Welcome To aBlackWeb

499CA194-3B75-4B63-8BD0-C7933DF78110.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/feb/12/esquire-cover-story-american-boy-black-history-month

Esquire criticized for white 'American Boy' cover during Black History Month

Magazine profiles a Wisconsin teen growing up in era of ‘social media, school shootings, toxic masculinity and a divided country’

Esquire magazine has sparked a social media backlash with a cover featuring a white, middle-class teenager from Wisconsin.

The magazine’s March issue profiles Ryan Morgan, a 17-year-old growing up in West Bend who is pictured on the cover with the headline: “An American Boy: What it’s like to grow up white, middle class and male in the era of social media, school shootings, toxic masculinity and a divided country.”

In an accompanying article, the magazine’s editor wrote that Morgan’s story was the first instalment of a “a series on growing up now – white, black, LGBTQ, female” that will continue in forthcoming issues.

“What we asked [author Jennifer Percy] to do – and she did brilliantly – was to look at our divided country through the eyes of one kid,” editor Jay Fielden wrote, under the headline: “Why Your Ideological Echo Chamber Isn’t Just Bad For You.”

Percy’s story follows Morgan, a quiet high school senior who likes the Green Bay Packers and hanging out with his girlfriend, isn’t crazy about school but has pulled up his grades over the years, and hopes to work at a local water plant after graduation and become an environmental scientist.

Morgan is not overly political – saying he’s not one of the “white guys who all hang out with their trucks and guns and say, ‘Heil Trump’ and all that” – but considers himself a moderate with some conservative views that have gotten him heat at school.

“I couldn’t say anything without pissing someone off,” he told the magazine. “Everyone hates me because I support Trump? … I couldn’t debate anyone without being shut down and called names. Like, what did I do wrong?”

Nonetheless, some online commenters panned the cover choice, noting that it came during Black History Month.

“Because you know what we don’t discuss nearly enough? The white male experience,” sports journalist Jemele Hill wrote on Twitter.

“Seriously, when I saw it I assumed it was a joke. Esquire does not know how to read the room,” said author Chuck Wendig.

“As a white, middle-class male I think it’s safe for me to say we’re not going through much,” added Twitter user Sam Craig.

“I do not mind that there exists an article somewhere in the world about young white boys of privilege needing to relearn about masculinity. I do mind that it’s on the cover of @ esquire during Black History Month,” tweeted Abigail Collazo.

the picture gets funnier with the serious tweets

buddy really looks troubled....I wonder how many shots it took to capture the "what about me" look in Brent's eyes lmao

look like he got a winchester 30.06 under the bed right damn now

i can definitely see this grabbing the attention and "hearts" of young, frustrated trump supporters nationwide.....probably buy 3 copies

this trend is played already, but as long as people eat it up I cant blame these companies for taking a piece

Poor Jared.

But BDP is right tho. This shyt is a troll cover to sell magazines.

Everything is about marketing and making money.

This Rebel chick was at the Grammys in some Trump gimmick attire. Everyone in the comments say they don’t know who she is but they search her... she’s now marketed and making money.

They all jump aboard the troll train to sell their souls for a dollar

It is hard being a white boy I bet

They gay(and have homophobia at the same time), crazy, pedos, mass shooters, scary and racist.

LMAO

I know you guys disagree with this, but there is some logic to this idea. Studies looking at street signs in New York and other major urban areas found that people end up confused about what to do because the signs always say "don't park at this time" or "Dont turn right at this light between these hours" instead of just straight up telling you what you can actually do. This ends up leading to lots of rule breaking and taking up way more time to make a decision when you're on the road. If you take the same idea and apply it to other rules, you get a similar result.

Activists and feminists and politicians are so focused on telling us the bullshit we need to not do that there is not really a clear idea of what exactly we are supposed to do.

I know you guys disagree with this, but there is some logic to this idea. Studies looking at street signs in New York and other major urban areas found that people end up confused about what to do because the signs always say "don't park at this time" or "Dont turn right at this light between these hours" instead of just straight up telling you what you can actually do. This ends up leading to lots of rule breaking and taking up way more time to make a decision when you're on the road. If you take the same idea and apply it to other rules, you get a similar result.

Activists and feminists and politicians are so focused on telling us the bullshit we need to not do that there is not really a clear idea of what exactly we are supposed to do.
This shit is retarded. Has nothing to do with disagreeing lol. Bruh it just sounds like you don't know how to read traffic signs and using it to make a garbage analogy. This cover is about how "tough" white boys have it, not what people are telling them they can and can not do. The point is they have it easy in this country compared to minorities.

Last edited:
This shit is retarded. Has nothing to do with disagreeing lol. Bruhnit just sounds like you don't know how to read traffic signs and using it to make a garbage analogy. This cover is about how "tough" white boys have it, not what people are telling them they can and can not do. The point is they have it easy in this country compared to minorities.

That doesn't change the fact that telling people what they can't do is confusing compared to telling them what they can do. This is part of why psychologists say punishment is not as good as reward.

I was not involved in that study btw so idk why you're trying to throw salt at me as if that changes anything that I said.

So what?

White people can't talk about themselves during black history month?

That doesn't change the fact that telling people what they can't do is confusing compared to telling them what they can do. This is part of why psychologists say punishment is not as good as reward.

I was not involved in that study btw so idk why you're trying to throw salt at me as if that changes anything that I said.
The problem with your theory is a little thing called "white privilege" so they do what they want regardless. There is nothing confusing about directions. These white boys are not being told anything outside of what everyone else is told. Oh you mean being told that racism is wrong? LOL funny how they are the only ones who need to be told that. I wonder why? Also no one is salty, you just made no sense. Maybe you have trouble understanding that?

I dont wanto wait for our lives to be over' i want to know right now what will it be. I don't want to wait for our lives to be over

Will it be yes or will it be sorry?

Dododododdododododododo

The problem with your theory is a little thing called "white privilege" so they do what they want regardless. There is nothing confusing about directions. These white boys are not being told anything outside of what everyone else is told. Oh you mean being told that racism is wrong? LOL funny how they are the only ones who need to be told that. I wonder why? Also no one is salty, you just made no sense. Maybe you have trouble understanding that?

I don't think I buy into that. Male privilege exists as well, but one thing we see on college campuses is that boys are told all the time "don't do this" and "don't do that" and it's creating some weird situations for these campus courts that deal with all these battles of the sexes and for the young men who know everything they can't be but don't get a lot of guidance about what they should be.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a tragedy, but it's definitely something weird that happens when you don't give people ideas of what they should do and only tell them what they can't do

White dudes feel ignored in the wake of all this diversity. Middle aged white men is the biggest demographic of people that commit suicide. Something is, in fact, going on with them.

I dont really give a fuck tho... =/

Back