Welcome To aBlackWeb

East Pittsburgh cop shoots & kills unarmed Blk 17yo.Update:Cop charged w/ criminal homicide…

Apparently 3 guns were in the car...

Making the felon law in the officers favor.

Car had bullet holes and 3 guns.

So far this is looking to be.... "Fair"

I aint saying it makes sense, Im saying the cards have already been stacked against them. Especially if they were the one that commited the drive by.
Why did they let the driver go?

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/Blogh/...-rose-begs-people-to-get-politically-involved

Pittsburgh rally for police-shooting victim Antwon Rose begs people to get politically involved

Leon Ford was shot in the back during a routine traffic stop six years ago, leaving him paralyzed. After years spent speaking out against police brutality, he recently settled a lawsuit with the city of Pittsburgh. He has since become an integral part of the city’s and the country’s police-reform movement.

On Thursday afternoon, Ford sat in his wheelchair at the Allegheny County Courthouse amid thousands protesting the shooting death of Antwon Rose.

“This is painful for me,” Ford said. “I fought for six years and I didn’t think this would be happening.”

fleeing a traffic stop Tuesday. Allegheny County officials say the car in which he was a passenger was pulled over because it matched the description of a vehicle fleeing the scene of an earlier reported shooting in North Braddock; there were guns on the floor of the car, but Rose was unarmed as he fled.

This rally Thursday appeared to draw thousands. Following chants of “Justice for Antwon,” people spoke passionately about Rose — including Ford, who was lifted up the courthouse steps by friends.
“I ain't never cried in public before,” he said, breaking down during his speech. “Antwon didn't die in vain. It is going to be Antwon who is going to help change things.”

Ford implored attendees to get registered and vote. He also bluntly addressed money generated by his speaking engagements.

“In my path, it ain’t changed nothing,” he said.

Ford touted political action, specifically support of candidates and elected officials who favor reform of local police departments, as a method to prevent future incidents such as the ones that harmed him and killed Rose.

“We can’t afford to sit by and do nothing,” said Ford. “You can take to the streets, but you can also vote.”

Brandi Fisher of the Alliance for Police Accountability called for the removal of Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala. She promised future protests to pressure Zappala. In his capacity, Zappala typically would adjudge potential prosecution of the East Pittsburgh police officer who shot Rose. (Allegheny County police officials have not yet released the shooter’s identity.)
“You will have no life, until we have justice,” Fisher said of Zappala.

Local musician and activist Jasiri X agreed with Fisher. He implored the crowd to pressure Zappala in favor of prosecution. He also called for creation of an Allegheny County civilian police-review board. Pittsburgh has a civilian-run board that acts as a watchdog on city police, but there is currently no county-wide group.

A voting message appeared to be already effective. City Paper witnessed several people filling out voting-registration forms at the rally. Fisher reminded rally goers that Zappala is up for re-election in 2019.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...shooting-michael-rosfeld/stories/201806210148

Officer identified in East Pittsburgh shooting of unarmed teen

Antwon Rose Jr. had empty handgun clip in pants pocket, DA said

The East Pittsburgh police officer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager on Tuesday evening is Michael H. Rosfeld, Allegheny County officials confirmed Thursday.

As of Thursday morning, Officer Rosfeld, 30, had still not been interviewed by Allegheny County police, which is leading the investigation.

A man who answered the phone at a number listed for Michael Rosfeld said, "Do not call here again" when reached by a reporter Thursday and then hung up. No one answered the door at a home in Penn Hills owned by Officer Rosfeld.

Antwon Rose Jr., 17, was shot three times as he ran away from Officer Rosfeld following a traffic stop at Grandview Avenue and Howard Street about 8:40 p.m. Tuesday in East Pittsburgh.

Antwon was a passenger in the car that was stopped following a shooting about 13 minutes earlier in North Braddock in the 800 block of Kirkpatrick Avenue.

In that shooting, a 22-year-old man was shot and wounded.

The car fled. A car police said was similar — and showed gunshot damage — was later stopped by Officer Rosfeld.

Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. said he is allowing the county police to conduct their investigation before reaching any conclusions.

"I've always addressed these matters publicly, and I've gone into great detail to release the facts," Mr. Zappala said.

He was briefed by county police on the investigation Thursday morning, after having spent the day Wednesday in Harrisburg.

Mr. Zappala confirmed that Antwon was not armed at the time he was shot. He did say, however, that Antwon had the empty clip of a handgun in his pants pocket.

Following a protest outside the courthouse on Thursday, Mr. Zappala said he shares the feelings of the community about a young, unarmed man being killed.

"That's what we're all concerned about," he said.

In addition to the investigation into the shooting, Mr. Zappala said the county police are also checking Officer Rosfeld's work history and background.

Mr. Zappala also expressed concern that some of the civilian witnesses to the shooting in East Pittsburgh on Tuesday are not cooperating with police, which, he said, is essential to the investigation.

Shortly after the shooting Tuesday evening, the insurance carrier for East Pittsburgh borough contacted the law firm of Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin to obtain an attorney to represent Officer Rosfeld, said borough solicitor Nick Evashavik.

That attorney was later at the scene.

Officer Rosfeld was hired by East Pittsburgh police in mid-May and had been patrolling the borough since then, Mayor Louis Payne said. The officer was formally sworn in at a council meeting on Tuesday, just hours before the fatal shooting.

Officer Rosfeld previously worked for the University of Pittsburgh’s police department as well as the borough of Oakmont.

The Oakmont borough manager confirmed that Mr. Rosfeld was a part-time officer in the department there from April 2011 to 2013. She could not give an ending date for his employment but said he left to take a full-time position elsewhere.

University of Pittsburgh spokesman Joseph Miksch said Officer Rosfeld worked for the school as between October 2012 and Jan. 18.

He declined to give more detail, saying personnel records are confidential.

Attorney Fred Rabner, who is representing Antwon's family, said the teen's death is a tragedy "whose narrative has sickeningly become all too familiar — a young black man shot by an over-zealous, poorly trained, police officer.

"The facts, while limited, have already revealed that this is yet another senseless act of violence where a police officer sworn to uphold the law and protect its citizens, shoots a child indiscriminately and cowardly in the back."

Antwon had no previous involvement with the police.

"We shouldn’t have to add that he had no past criminal involvement, but in this climate we have to stress the same to all the police brutality apologists," Mr. Rabner said. "We owe it to him to ensure his death was not in vain and that he and his family receive the justice they rightfully deserve."

Mr. Rabner, who represented Leon Ford, who was shot and paralyzed by Pittsburgh police officers in 2012, said that Antwon having an empty clip in his pocket, or the fact that there were two guns found inside the car he was in, don't matter.

"None of [that] would play into the evaluation as to whether this was a reasonable action by the police officer, or a good shoot," he said. "He is running away, empty-handed, and he is shot in the back. Period."

Under the law, said Mr. Rabner, "It's what the officer knew at the time, first of all. Second of all, whether the action was taken to protect his safety and interest or others' safety or interest. There was no risk at all to the officer."

Mr. Rabner did not object to the district attorney's announcement that he would have no further comment until next week.

"I'm very hopeful from looking at that video that Mr. Zappala would be as incensed as every other person in the community."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/21/us/antwon-rose-police-killing-protests.html

Police Killing of Antwon Rose, 17, in East Pittsburgh Prompts Protests

The fatal shooting this week by an East Pittsburgh, Pa., police officer of an unarmed teenager who was attempting to flee prompted more protests on Thursday and calls for answers from law enforcement officials.

The teenager, Antwon Rose II, 17, was a passenger in a car that had been pulled over because it matched the description of a vehicle that had fled an earlier shooting in which a 22-year-old man was wounded, the Allegheny County Police Department said in a statement.

A video that recorded the fatal shooting on Tuesday night and was posted on Facebook shows two people running from police vehicles as three shots are fired. One of the people, later identified as Antwon, appears to fall to the ground.

The authorities confirmed on Thursday that Antwon was struck three times but did not specify where.

“Why are they shooting?” the woman recording the video says. “All they did was run and they’re shooting at them!”

The Allegheny County Police Department, which is investigating the encounter, said that two firearms were found on the floor of the car. When asked if the 17-year-old was found with a weapon on him, Coleman McDonough, the department’s superintendent, said he was not.

On Thursday, Mike Manko, a spokesman for the Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office, confirmed reports that Antwon, while unarmed, had an empty clip of a handgun in his pants pocket at the time he was shot.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Wednesday quoted Mayor Louis Payne of East Pittsburgh — a borough in Allegheny County — as saying that the officer who shot Antwon was hired in mid-May and had been formally sworn in hours before the shooting. Mr. Payne told Action News 4 on Thursday that he believed the shooting was the first time in at least 20 years that an East Pittsburgh officer had opened fire.

In a statements on Thursday, the authorities identified the East Pittsburgh officer who fired as Michael H. Rosfeld.

Attempts to reach Officer Rosfeld, 30, by phone were unsuccessful. The law firm of Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin confirmed that it was representing the officer, but a lawyer for the firm did not immediately return requests for comment Thursday night.

Officials said Officer Rosfeld had worked for the Oakmont Borough Police Department, which is about 15 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, as a part-time patrol officer from 2011 to 2013. Jason Domaratz, the police chief in Harmar Township, said Officer Rosfeld joined the Harmar Township Police Department, just across the Allegheny River, in February 2012 as a part-time patrol officer. Officer Rosfeld stayed there for less than a year before he accepted a full-time position with the University of Pittsburgh’s Police Department, Chief Domaratz said.

Chief Domaratz said it was common for officers to apply to both the Harmar Township and Oakmont Borough departments because of their proximity to each another and to change jobs frequently while they try to secure a full-time position with benefits.

“I don’t remember anything out of the ordinary,” Chief Domaratz said on Thursday, adding that the officer did not get in trouble while he was part of his department and never fired his weapon.

Joseph Miksch, a University of Pittsburgh spokesman, said Officer Rosfeld was employed as a full-time police officer at the university from October 2012 to Jan. 18 of this year. Citing confidential personnel records, he said he could not comment on the officer’s performance or say why he left the department.

In a statement on Wednesday night, S. Lee Merritt, a lawyer representing Antwon’s family, said: “We know very little about the circumstances surrounding his death at this early stage. We must emphasize that rumors of him being involved in a separate shooting are unsubstantiated. We know that he was not armed at the time he was shot down, that he posed no immediate threat to anyone, and that, significantly, the driver of the vehicle he occupied was released from police custody.”

On Wednesday evening, dozens of people gathered outside the East Pittsburgh Police Department to protest the black teenager’s death. “No justice, no peace!” they chanted. Some carried signs that said, “Justice4Antwon” and “#BlackLivesMatter.” Then on Thursday, hundreds of people rallied outside of the Allegheny County Courthouse; later Thursday evening, protesters poured onto Interstate 376, blocking it.

Those who knew Antwon described him as bright, lively and funny. He was a senior at Woodland Hills High School who was expected to graduate at the end of the year, the superintendent, Al Johnson, said in an interview on Wednesday.

“He was an excellent student,” Mr. Johnson said, adding that Antwon was taking Advanced Placement classes.

Kim Ransom, the owner of the Pittsburgh Gymnastics Club, where Antwon worked for about a year, recalled the sweltering day in 2015 that he interviewed to work at the club as an instructor.

“He brought his typed-up résumé and he was wearing a full three-piece suit with his shiny shoes and he was sweating profusely,” she said.

“I just thought it was very cute. I think he was 14 at the time,” she continued. “Someone in his life must have been guiding him in the right direction.”

He got the job and began coaching children in an after-school program and other classes.

“Everybody loved him here,” she said. “He was very mature.”

The traffic stop on Tuesday that led to the deadly shooting occurred after multiple 911 calls earlier in the night reported a shooting in North Braddock, Pa., that had wounded a 22-year-old man in the abdomen, the police said. He was treated at a trauma center and later released.

Investigators said a gunman in a passing vehicle had fired nine .40-caliber rounds at the 22-year-old, who returned fire.

The 911 callers described a vehicle they saw fleeing the scene, the police said, and Officer Rosfeld saw a similar vehicle — a silver Chevrolet Cruze that appeared to have ballistics damage to its rear window.

“I’m very confident that that was the vehicle involved in the shooting,” Superintendent McDonough said.

Officer Rosfeld stopped the car at 8:40 p.m. and took the driver into custody, the authorities said.

“While he was putting the driver into handcuffs, two other occupants ran from the car,” the Allegheny County police said. Officer Rosfeld started shooting, striking the 17-year-old, department officials said.

The 17-year-old was taken to U.P.M.C. McKeesport hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:19 p.m., Superintendent McDonough said.

The driver of the car was later released after being interviewed.

“At the time we did not feel that charging was called for,” Superintendent McDonough said.

The police are still searching for the second person who ran from the officers. Superintendent McDonough asked that he turn himself in “so that he can give a comprehensive description of what occurred this evening,” the police statement said.

Officer Rosfeld has been placed on administrative leave, officials added.

In statement on Thursday, officials from the borough of East Pittsburgh said they were “profoundly saddened by the death of Antwon Rose” and offered sympathy and condolences to his family.

“We have confidence in the Allegheny County Police and District Attorney’s Office and we will be transparent with any and all information that they need during the investigation,” the statement said.

Gisele Barreto Fetterman, whose husband is the mayor of Braddock, Pa., said on Facebook that Antwon had volunteered at the Free Store, an organization she created that gives away surplus and donated items to those in need. When he was 14, she wrote, “and only a few weeks into summer vacation,” he asked about volunteering at the Free Store, and he “was scheduled to return this summer.”

On Wednesday, Ms. Fetterman recalled Antwon’s politeness when he would stop by to help on Saturday mornings. “He would always call me Ms. G or Ma’am,” she said.

Raemon Prunty, 18, a childhood friend of Antwon’s who also volunteered at the Free Store, said he last spoke with him three days ago.

Mr. Prunty said that as an African-American, he, too, would have acted as Antwon did.

“If I was in Antwon’s shoes,” he said, “I would have ran.”

“It’s out of fear,” Mr. Prunty said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk...al-police-shooting-17-year-old-antwon-n885196

Protests erupt following fatal police shooting of 17-year-old Antwon Rose

Chanting ‘black lives matter’ and demanding justice, hundreds of people gathered outside of the Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh on Thursday to protest the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teen who was running away from officers when he was killed.

“I am not what you think. I’m confused and afraid. I wonder what path I will take. I hear that there's only 2 ways out,” said Christian of Youth Park Collective, reading a poem written by Antwon Rose II in tenth grade and afterward calling for a moment silence.

Activist Leon Ford Jr., who was shot by a Pittsburgh police officer after a traffic stop in 2012 and is paralyzed, spoke at the rally. Fighting back tears at times, he called for city Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala to hold the officer accountable.

“This is painful for me. Because I fought for six years and I thought this wouldn’t happen again,” he said. “I speak all over the country and I talk about love, compassion, and understanding. But how do you have that right now?”

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...residents-demand-answers/stories/201806200224

East Pittsburgh residents demand answers in 17-year-old's death

Dozens of activists gathered Wednesday outside the East Pittsburgh Police Department to protest the fatal police shooting of Antwon Rose, the 17-year-old killed Tuesday during a traffic stop in North Braddock.

Demonstrators stood in front of the station just before 6 p.m., holding signs and photos of Antwon, shouting his name and demanding answers about his death.

“If we don’t do it, ain’t nobody else out here going to do it for us,” 18-year-old Anyah Jackson said. “We’re not just going to let these people be out here murdering our children.”

Outside the police station, people lined up along the sidewalk with their backs turned to officers positioned across the street.

“If they want to shoot us, make them do it in our backs,” one speaker shouted into a megaphone, referring to a video recording of the shooting posted on Facebook that showed two people running from police who fire shots.

The rally spilled into the streets and blocked traffic near the intersections of Electric and Braddock avenues, a couple of blocks from the police station. Protesters held their fists up and signs that said, “Justice4Antwon” and “End Police Violence Now.”

They included Cathy Welsh, the mother of 16-year-old Jerame Turner, who was killed in a shooting in Turtle Creek in late November.

Ms. Welsh, who has been guiding Woodland Hills High School student activists since her son’s death last year, said this shooting impacted her family again. Antwon was her brother-in-law’s nephew, she said.

“I don’t understand it,” she said. “He wasn’t in the streets, ever. He was a good kid.”

The demonstration momentarily grew tense as an unmarked police vehicle drove through the crowd on Braddock Avenue, a dog barking from the back seat. Demonstrators surrounded the SUV and others sprawled out in front of the vehicle, staging what they called a “die-in.”

“I was born and raised in this city, and I shouldn’t be afraid to walk out the door,” 27-year-old Maya Randolph said.

After several hours, storms moved in. As rain fell, protesters sat in the middle of Braddock Avenue, police lights flashing behind them.

“Say his name,” they said. “Antwon!”

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny...e-ag-to-investigate-police-involved-shootings

Black activists outraged at police killing of teen, ask AG to investigate

Black activists across Western Pennsylvania expressed outrage Thursday as the investigation continued into an East Pittsburgh officer that shot and killed an unarmed teen this week.

The head of the Black Political Empowerment Project said 17-year-old Antwon Rose was shot because he was black and did not trust the District Attorney's office to independently investigate.

The head of the Pittsburgh Chapter of the NAACP questioned how much training the officer had and said the officer didn't think when he pulled the trigger.

"There is no reason for this death other than somebody felt a black life did not matter," said Tim Stevens, chair and CEO of B-PEP and a long-time activist in Pittsburgh's black community.

The officer who shot Rose in the back as he ran from a traffic stop may not have done so if the teen had been white, Stevens said.

"Maybe if he were white, he would look at that 17-year-old as his child or his nephew or his cousin or the grandchild because he's looking at himself," Stevens said of the officer. "Far too many white officers don't look at black children and black men as people. Some look at them as animals."

Allegheny County police Superintendent Coleman McDonough has declined to disclose the officer's race or the officer's name.

The organization, along with the Greater Pittsburgh Coalition Against Violence, are calling for changes to state law that would require all officer-involved shootings be investigated and prosecuted by the Pennsylvania Office of the Attorney General.

The group Thursday sent a three-page letter with the request to McDonough, Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr., and state Attorney General Josh Shapiro.

The group has been pushing for the change, which they call the Due Process Act, for several years, Stevens said.

"Maybe this is the case where that (request) has a little more focus," he said.

Zappala has said if state lawmakers made that change, he would comply, according to a letter the district attorney sent Stevens in January. Zappala's position remains the same, spokesman Mike Manko said Thursday.

Shapiro on Thursday released a statement calling Rose's death a tragedy and saying he does not have jurisdiction over the case unless Zappala refers it to him.

"I hear the outrage of the people in East Pittsburgh," Shapiro said in the statement. "The loss of any young life is deeply painful, and I expect local law enforcement to give this the thorough investigation it deserves."

Richard Stewart Jr., president of the Pittsburgh chapter of the NAACP, supports B-PEP's efforts.

"This district attorney has shown, in the past, that he will not indict law enforcement officers," Stewart said.

Local NAACP leaders say they're figuring out how to respond to Rose's death..

"The community is hurt and outraged," Stewart said. "Bottom line, another black youth, another youngster, will not be able to graduate, not be able to go to college, not be able to become an asset in his community."

Stewart was an officer in the Allegheny County Sheriff's Department for 30 years, and he said police need more training.

"He didn't think. He was caught up in the moment, and he pulled his gun, and fired. Three shots," Stewart said.

The Greensburg-Jeannette chapter has been talking with the Pittsburgh chapter about next steps, said President Ruth Tolbert.

"This young man had a whole life ahead of him, and just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time it's done," Tolbert said. "It's over with."

Tolbert said the shooting is typical of the way black men are treated by law enforcement.

"It's typical they don't get to give their side of the story," Tolbert said. "Everybody is grouped into one stereotype."

B-PEP and the Greater Pittsburgh Coalition Against Violence are also asking for that a countywide citizens review board be created to examine such incidents, focusing not on the Allegheny County Police, but on the police departments of the boroughs, townships and cities within the county.

The creation of such a board would likely require the councils of those municipalities and for Allegheny County Council to adopt ordinances, said Elizabeth Pittinger, executive director of the Pittsburgh Citizen Police Review Board, which was founded in 1997.

"The checks and balances are what this comes down to, and when they're out of whack, this is what happens," Pittinger said.

Stevens praised the Pittsburgh police, Mayor Bill Peduto, Police Chief Scott Shubert and former Police Chief Cameron McClay for their efforts in recent years to work on police-community relationships.

"We have been blessed in recent years in Pittsburgh that such needless deaths of our young African American men have not occurred, and hope and pray that the pattern continues," the letter said.

The city police still have work to do, but county's other municipalities should follow the city's lead, Stevens said.

He hopes Rose's death can serve as an opportunity for change.

Several other state require all police shootings be investigated at the state level, Stevens said. In Wisconsin, all fatal police shootings are investigated at the state level by the Division of Criminal Investigation, within the Wisconsin Department of Justice.

In Connecticut, officer-involved shootings are investigated by the appropriate State's Attorney, under the supervision of the Office of the Chief State's Attorney, a spokesperson said.

Last year, the Philadelphia City Council decided the investigation of a black man fatally shot by a police officer from behind would be investigated by the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office. The Philadelphia officer was fired, but charges have not been filed, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported this month.
The creation of such a board would likely require the councils of those municipalities and for Allegheny County Council to adopt ordinances, said Elizabeth Pittinger, executive director of the Pittsburgh Citizen Police Review Board, which was founded in 1997.

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny...burgh-over-killing-of-17-year-old-antwon-rose

Protesters gather in Pittsburgh over killing of 17-year-old Antwon Rose

Hundreds of people poured onto Grant Street outside the Allegheny County Courthouse in Downtown Pittsburgh to demand justice for a teenage boy shot and killed by police this week.

The protesters also called on District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. to "side with the people" rather than act as a "defense attorney for the police."

The protest came two days after an East Pittsburgh police officer shot 17-year-old Antwon Rose as he ran from a vehicle stopped by police about 8:20 p.m. Tuesday. Viral video of the incident shows Rose being shot within seconds of running from the car.

"We have to show up, we have to show out, we have to show what we stand for and what we stand against," Brandi Fisher, president of the Alliance for Police Accountability, said to the crowd. "Antwon Rose Jr. – say his name."

The crowd chanted his name.

"This is not a game," Fisher said. "We have to be out here until Antwon's family sees justice."

She called on the crowd to vote Zappala out of office.

"I cannot express enough how we need to get this evil man out of office," she said.

http://www.wtae.com/article/east-pi...r-identified-in-antwon-rose-shooting/21754207

Officer who opened fire talks for first time since fatal shooting of Antwon Rose in East Pittsburgh

The East Pittsburgh police officer who fatally shot 17-year-old Antwon Rose during a traffic stop spoke with Pittsburgh's Action News 4 reporter Marcie Cipriani in person Thursday.

Michael Rosfeld confirmed he was sworn in on the night of the shooting, but said he had been on duty with the department for about three weeks. He said he's been a police officer since 2011, previously working for the Oakmont, Harmer and University of Pittsburgh police departments, before coming to East Pittsburgh.

Rosfeld said he and his family are trying to deal with what happened. He said this is a difficult time for them and said he wasn't ready to talk about what happened in the moments before he fired his gun or why he did it. He said he's gotten a lot of support from law enforcement, but has stayed away from all of the media coverage.

Rosfeld said he did not know there was video showing the moments that he fired his gun three times, striking and killing Rose.

Allegheny County police said Rosfeld pulled over the car Rose was riding in, because it matched the description of the vehicle involved in a shooting in North Braddock 13 minutes earlier.

Investigators said the vehicle had clearly been hit by bullets.

County police said the driver was in custody when Rose and the other passenger fled and Rosfeld fired.

The mayor of East Pittsburgh said less than 2,000 people live in the tiny borough and that they are still trying to understand what happened.

"I've been a mayor for 20 years and long before that I don't think a police officer's discharged their pistol or weapon in all that time and unfortunately it had to be now," East Pittsburgh Mayor Louis Payne said. "We can't change what happened, nothing can change what happened. All we can do is remember Antwon, pray on it and dwell on it and make something good come out of his life."

Rosfeld is now on unpaid leave from his job as a part time police officer while Allegheny County homicide detectives investigate the death of Rose, who police have said was unarmed and fleeing from the traffic stop.

The following statement was released Thursday by the Borough of East Pittsburgh Mayor, Council and police:

"We are profoundly saddened by the death of Antwon Rose. This is a tragic loss for his family and friends as well as for our community as a whole. We offer our deepest sympathy and condolences to Mr. Rose’s family and friends, the residents of East Pittsburgh and all those affected by this tragedy.

This is a very stressful time for our community. We are seeking truth and answers but the process takes time. We hope that everyone can respect this process. We will get through this together as a community.

We have confidence in the Allegheny County Police and District Attorney’s Office and we will be transparent with any and all information that they need during the investigation.

At this time, we ask for the public to be patient and respectful of their fellow neighbors as the investigation continues to move forward."

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/201...fore-he-was-killed-by-east-pittsburgh-police/

‘I See Mothers Bury Their Sons, I Want My Mom To Never Feel That Pain:’ Antwon Rose Writes Haunting Poem Two Years Before He Was Killed By East Pittsburgh Police Officer

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – During a downtown rally for Antwon Rose, the teen killed by East Pittsburgh police, a poem that Antwon had written years earlier was read.

The Woodlands Hills School District released the poem.

“His mom, Michelle Kenny, wants everyone to have it,” Superintendent Licia Lentz said in a message.

Rose reportedly wrote the poem two years during a 10th grade Honors English class at Woodland Hills High School.

The poem, titled, “I AM NOT WHAT YOU THINK!” describes Rose’s fear of violence in his community.

One line reads, “I see mothers bury their sons; I want my mom to never feel that pain.”

The 17-year-old was shot and killed by an East Pittsburgh police officer as he ran from a car that officers had stopped.

The officer fired three shots at Rose as he ran from the scene, hitting him in the back, killing him.

Approximately 10 minutes later, a patrolman in East Pittsburgh pulled over a car matching the description of a vehicle that had been spotted at the Braddock shooting. Officials say that Rose and the second suspect jumped from the back of the car and began running away.

The officer fired three shots, striking and killing Rose as he ran between two buildings. The second suspect got away.

The East Pittsburgh police officer involved in the shooting is on paid administrative leave while Allegheny County police investigate.

Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala issued a statement saying he met Thursday with investigators “and received a detailed and thorough briefing on the officer involved shooting” and that the investigation is ongoing.

The activist group Black Political Empowerment Project (B-PEP) called on the State Attorney General on Thursday to take over the investigation of Rose’s death from the DA.

This is the poem Antwon wrote.

By Antwon Rose
5/16/2-16

I AM NOT WHAT YOU THINK!

I am confused and afraid
I wonder what path I will take
I hear that there’s only two ways out
I see mothers bury their sons
I want my mom to never feel that pain
I am confused and afraid

I pretend all is fine
I feel like I’m suffocating