Welcome To aBlackWeb

Fair or Foul: child gets his locs cut off for being bad in school?

I mean as parent I’ve always felt this type of public embarrassment is lame. Stuff like coming to your kid class cuz they act up is cool. But I don’t believe in cutting hair for punishment.
Depends on the offense
If the offense is tied to some “look at me” “my identity” “I’m the main player” type shit then yeah…

Fair.

Punishment gotta fit the offense.

It’s late February, lil man likely been getting threatened all year long.

I think what makes it more traumatic is the fact that the parents or whoever recorded it and posted it to online platforms. Then they sitting there laughing which is humiliating.

As if cutting his hair off without the world knowing wasn’t enough. I’ve threatened to cut my son locs off and that was enough to get his ass together.

Name any punishment or discipline and that statement still applies.

“After you put him in time out…”

“After you take his PlayStation…”

“After you tell him come straight home from school, no going outside to play…”

“After you beat his ass with a belt…”

I don’t know if you have kids, but correction is not a “one time and it’s fixed” deal. It’s about consistency. After a while they get the message.

It’s on you as the parent to make them understand actions have consequences.
People will differ I don't plan on using a belt with my son because getting a weapon to discipline a child always seemed crazy to me. If you take the other things you said at least you can rationalize with the kid that these things are luxuries that kids that do what they are supposed to do get to do. Having hair isn't what I consider a luxury. So if I keep a bald fade I can act up all I want. You set yourself up to always have to up the ante when you choose that route

People will differ I don't plan on using a belt with my son because getting a weapon to discipline a child always seemed crazy to me. If you take the other things you said at least you can rationalize with the kid that these things are luxuries that kids that do what they are supposed to do get to do. Having hair isn't what I consider a luxury. So if I keep a bald fade I can act up all I want. You set yourself up to always have to up the ante when you choose that route

This is a bad circular argument because, again, no matter what you put there, a child will eventually “act up again”.

Even if you “rationalize” with the kid. I’m pretty sure this parent has tried talking to the kid several times over about his behavior.

At some point you have to move past admonishment and into discipline.

Because once your kid know you’re all talk, and no follow up, this how you end up with them bad lil demons with no respect for authority, because you will have taught them NONE.

Parents been using haircuts as punishment for ever…not an issue…

I’m not even really mad at tha barbershop “shit talkin’” tbh cuz that’s where you’re supposed to be gettin’ those kinda “harsh realities”…at tha shop

Buuut filming and social media’n it, especially wit’ seein’ how bad he took, is where I find tha fault…but that part is whack when a lot of things are done for that purpose 🤷🏽‍♂️

This is a bad circular argument because, again, no matter what you put there, a child will eventually “act up again”.

Even if you “rationalize” with the kid. I’m pretty sure this parent has tried talking to the kid several times over about his behavior.

At some point you have to move past admonishment and into discipline.

Because once your kid know you’re all talk, and no follow up, this how you end up with them bad lil demons with no respect for authority, because you will have taught them NONE.
It's less of a circular argument and more of a difference of approach. In the end we both agree that there has to be a negative consequence to bad behavior. I'm not trying to say you can finger wag a child into doing better. I'm sure everyone agrees it wasn't necessary to post it so I feel like that's understood. If this is the current standard where does it go next? I didn't like the haircut route because it's so shortterm that it's not solving the whole problem. You don't need to rationalize with the kid, imo you should look for a solution with more staying power

Yeah the filming was some ol bullshit.

At that point the punishment was no longer a punishment. It winds up being catharsis for the parent.

So essentially the parents feelings are hurt and they are showing their kid the extremes that parent sees as normal.

Should have stopped at cutting off the dreads.

Shit is super foul. They violated.
My parents let my sister fuck my head up one time. Tried to make me go to school with my hair all fucked up with patches and shit but they accidentally activated the “skip school” card in the process. Basically walked with my friends to school then immediately walked back home and everyone was already gone for the day. Shit just went downhill from there.

With these “fair or foul” threads… I think at this point we should remove the whole “filming/posting” aspect of it, because clearly we ALL hate it. And everyone commenting on that makes the thread redundant and pointless.

Whenever the topic of punishing kids comes up it always reminds me how disturbing I find it how much some parents seem to enjoy punishing and outright embarrassing their kids. The ability to put it on social media has only made this worse. it's entirely possible that instead of whatever lesson the parent thought the kid was learning was replaced with a memory of them laughing while their kid is going through an emotional ass moment and that's not something that's going to instill discipline in your child but instead is a way to breed resentment and more disciplinary outbursts because they don't respect you.

Back