to PBC head and powerful boxing adviser Al Haymon, has supervised the arrival of Rigondeaux to the banner which has television deals with Fox Sports and Showtime.

Rigondeaux has been inactive since moving up in weight, by two full divisions, to suffer a TKO loss at the hands of Vasyl Lomachenko in December 2017.

One of the big problems that plagued Rigondeaux was inactivity in the last three years of his career, to the point of fighting twice in 2013, twice in 2014, once in 2015, once in 2016 and twice in 2017 .

Rigo should’ve made this move once got away from Top Rank.. But now this nigga is on downside of his career...

https://www.boxingscene.com/gervonta-davis-says-hell-fight-abner-mares-february-9-socal--133931

Gervonta Davis Says He'll Fight Abner Mares February 9 In SoCal
By Keith Idec

After fighting once this year, Gervonta Davis expects to box three times in 2019.

According to Davis, he’ll battle Abner Mares in the first of those three fights. The WBA “super” super featherweight champ told the Los Angeles Times’ Lance Pugmire on Tuesday in Beverly Hills that he’ll square off against Mares on February 9.

Davis added that the fight will be held at an arena in Southern California, but didn’t specify a venue. Showtime is expected to televise the Davis-Mares match.

Davis was in Beverly Hills on Tuesday to attend a press conference at the Waldorf Astoria hotel for the Manny Pacquiao-Adrien Broner pay-per-view fight January 19 in Las Vegas. Broner and Davis are close friends and are trained by Kevin Cunningham.

The 23-year-old Davis is from Baltimore, but the powerful southpaw will come to Mares’ backyard if their fight does take place in Southern California. Mares (31-3-1, 15 KOs), a Mexican-American boxer, was raised and still resides in the Los Angeles area.

Davis (20-0, 19 KOs) last fought April 21, when he stopped Argentina’s Jesus Cuellar (28-3, 21 KOs) in the third round to win the WBA 130-pound title at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Mares edged Cuellar by split decision in their 12-rounder nearly two years ago at USC’s Galen Center in Los Angeles. Mares captured the WBA world featherweight title by beating Cuellar.

Assuming he faces Davis next, Mares, who’ll turn 33 on November 28, will move up from featherweight to junior lightweight. In his last fight, Mares lost a 12-round unanimous decision to WBA “super” featherweight champion Leo Santa Cruz (35-1-1, 19 KOs) in their rematch June 9 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

See this is the bullshit with boxing, promoters and fighters that fans absolutely hate. This was a from Sat. mailbag on boxingscene. Why the fuck would Spence waste time fighting 2 non belt holding PBC standouts instead of fighting Crawford? I know Spence said he wanted to fight 3X last year who the fuck knows what's going to happen in 2019 with his 1st fight being in March. I know the answer Breadman gave isn't facts but the shit adds up and makes sense. Especially since his fight Julian Williams is with PBC he knows how PBC operates.

Did you see the back n forth between Terence Crawford and Errol Spence? If not you missed that they made a million dollar bet on who would win. They were respectful but I think it did them good to pump their fight up. Who do you think wins and how big is this superfight?

Bread’s Response: I can’t say who wins yet because the fight won’t happen until at least 2020. Spence doesn’t fight often enough to clean out the PBC roster before then. Spence’s last fight was in June of 2018. He’s not scheduled to fight until March of 2019. There is a chance he won’t fight again in 2019. Remember he didn’t fight again in 2017 after he beat Kell Brook in May of that year. If Spence fought 3x/year just twice, he would have Terminator reviews. Tyson and GGG did it when they first hit the scene. If helps the killer clear out the carnage.

The PBC welterweight don’t seem interested in fighting Spence. If they were he wouldn’t have to fight Mikey Garcia. And from a business perspective I can’t see Spence vs Crawford getting made until Spence at least unifies with the other PBC titlist and he fights at least two PBC standouts. That won’t happen until at least 2020 or later. I don’t mean to be a buzz kill but just think about what I said and research.

https://www.boxingscene.com/adonis-stevenson-endures-post-sergey-kovalev-hype--134114

Adonis Stevenson Endures Post-Sergey Kovalev Hype
By Lem Satterfield

It was early 2014, and the stage appeared to be set for a monster 175-pound unification supremacy clash on HBO between Haitian-born Canadian southpaw Adonis “Superman” Stevenson and Russian Sergey “The Krusher” Kovalev.

Stevenson was coming off his second WBC title defense and 10th straight stoppage victory in November 2013 at the Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec City, Canada, represented by a sixth-round TKO of future cruiserweight champion Tony Bellew that raised his record to 23-1 with 20 knockouts.

On the same card, Kovalev scored his seventh straight stoppage and 11th in 12 fights via second-round TKO over Ismayle Sillah. "The Krusher” then improved to 24-0-1 (22 KOs) in March 2014, scoring three knockdowns during his second defense and seventh-round KO of previously unbeaten Cedric Agnew.

Stevenson was 13-1, with 13 knockouts in 14 fights since being stopped in the second round by Darnell Boone in April 2010. “Superman” had gone 4-0 In 2013, in succession stopping Boone, champions Chad Dawson and Tavoris Cloud and Bellew in the sixth, first, seventh and sixth rounds.

Dawson was a title-winning 76-second knockout in June of that year, and Cloud was stopped for the first time in his career that September.

But the Stevenson-Kovalev clash never materialized.

Stevenson took "a better financial offer" from rival Showtime to fight in May 2014 against Andrzej Fonfara, whom he floored once each in the third and fifth rounds before rising from the deck himself in the ninth of his unanimous decision victory.

On Saturday, the 41-year-old Stevenson (29-1-1, 24 KOs) pursues his 10th defense and seventh knockout during that time against Ukrainian Oleksander Gvozdyk (15-0, 12 KOs) at Centre Videotron in Quebec City on Showtime (7:45 ET/ 4:45 PT).

“Superman” is boxing’s oldest and reigning champion, having gone 16-0-1 with 14 KOs since losing to Boone, 9-0-1 with seven KOs in championship bouts. He desires unifications with counterparts Artur Beterbiev (IBF), Dmitry Bivol (WBA) and Eleider Alvarez (WBO).

“I have no regrets. I’ve made all the right moves,” said Stevenson, who signed with powerful advisor, Al Haymon, in February 2014.“I’m financially stable and I could retire right now if I wanted to, but I’m still hungry to train hard and motivated to be the best.”

The 35-year-old Kovalev (32-3-1, 28 KOS), meanwhile, is a twice dethroned former IBF/WBA/WBO champion, having gone 2-3 in his past five fights with two each in stoppage wins and knockout losses.

Kovalev was 30-0-1 (26 KOs) with eight title defenses and stoppages against 10 of 12 previous opponents before suffering consecutive losses to two-division champion Andre Ward in November 2016 and June 2017.

The now retired Ward (32-0, 16 KOs) rose from 168-pounds for his third and fourth appearances at 175 pounds. “SOG” was dropped in the second round of his unanimous decision victory in their first fight, but more decisively took their second by eighth-round TKO.

Kovalev rebounded in November 2017 and March with consecutive second- and seventh-round TKOs of Vyacheslav Shbranskyy and Igor Mikhalkin, earning the WBO’s vacant crown with the former and defending it with the latter.

But Kovalev was dethroned once again in August by Eleider lvarez (24-0, 12 KOs), whose seventh-round knockout ended with three, final-round knockdowns.

“Kovalev was basically done after being knocked out in his rematch with Andre Ward,” said Stevenson. “It was like he was mentally and physically shot, and Alvarez did it to him again.”

Stevenson points to his victory over Bellew as proof of his substantial resume.

Not only has Bellew scored back-to-back 11th- and fifth-round KOs of former heavyweight champion David Haye in March and May, but lost by come-from-behind eighth-round stoppage on November 10 to unified, four-belt cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk.

“When I beat Tony Bellew, they said it was nothing. But when the Ukrainian, Usyk, beats Bellew, all of a sudden it’s a big deal and, ‘this is a big champion.'…So now Usyk is a monster and he’s unbeatable…one of the best fighters, pound-for-pound. But, hey, when I beat Tony Bellew, that was a young, hungry Tony Bellew,” said Stevenson.

“Usyk beat an old Tony Bellew, and, still, when they fought, Bellew was winning the fight before Uysk knocked him out. I thought Tony Bellew was dominating the fight, but when I fought Bellew, he couldn’t win one round. And then, I destroyed Tony Bellew, easily. So the Tony Bellew who fought Usyk was not on the same level as the guy who fought me. So this is another hype job.”

Stevenson strives to continue proving he’s not over the hill but rather still king of it. His eighth defense was his swiftest in June 2017, a one-knockdown, first-round stoppage in his Fonfara rematch.

But in his last fight in May, Stevenson battled to a draw with two-division champion Badou Jack.

“There were some people who thought I was gonna lose that fight with Badou Jack,” said Stevenson. “But I showed that even though I’m 41 years old, I’m still ‘The Superman.’My goal is to unify and to become the undisputed champion, but first, I have to beat Gvozdyk.”

Wilder got extra hype when he said "my ppl been fighting for 400 years and still fighting"...nigga looked stupid MAD
Wilder bout to crush Fury

Back