Welcome To aBlackWeb

ESPN: The Last Dance ('98 Bulls Doc)

I’d be mad too, but that portrayal of Scottie is obviously how Jordan saw him. He gave him props, but also thought he was weak at times. I don’t think there were any lies told and all Jordan can give is his opinion.
He straight up said without Scottie Pippin there is no champion Michael Jordan and that he should always be mentioned when they mention him,so they asked him questions and he was honest about how he felt I don't know what people want... the lie?

I just thought this is funny....

98427653_10220320205928066_4095787633597218816_n.jpg

And that's the thing: we're looking at two different versions of "success."

You're talking about a peak, or a small period of greatness. I'm talking about literal DECADES of excellence. Let's not act like Songs in the Key of Life, Talking Book, and Innervisions weren't as influencial to American music either.

On his own, Mike's peak was 82 (Thriller)-87 (Bad). I admit: NO other artist had that type of success as a solo act that could match what Mike did. Thriller is still the highest selling album ever. Bad was literally an album of Top 10 (mostly #1) hits. That's a three-peat, plus the 72-10 season in itself.

But Stevie has been consistently excellent through the 60s, 70, 80s, and even a early part of the 90s.

Greatness is not a race. Whether you do it in 1 year, or 50, it's still greatness. I'd actually argue that the more longer career is admirable, cause we've seen stars burn bright for 1-2 years, and in 5 years, completely fade from the industry. Not to say that was happening with Mike, but Stevie just got a more sustained period of high acclaim for his craft.

And that's what the Mike vs. Kareem debate bases down to: 91-98 (with 94 and half of 95 off) vs. the entire 70s AND 80s.

I agree with this completely.

It depends on your definition of “success”.

To me it’s far more impressive to be literally untouchable .. almost God like at your craft for an 8 year stretch... and by the way - insanely good even before that.

Than to be very very good for 20 years.

The former is almost impossible to replicate EVER again.

The latter has been approximated and arguably replicated a few different times

It’s just preference

So you don’t have numbers and just speaking on personal preference?

Cool. Just mention that ahead of time so I know to ignore it next time.

I could make a poll but don't want to embarrass you. Just think of all the dynasties in the NBA since 1980 and the personalities.

1980's Lakers Celtics
89-90 Bad Boy Pistons
91-93 3 Peat Jordan Bulls

94-95 Houston Rockets
96-98 2nd 3 Peat Jordan Bulls
2000-2002 Shaq Kobe Lakers

I could make a poll but don't want to embarrass you. Just think of all the dynasties in the NBA since 1980 and the personalities.

1980's Lakers Celtics
89-90 Bad Boy Pistons
91-93 3 Peat Jordan Bulls

94-95 Houston Rockets
96-98 2nd 3 Peat Jordan Bulls
2000-2002 Shaq Kobe Lakers

“So you don’t have numbers and just speaking on personal preference?”

Yeah I’m good. You can make the thread if it makes you happy. Those rings still shine just like other teams rings.

Thanks for playing.

Back