Welcome To aBlackWeb

East Pittsburgh cop shoots & kills unarmed Blk 17yo.Update:Cop charged w/ criminal homicide…

The gun shit is invalid but unfortunate, it will be used to clear the police. These bitches also have a history of planting shit. Sad..

The dude had his back turned and was running away, at that point he was running for HIS life, and he was shot and killed. There was not a threat at that point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...olice-killing-of-teen/?utm_term=.cd21db2696ca

Pittsburgh protesters keep marching, three days after police killed a black teen as he ran away

Protesters took to the streets for the third straight day in Pittsburgh as anger mounted after a 17-year-old was fatally shot by police while running away from an officer.

Allegheny County officials told The Washington Post that protests were expected in locations around the city. Early in the evening, a large crowd marched across the Roberto Clemente Bridge, which spans the Allegheny River from Pittsburgh’s downtown toward its baseball stadium to protest Antwon Rose Jr.’s killing. Afterward, the crowd circled back toward downtown, stopping in a square where they conducted a moment of silence and listened to speakers.

“We do this for Antwon!” they shouted.

Later, they linked arms as they planned to march on to a highway. The night before, another group of protesters shut down an interstate for hours before riot police dispersed the crowd in the early morning. Other protests and vigils were expected around the country over the weekend.

Rose was killed Tuesday night after being shot by a police officer who was investigating a shooting in which a 22-year-old man was injured when someone fired nine .40-caliber rounds at him from a car. The vehicle that Rose was traveling in matched a witness description of the drive-by car, police said, and it was pulled over about 15 minutes later.

Graphic video shows two men fleeing the car after it was stopped, with one of them falling to the ground after shots ring out. Police said Rose was struck by all three bullets fired by the officer, whom officials identified as Michael Rosfeld, but have declined to say whether Rose was shot in the back.

The Allegheny County Police Department is investigating the two incidents for a potential homicide referral to the county district attorney.

Rose did not have a weapon on him when he was shot, officials have said. On Friday, Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala told reporters at his office that Rose was found with an empty 9-millimeter clip in his pocket.

Officials said they found two guns in the car, which they said they were confident was the same vehicle that had been involved in the drive-by shooting. Amie Downs, a spokeswoman for the county police, said she did not know whether the weapons found in the car were the same caliber used in that shooting.

Zappala said the 20-year-old driver of the car, whom police had interviewed but later released, may be charged with a crime later.

“I’m not sure that it was appropriate to release him,” Zappala said.

He said there was compelling evidence from the crime scene of the drive-by shooting in North Braddock that preceded the officer’s shooting.

“There’s video; in fact, there’s video from a bus. There’s video from a stationary camera,” he said. “It’s good evidence, and then it explains exactly what happened in North Braddock.”

Rosfeld did not initially cooperate with police, Zappala said, but he was hopeful the interview would happen by the end of the day on Friday. It was not immediately clear whether it had.

Pat Thomassey, who is Rosfeld’s lawyer, according to Zappala’s office, did not respond to a request for comment from The Post.

The East Pittsburgh Police Department declined on Thursday to provide details about the officer.

The shooting has prompted calls by some activists for the state’s attorney general to take over the case from Zappala, whose office’s work overlaps with that of the East Pittsburgh Police Department as well as many other departments in the county.

“Our local district attorney has an inherent conflict of interest” because he must depend on testimony, cooperation and support from police officers for other prosecutions, said Tim Stevens, chairman and CEO of the Black Political Empowerment Project in Pittsburgh. “When they have to intentionally prosecute one of the people in blue, it could produce negative reactions from other officers.”

Zappala acknowledged the potential for the appearance “of some kind of conflict” because of that but said it was up to the state legislature to change the procedure for police shootings.

Officers have fatally shot at least 495 people in 2018, according to The Post’s database, but Rose appears to be the first person killed by the small police force in East Pittsburgh since 2015, when the data collection began. Even as outrage and attention generated by police shootings and other uses of fatal force has become a near-constant part of the news cycle in recent years, it is rare for officers to be charged and rarer still for them to be convicted.

Zappala estimated that he had charged more than 150 police officers for various offenses during his tenure as district attorney and cleared seven of the nine police officers his office has reviewed over the use of deadly force.

“The police community, as any other aspect of our community, they have problems,” he said. “I’m not looking for a particular conclusion; I’m not looking to protect anybody to the extent that people would suggest that. There’s some people in this community that just if a police officer uses deadly force, then he’s committed a criminal act. That’s not the way the law is written.”

The Allegheny County police also denounced some local media accounts citing anonymous “police sources” about a video that purportedly shows Antwon Rose firing a gun during the drive-by incident and that gunshot residue was found on his hands.

“While ACPD does have a video showing the North Braddock incident, that video does NOT show Antwon Rose firing a gun,” it said in a statement Friday night. “The information about gunshot residue is also false. Crime Lab reports are still pending and have not yet been issued.”

People who knew Rose have stepped forward with kind words in recent days.

Family attorney Fred Rabner said the discovery of the ammunition clip after the shooting should not be conflated with a reason to use deadly force. Civil rights attorney S. Lee Merritt, who also is representing the family, has said he’s struggled to find any justification for the shooting.

“These facts, without more, simply leave very little room to justify the use of deadly force by this officer.”

On Friday, he shared a poem written by the teenager.

“I am confused and afraid / I wonder what path I will take,” it read. “I hear that there’s only two ways out / I see mothers bury their sons / I want my mom to never feel that pain.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...1dd6a09b549_story.html?utm_term=.c374b276382d

Why were they shooting?
by Editorial Board

“WHY ARE they shooting? All they did was run and they’re shooting at them!” That was the horrified reaction of the woman who recorded a video that captured the fatal police shooting of an unarmed black teenager in a borough outside Pittsburgh. Watch the video and you will share her horror. Antwon Rose Jr., 17, was running away from police when he was shot and killed. Why, then, were they shooting? Was it because he was black? Automatically seen as a threat? Less valued?

The answers are depressingly clear and familiar. Which raises — once again — the larger question of what it will take for America to finally insist that police put an end to these heartless and needless shootings of African Americans.

Antwon was a passenger Tuesday night in a car that had been pulled over in East Pittsburgh because it matched the description of a car that had been involved in a drive-by shooting. While the driver was being taken into custody (but not charged; he was later released), Antwon and another person got out of the vehicle and fled. Video taken from a neighbor’s window and posted on Facebook shows a person running away from police before gunshots ring out and he drops to the ground. The boy was shot three times. Police found two guns in the car, but he was not armed when he was shot. The officer who shot him, Michael Rosfeld, was placed on administrative leave. The other passenger hasn’t been found.

Friends describe Antwon as a lively and funny high school student with excellent grades who volunteered at local charities. His killing prompted widespread protests. Allegheny County Police Superintendent Coleman McDonough asked for calm as his department investigates. “I understand in today’s atmosphere anytime a young man is killed there’s cause for outrage in some areas.” Some areas? Antwon’s death — and before his, those of 12-year-old Tamir Rice, 32-year-old Philando Castile, 50-year-old Walter Scott and countless other African American boys and men killed by police — outrages Americans in every “area.”

A Post database of police shootings begun in January 2015 shows that black people have been the victims in 23 percent of fatal police shootings and account for 36 percent of the unarmed people who have been shot and killed during that time. Those numbers recall a poem Antwon himself wrote for a 10th-grade honors class. “I see mothers bury their sons / I want my mom to never feel that pain . . . I understand people believe I’m just a statistic / I say to them I’m different.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...evidence-sworn-statement/stories/201806220185

Officer who shot Antwon Rose left Pitt job after his report and evidence didn't line up

The East Pittsburgh police officer who fatally shot 17-year-old Antwon Rose II on Tuesday left his last job at the University of Pittsburgh police after authorities discovered discrepancies between the officer’s sworn statement and evidence in an arrest.

Officer Michael H. Rosfeld, 30, of Penn Hills, was then hired by East Pittsburgh police in mid-May and shot Antwon as the unarmed teenager ran away from a traffic stop, prompting local and national outrage. Investigators later found two guns in the car, which was stopped because Officer Rosfeld suspected it had just been involved in a shooting.

Officer Rosfeld gave a statement to Allegheny County police Friday. He is represented by attorney Patrick Thomassey, who declined to comment on this story.

Officer Rosfeld left the university police department on Jan. 18, about a month after the Allegheny County District Attorney’s office withdrew all charges he’d pressed against three men accused of fighting in a bar.

“We didn’t think we could sustain our burden of proof based on the evidence available,” district attorney spokesman Mike Manko said.

The case began on Dec. 9, when Officer Rosfeld responded to the Garage Door Saloon on Atwood Street in Oakland at about 10:30 p.m. after another officer called for assistance, according to a criminal complaint written by Officer Rosfeld.

When Officer Rosfeld arrived, he wrote, the other officer had three males, Timothy Riley, 24, Jacob Schilling, 24, and Daniel Humphrey, 26, up against a wall.

The complaint said the men smelled of alcohol and were "extremely belligerent yelling" at the officer, business owner and employee.

The owner, Mark Welshonse, told Officer Rosfeld that the three men and another man, later identified as 24-year-old Steven Andrew Hunt, had been thrown out of the bar for trying to fight other customers in the back room. Mr. Hunt allegedly kicked a glass side door of the bar, causing it to crack. He ran from the scene and was not immediately arrested.

The other three men were charged with simple assault, defiant trespass, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness. But all of those charges were withdrawn on Dec. 21.

Two sources with knowledge of the situation said the charges were dropped because Officer Rosfeld’s affidavit did not match collected evidence.

Reached Friday Mr. Riley would not discuss the December incident. But he said he was upset to see that Officer Rosfeld was involved in this week’s shooting. “It makes me sick that he was able to still be a cop after how they treated us, and that poor kid had to lose his life because of their negligence.”

Mr. Hunt declined to comment. Mr. Schilling, Mr. Humphrey, Mr. Welshonse and university police Chief James Loftus did not return requests for comment. Mr. Humphrey’s mother, Kathy Humphrey, who is the university’s senior vice chancellor for engagement and serves as the secretary of the board of trustees, also did not return a request for comment.

“We have turned over all records regarding the officer to the investigating agency, the Allegheny County Police Department,” university spokesman Joe Miksch said, referring to the investigation into Antwon’s death. “And being that this is an ongoing investigation, we cannot comment further on this matter.”

He would not say whether Officer Rosfeld was fired or resigned.

Elizabeth Pittinger, executive director of the Citizen Police Review Board, said it’s not uncommon for officers who get into trouble at one department to leave and be re-hired at another department.

“That’s an age-old problem,” she said. “If they’re allowed to leave, there is no central repository [listing the reason] why an officer left, so unless the former employer or the officer is honest, there is no way for new agencies to know the details of why the separation occurred.”

East Pittsburgh police Chief Lori Fruncek did not return a request for comment.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/witness-recorded-teenager-shot-pittsburgh-cop-run/story?id=56111765

Witness who recorded teenager shot by East Pittsburgh cop: ‘All they did was run’

The woman who filmed an East Pittsburgh police officer shoot an unarmed African-American teen said the officer had been "very harsh" and "very aggressive" in the moments leading up to the shooting.

The witness was standing on a nearby balcony and started recording with her cell phone what would be Antwon Rose's last moments.

In the short clip, Rose, 17, is running from the car during a traffic stop before three shots appear to come from a police officer's firearm.

In an exclusive interview with ABC News, Shauny Mary, 23, wearing a blouse with rose print in honor of the late teen, said the officer fired without provocation.

"The way he had his gun pointed towards him, he was ready to do something," she said. "He was taking target practice on this young man's back."

Rose was in a car that was pulled over on Tuesday by 30-year-old officer Michael Rosfeld, who had only been on the East Pittsburgh police force for three weeks. Police said they stopped the car after receiving 911 calls of a drive-by shooting in the area.

Mary said that she knew something was awry from the officer's tone.

"He was very harsh," she said. "He was screaming and he was very aggressive. I didn't understand why."

The alleged bombast was followed up with the police officer allegedly drawing his gun.

"As the police officer's screaming his gun is out and already pointed toward the vehicle," Mary added. "I captured the exact moment of him shooting."

Mary said the car Rose was seated in had its driver's side car door already opened and then a passenger door "open up" and the occupants attempt to run away.

"The [officer's] gun is pointed toward the vehicle and you see two kids flee from the car," Mary said. "Then three shots."

The moment the shots were fired Mary's "heart stopped."

"My heart fell out of my chest," she continued. "What was that for? Why was that needed?"

The moments after the shooting also were almost as startling for Mary.

"He had his hands over his head," Mary said of the police officer in the seconds that followed the fatal encounter. "He looked like he knew he messed up... he looked frantic."

She said that other officers arrived and attempted to console the cop.

"I saw the other officers surrounding him and they all had their arms over him and they got him out of the area," she said.

As for Rose, she said that medics attempted to resuscitate him without success.

"It didn't look like he was breathing," she said through tears.

Mary is convinced that Rosfeld could have de-escalated the situation and didn't have to shoot Rose.

"Why were they shooting at them?" she said. "All they did was run.

"They didn't have nothing in their hands and they didn't say anything to the cop to make him feel scared."

In statement on Thursday, officials from the borough of East Pittsburgh said they were “profoundly saddened by the death of Antwon Rose” and offered sympathy and condolences to his family.

“We have confidence in the Allegheny County Police and District Attorney’s Office and we will be transparent with any and all information that they need during the investigation,” the statement said.

Rosfeld was placed on leave pending the completion of an investigation into the shooting. A call placed Saturday to Rosfeld's attorney was not immediately returned.

A funeral for Rose is scheduled to take place on Monday.

For Mary, she simply "wants justice for Antwon."

"I think about Antwon every day," she said.

In her mind, the video she shot, which has become evidence in the investigation, makes her feel she can fight for him posthumously.

"I'm going to make sure you get justice," she said, speaking to Antwon directly. "You didn't deserve this. I promise I'm going to do whatever I can."

http://triblive.com/local/westmorel...s-heat-over-online-comments-about-antwon-rose

Mt. Pleasant Borough fireman catches heat over online comments about Antwon Rose protesters

The Mt. Pleasant Borough Volunteer Fire Department will vote next month on whether to suspend one of its members over his social media comments threatening to harm those blocking the Homestead Grays Bridge on Friday night in protest of an East Pittsburgh police officer fatally shooting an unarmed teenager June 19.

Chief Jerry Lucia said Saturday the department will consider suspending Brian Vought of Mt. Pleasant over his social media comments when the membership meets July 19.

“The comments made were unacceptable, and we do not tolerate them being made,” the fire department posted on its Facebook page Saturday. “That member's comments do not reflect the thoughts of our department. The member HAS been removed from the organization following these comments.”

“We go out to save lives, not to create problems,” Lucia said of the fire department.

Lucia said he considers Vought, a firefighter for two years, as being “removed” from the department because he has been inactive for about two months as a result of injuries sustained in an accident.

“Our sympathies are with the family” of the slain boy, Antwon Rose, 17, Lucia said.

Vought could not be reached for comment.

People have used social media to unfairly target volunteer fire departments in Mt. Pleasant Township in Westmoreland County, as well as the Mt. Pleasant Township department in Washington County.

The Calumet Volunteer Fire Department in Mt. Pleasant Township asked on its Facebook page “to please stop sending us hate mail regarding the actions of firefighter Brian Vought. He is not a member of our fire department, or a member of the five fire departments in our township.”

The Calumet fire department stated that “his actions do not reflect those of any member in our department.”

The volunteer fire department in Mt. Pleasant Township, Washington County, acknowledged that there are multiple towns named Mt. Pleasant and more than one fire department.

“Please confirm you are contacting the correct Mt. Pleasant fire chief when reporting any issue,” the Washington County department wrote.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/s...rgh-bias-Stephen-Zappala/stories/201806240134

Attorney: Antwon Rose's family will press for criminal charges, but worries about 'bias'

An attorney representing the family of Antwon Rose II said the family will contact county, state and federal officials and press for criminal charges against East Pittsburgh police Officer Michael Rosfeld, who authorities say shot three times at the 17-year-old on Tuesday as he fled from a car during a traffic stop.

Lee Merritt, an attorney for the family, said Sunday that the family will also be discussing civil litigation as well as civil rights violations in the aftermath of Antwon's death.

Mr. Merritt made his remarks while leaving the visitation for Antwon at Tunie Funeral Home in Homestead.

Antwon, a student at Woodland Hills High School, was fatally shot after he ran from a vehicle that officials say matched the description of a vehicle involved minutes earlier in a shooting in North Braddock.

Mr. Merritt said the family will pressure law enforcement to file criminal charges against the officer. "The family hopes (Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala) will conduct a fair and thorough investigation leading to criminal charges, but they feel there will be a bias with the DA’s office, and the investigation will be better handled by state or federal law officials."

No criminal charges have been filed against Officer Rosfeld, 30, who was hired by East Pittsburgh in mid-May but sworn in just hours before the shooting. He previously worked as a police officer at the University of Pittsburgh, but left after authorities discovered discrepancies between the officer’s sworn statement and evidence in an arrest.

Antwon’s funeral will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Woodland Hills Intermediate School on Evans Street in Swissvale.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/murdered-son-cold-blood-mother-teenager-fatally-shot/story?id=56120008

'He murdered my son in cold blood': Mother of teenager fatally shot by Pennsylvania police officer

Michelle Kenney and Antwon Rose Sr. did something Sunday they never thought they would ever have to do: Go to a funeral home for the wake of her 17-year-old son, Antwon Rose II.

But before getting in a car and driving to the Tunie Funeral Home in Homestead, Pennsylvania, the grieving mother and father had much to say about their child and the police officer who shot him dead on a street near their small town, a suburb of Pittsburgh.

"He murdered my son in cold blood," Kenney told ABC News of the shooting Tuesday night when police said her unarmed son ran from an officer who opened fire after the teenager made only a few strides to get away.

"If he has a son, I pray his heart never has to hurt the way mine does," Kenney said of the police officer. "But I think he should pay for taking my son's life. I really do."

As she spoke through jags of tears, Kenney clutched a Bible in her lap with the words "My son" written on a piece of paper and taped to the cover. On the front of her striped dress, she wore a purple ribbon, which she says was her son's favorite color.

She spoke of how her son -- whom she nicknamed "My Baby" -- had traveled around the world, taught himself to ski and play hockey. He had dreams, she said, of going to college and becoming a chemical engineer or a lawyer.

"I knew Antwon was destined for greatness. I told him that all the time," she said. "I figured he either was going to be an engineer who designed something that changed the world, or he was going to have a case that changed the world. I never knew that he would be the victim of a homicide and change the world. It's just unimaginable."

The teenager was riding in a silver Chevrolet that officials said was suspected of being involved in a drive-by shooting in North Braddock that left a 22-year-old man wounded. East Pittsburgh Police Officer Michael Rosfeld pulled the vehicle over around 8:40 p.m. on Grandview and Howard streets in East Pittsburgh, about 10 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

Allegheny County Police Department, which is investigating Antwon's death, said in a statement that Rosfeld pulled the car over because it matched the description of the vehicle involved in the drive-by shooting and that he noticed a bullet hole in the rear window.

While Rosfeld was putting the driver into handcuffs, Antwon and another passenger in the car bolted, according to the police statement. Rosfeld fired his weapon at Antwon, hitting him three times in the upper body, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner, who did not specify where on his upper body Antwon was shot.

Antwon was taken to nearby University of Pittsburgh Medical Center McKeesport, where he died.

Police said two guns were found inside the car, but Antwon was unarmed when he was shot. Police found a 9mm ammunition clip in his pocket, officials said.

Had it not been for a cell-phone video Shauny Mary, 23, took of the shooting, the story might have ended there. Mary posted her video on social media, sparking angry protests in the streets of East Pittsburgh and elsewhere.

The video shows Antwon and another man running from the car. Antwon, dressed in a white T-shirt, got about 10 feet before three gunshots sounded and he fell to the ground.

"It was like he was taking target practice out on this young man's back," Mary told ABC News. "He didn't flinch, he didn't say stop running, he didn't say anything."

Antwon Rose Sr. said he saw Mary's video before it went viral. He said he initially didn't realize it was his son because people were saying the boy who was shot was 13 years old.

"I never thought that was my son," he said.

Michelle Kenney said she can't bring herself to watch the video.

"If there wasn't [a video], we wouldn't be having this conversation because a thousand people could have stood up and the world wouldn't have believed them because he was murdered by a cop and people don't seem to think that they tell a lie," Kenney said. "So by the grace of God, there is a video."

She said she doesn't understand why Rosfeld is still on the police force.

"If I shot somebody in cold blood, I would have been arrested on the scene. They wouldn't have waited. There would be no investigation. There would be no questions as to why I did it, or what happened. I would be in jail," Kenney said. "He should have been in jail the day after it happened. He should have been fired five minutes after it happened. As a matter of fact, maybe they should have never hired him."

ABC News has reached out to Rosfeld's attorney several times for comment but have not heard back. The district attorney said Rosfeld is cooperating with the investigation.

Rosfeld, 30, broke his silence Thursday when he told ABC station WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh that the shooting occurred just three weeks after he joined the East Pittsburg Police Department and just hours after he was officially sworn in as an officer on the force.

Rosfeld, who is on administrative leave while the shooting is under investigation, said he has been staying away from the news coverage of the shooting and would not discuss details of what prompted him to use deadly force. He said he was unaware that there is a video of the shooting.

He said he began his career in law enforcement in 2011 and that prior to joining the East Pittsburg Police Department he worked as an officer for the University of Pittsburgh and at two other police departments in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.

Kenney told ABC News that she had drilled it in her son to always respect the police.

"My son is dead and I keep saying that, but he didn't die by accident," she said. "He didn't fall off a cliff. He didn't trip and bump his head. A cop killed him. The same person that should have protected him, the same person who I taught my son to respect and always have the most respect for, never be disrespectful, murdered my son."

Asked what she would say to people questioning why Antwon was in a car that was involved in a drive-by shooting, and why he allegedly had an ammunition clip in his pocket, she replied: "My son is dead. My son is dead. My son is dead. For all those people who say that their son must be at home.

"To see how handsome my son was; he didn't deserve that. No one deserves that. And no one deserves to have to bury their baby at 17 years old for trying to make it home, while his momma's waiting on the porch for him to get back. I wouldn't wish this on anybody. I mean, I can't begin to explain the sadness and sorrow."

She said she is amazed at the thousands of people who have taken to the streets to demand justice for her son, including the many friends, teachers, and neighbors who knew Antwon's character.

"I look at it this way: If it wasn't Antwon and it was another child, I don't know how many people would have stood up. But because my son was truly a beautiful soul, everyone stood up and I'm hoping that it changes the world," Kenney said.

In a poem her son composed on May 16, 2016, for an English literature class, he wrote, "I am confused and afraid. I wonder what path I'll take. I hear that there's only two ways out. I see mothers bury their sons. I want my mom to never feel that pain."

Listening to those words, she said, they were all too familiar.

"They're actually words from his mother," Kenney said. "That's how I know that my son heard me. And that right there makes me smile because we were so close and I was so involved with what was going on with him and those words he interpreted from me.

"So when you read them and you tell me that my son wrote them, we lived them," she said. "That's not just a piece of paper, that's not just a poem, that is the life of many, many African-American males. It was just that my son wrote it down and he lost his life in order for you guys to read it."

A funeral will be held for Antwon at 11 a.m. Monday at the Woodland Hills Intermediate School in Homestead, Pennsylvania, where he was a former student. Many mourners plan to wear purple in Antwon's honor.

Kenney and the senior Antwon Rose said they hope their son is not forgotten after he is buried.

"I am in amazement that this all has something to do with my son. But I'm destroyed at the reason why," Kenney said. "I appreciate all the protesters. I just want them to protest peacefully because I don't want to see anybody else go through this. So I don't want them to get arrested, I don't want them to act out. If they're protesting in the name of Antwon, then we can't use the same hate that took my son's life. We have to protest in the name of love."

antwon-rose-kid-ht-3-thg180624_hpEmbed_1x1_992.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...hua-shapiro-pennsylvania/stories/201806260088

Pittsburgh activist group demands criminal charges in Antwon Rose death, calls on DA to step aside

A leader in Pittsburgh's African-American community Tuesday called for criminal charges against a suburban police officer who fatally shot an unarmed, fleeing teenager last week in East Pittsburgh and asked the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office to relinquish oversight of the case.

Tim Stevens, chairman and CEO of the Black Political Empowerment Project, authored a letter dated Monday to District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. asking him to "...relinquish your authority in this case and allow the Attorney General's Office of Pennsylvania to take it on."

That letter did not demand criminal charges, but Mr. Stevens issued an updated letter Tuesday morning that added, “...it is the position of the Black Political Empowerment Project that officer Michael H. Rosfeld must be charged in the death of Antwon Michael Rose II by whoever, in the end, is in charge."

Antwon, 17, was shot to death June 19 after an East Pittsburgh police officer stopped a vehicle in which the teenager was riding following a drive-by shooting minutes earlier in North Braddock.

The car in which Antwon was riding matched the vehicle involved in the drive-by and had ballistics damage to it. As the police officer was handcuffing the driver, Antwon and another person fled. The police officer fired, striking Antwon three times.

Allegheny County Police are investigating and will present findings to Mr. Zappala, who will decide whether to file charges against Officer Rosfeld. The officer is on leave from the East Pittsburgh Police Department.

Mike Manko, the DA’s spokesman, provided a written statement Tuesday — the same statement that has been issued four times in the past week — essentially indicating an unwillingness to turn over the investigation.

"(T)he major crimes investigative resources in Allegheny County are more than capable of handling any homicide case," the statement said.

The statement notes that no state legislation has been enacted that would automatically transfer investigations involving deadly police force to the state attorney general’s office, though Mr. Stevens and his organization support such legislation.

Mr. Manko’s statement concludes: "Absent such legislation which would assign jurisdiction to the AG, our office sees no reason to relinquish jurisdiction of this investigation."

Mr. Stevens' letter references Jan. 3, 2017, correspondence from the DA that appears to indicate a willingness on the part of the Mr. Zappala’s office to support what the Black Empowerment Project refers to as "Due Process Act" legislation.

Mr. Zappala wrote: "If the legislature wants the Attorney Generals Office to investigate and if appropriate, prosecute police involved use of force, I would proceed as the legislature directs."

Mr. Manko’s statement summarizes the DA's position in his Jan. 3, 2017, letter as "expressing his support for such legislation."

In his letter Monday, Mr. Stevens wrote that state Attorney General Josh Shapiro "indicated a serious concern about the situation involving the death of Antwon Michael Rose II and his commitment to closely monitor this situation." He said the attorney general indicated a "willingness to either assist in the investigation or to take on the case if allowed to do so."

On June 21, Mr. Shapiro issued a statement calling Antwon’s death a "tragedy" but noted that he has no jurisdiction to investigate without a request from Mr. Zappala.

An attorney representing Antwon’s family said Sunday he will be pressing officials at all levels for a criminal prosecution of the police officer and questioned whether there is bias in the DA's office.

Back