Welcome To aBlackWeb

Dope Albums That Get Alot of Hate?

No one would say such things about 36 Chambers...no one

Actually, the early Wu Tang stuff sounds kinda busted compared to what was happening on The West Coast at the time. I mean the sonic quality, not the beats and rhymes.

I understand that RZA intentionally made the 36 Chambers album sound dusty rather than polished. I thought RZA perfected his craft with Liquid Swords. That album has the Wu Tang sound and feel, but the sonic quality is better than 36 Chambers or Cuban Linx.

Wu Tang Forever sounds better, sonically, than 36 Chambers

Actually, the early Wu Tang stuff sounds kinda busted compared to what was happening on The West Coast at the time. I mean the sonic quality, not the beats and rhymes.

I understand that RZA intentionally made the 36 Chambers album sound dusty rather than polished. I thought RZA perfected his craft with Liquid Swords. That album has the Wu Tang sound and feel, but the sonic quality is better than 36 Chambers or Cuban Linx.

Don’t do this bullshit this mornin’ bruh

:ghost:

You can’t in one breath say it doesn’t sound good sonically because it sounds dusty then turn right around and say “but I understand the Rza made it that way in purpose”...36 Chambers TO ME still has aged better than tha Chronic AND Doggystyle which are 2 west coast albums I still play in tha regular today...Dre had money and a machine behind on damn near every album post NWA when even then he had Jerry Heller while tha Rza was in apartments and dirty NYC studios making culture defining music...and yes Wu Tang Forever sounds “cleaner” because tha majority of that album was done out West and is also still a great album but there’s nothing...and I do mean NOTHING...sonically displeasing then it now about 36 Chambers....

1362417D-1730-45AE-BB4E-B7472E372E6E.gif

You can’t in one breath say it doesn’t sound good sonically because it sounds dusty then turn right around and say “but I understand the Rza made it that way in purpose”...36 Chambers TO ME still has aged better than tha Chronic AND Doggystyle which are 2 west coast albums I still play in tha regular today...Dre had money and a machine behind on damn near every album post NWA when even then he had Jerry Heller while tha Rza was in apartments and dirty NYC studios making culture defining music...and yes Wu Tang Forever sounds “cleaner” because tha majority of that album was done out West and is also still a great album but there’s nothing...and I do mean NOTHING...sonically displeasing then it now about 36 Chambers....

View attachment 124568

I get your point, but I can understand how a person from California might not have liked 36 Chambers when it first came out.

And I CAN say, "it doesn’t sound good sonically because it sounds dusty" then turn right around and say “but I understand the Rza made it that way in purpose”.

Criminal Minded is another album that sounds terrible sonically, but it's a 5 mic classic nonetheless.

Usually I defer to the OGs but this makes no sense.

giphy (46).gif

I get your point, but I can understand how a person from California might not have liked 36 Chambers when it first came out.

And I CAN say, "it doesn’t sound good sonically because it sounds dusty" then turn right around and say “but I understand the Rza made it that way in purpose”.

Criminal Minded is another album that sounds terrible sonically, but it's a 5 mic classic nonetheless.

Can’t compare late 80’s sound wit’ ‘93-‘96 sound...36 Chambers, The Infamous, Illmatic, OB4CL,m are all “grimey” NYC classic albums that sound “ashy” on purpose that no matter where you from at what age you should sound sonically pleasing to you...if not you have tha trashest earbuds possible

I don’t make tha rules I just enforce’em my nigga

:js4:

Can’t compare late 80’s sound wit’ ‘93-‘96 sound...36 Chambers, The Infamous, Illmatic, OB4CL,m are all “grimey” NYC classic albums that sound “ashy” on purpose that no matter where you from at what age you should sound sonically pleasing to you...if not you have tha trashest earbuds possible

I don’t make tha rules I just enforce’em my nigga

:js4:

Illmatic and The Infamous sound better sonically than 36 Chambers and Cuban Linx.

Like I said in an earlier post, I think Liquid Swords sounds better sonically than 36 Chambers and Cuban Linx.

Illmatic and The Infamous sound better sonically than 36 Chambers and Cuban Linx.

Like I said in an earlier post, I think Liquid Swords sounds better sonically than 36 Chambers and Cuban Linx.

Nope...

Maybe...MAYBE The Infamous sonically edges out 36 Chambers very very slightly because I’ll give Hav his props...The Infamous has aged GREAT...but right behind that in this particular group of albums would be 36 Chambers...then OB4CL...Liquid Swords (which I also agree sonically was and is great) and THEN Illmatic which could possibly be tha best classic out of all of them but imo has aged tha worst...no troll

We can agree to disagree.

But can we agree that Me Against The World sounds better sonically than Only Built For Cuban Linx?

We can agree to disagree.

But can we agree that Me Against The World sounds better sonically than Only Built For Cuban Linx?

Ohhhh...lol...I see...I thought you were trolling me cuz you might have noticed my “musical tastes” before but now I understand you don’t pay attention to my posts at all...and I’m not mad lol...buuut FUCK NO my nigga!! Lol

I’m an official member of The Wu in my mind......and I feel like no group and or solo artist has ever had a run like 36 Chambers, Tical, 36 Chambers Dirty Version, Liquid Swords, Ironman, OB4CL, Wu Tang Forever and Supreme Clientele...and to me because of who I am...all off those albums sonically sound better than Me Against The World

Ohhhh...lol...I see...I thought you were trolling me cuz you might have noticed my “musical tastes” before but now I understand you don’t pay attention to my posts at all...and I’m not mad lol...buuut FUCK NO my nigga!! Lol

I’m an official member of The Wu in my mind......and I feel like no group and or solo artist has ever had a run like 36 Chambers, Tical, 36 Chambers Dirty Version, Liquid Swords, Ironman, OB4CL, Wu Tang Forever and Supreme Clientele...and to me because of who I am...all off those albums sonically sound better than Me Against The World

FWadAu.gif

View attachment 124568

Enter the 36 Chambers, and more importantly "Protect Ya Neck", sounded the way it did because of two reasons: The studio they recorded in was a cheap, shitty studio and RZA really didn't know what the fuck he was doing. The mastering engineer, Chris Gehringer, was quoted in an interview with Spin as saying "It was a little bit of a shit-show! It wasn't the cleanest of audio, and it wasn't audiophile material, and they didn't spend a lot of time miking and recording stuff, but sometimes art shows up in funny ways."

Obviously he got better with time, and as he got better and the money started rolling in they switched to better studios with more modern (cleaner sounding) equipment. If you notice, Method Man's album is sonically far better that the original Protect Ya Neck single and Enter the 36 Chambers. That's because of RZA's improved technique behind the boards and, IIRC, the studio they recorded out of was running ADAT.

Meanwhile, the west coast cats of the same era like DJ Quik, Dre, Ant Banks, and 'nem already had the budgets for better equipped studios from jump, so naturally their shit sounded a lot "cleaner"; they were already on ADAT and 16 bit samplers, etc where most of NYC were still believers in dirty sounding 12 bit SP1200's, MPC60's, S950's, and 2" analog tape (referenced by Q-Tip on "Midnight" "I think it's hard to find the words on how I feel/I paid about a deuce twenty for the Ampex steel" where the Ampex steel refers to 2" Ampex reel to reel tape which ran about $225 each back then).

Enter the 36 Chambers, and more importantly "Protect Ya Neck", sounded the way it did because of two reasons: The studio they recorded in was a cheap, shitty studio and RZA really didn't know what the fuck he was doing. The mastering engineer, Chris Gehringer, was quoted in an interview with Spin as saying "It was a little bit of a shit-show! It wasn't the cleanest of audio, and it wasn't audiophile material, and they didn't spend a lot of time miking and recording stuff, but sometimes art shows up in funny ways."

Obviously he got better with time, and as he got better and the money started rolling in they switched to better studios with more modern (cleaner sounding) equipment. If you notice, Method Man's album is sonically far better that the original Protect Ya Neck single and Enter the 36 Chambers. That's because of RZA's improved technique behind the boards and, IIRC, the studio they recorded out of was running ADAT.

Meanwhile, the west coast cats of the same era like DJ Quik, Dre, Ant Banks, and 'nem already had the budgets for better equipped studios from jump, so naturally their shit sounded a lot "cleaner"; they were already on ADAT and 16 bit samplers, etc where most of NYC were still believers in dirty sounding 12 bit SP1200's, MPC60's, S950's, and 2" analog tape (referenced by Q-Tip on "Midnight" "I think it's hard to find the words on how I feel/I paid about a deuce twenty for the Ampex steel" where the Ampex steel refers to 2" Ampex reel to reel tape which ran about $225 each back then).

My answer to you sir is....

9BF248C8-6D01-4BF0-9349-10669B437A5F.gif

You're saying the same thing I'm saying. The early Wu Tang stuff sounds busted compared to what was coming out of the West Coast. The West Coast had a shiny, polished sound while the East Coast in general was more gritty and dirty. It was Puff Daddy & Bad Boy that figured out what the other 49 states wanted to hear. If you listen to Party & Bullshit it sounded gritty, but it was also a flop and didn't make the album (Ready To Die). Songs like Juicy, Big Poppa and One More Chance (Remix) did well nationally, not just in New York.

I understand that 36 Chambers is supposed to sound that way, but my point is, and was, that Liquid Swords and Wu Tang Forever sound better sonically than 36 Chambers and Only Built For Cuban Linx.

You're saying the same thing I'm saying. The early Wu Tang stuff sounds busted compared to what was coming out of the West Coast. The West Coast had a shiny, polished sound while the East Coast in general was more gritty and dirty. It was Puff Daddy & Bad Boy that figured out what the other 49 states wanted to hear. If you listen to Party & Bullshit it sounded gritty, but it was also a flop and didn't make the album (Ready To Die). Songs like Juicy, Big Poppa and One More Chance (Remix) did well nationally, not just in New York.

I understand that 36 Chambers is supposed to sound that way, but my point is, and was, that Liquid Swords and Wu Tang Forever sound better sonically than 36 Chambers and Only Built For Cuban Linx.

no, you're missing my point: The sound of 36 Chambers wasn't intentional at all. It sounds that way due to RZA's inexperience. Compare it to seasoned East coast acts like Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, ATCQ, etc and there's a stark difference in quality. RZA made his shit on cheap equipment that sounded bad compared to the shit everyone else was using. The recording space used shitty equipment that sounded bad as well. RZA didn't know how to stage a mix properly at that point and all of it combined to give it the sound it has.

Compare it to, say, Das EFX's shit. Even though some of their shit has an edge to it, it still sounds clean, but it lacks the "brilliance", if you will, of ADAT recoded West coast shit; it's got a warmer sound.

At the same time, older west coast shit had pretty much the same sound as east coast shit 'cause they all used similar equipment. I think that the west just jumped on the digital shits faster. (IIRC, Digital Underground's "Sons of the P" was the very first album recorded in a completely tape-less, all hard disk studio)

no, you're missing my point: The sound of 36 Chambers wasn't intentional at all. It sounds that way due to RZA's inexperience. Compare it to seasoned East coast acts like Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, ATCQ, etc and there's a stark difference in quality. RZA made his shit on cheap equipment that sounded bad compared to the shit everyone else was using. The recording space used shitty equipment that sounded bad as well. RZA didn't know how to stage a mix properly at that point and all of it combined to give it the sound it has.

Compare it to, say, Das EFX's shit. Even though some of their shit has an edge to it, it still sounds clean, but it lacks the "brilliance", if you will, of ADAT recoded West coast shit; it's got a warmer sound.

At the same time, older west coast shit had pretty much the same sound as east coast shit 'cause they all used similar equipment. I think that the west just jumped on the digital shits faster. (IIRC, Digital Underground's "Sons of the P" was the very first album recorded in a completely tape-less, all hard disk studio)

Nosign.

RZA produced all of those albums on an ASR-10, which was the state of the art sampler in the early 90s.

Here's an interview

https://equipboard.com/pros/rza/ensoniq-asr-10

Nosign.

RZA produced all of those albums on an ASR-10, which was the state of the art sampler in the early 90s.

Here's an interview

https://equipboard.com/pros/rza/ensoniq-asr-10

Dude can't even get his story straight. First he says he used an SP1200, EPS16/EPS16+ for a lot of their early shit.

"... and on that SP1200 I made Bring The Pain and a few other classic Wu joints"
"... Ensonic had made something called the EPS16+... And with that I made songs like, um, Method Man, uuhh... C.R.E.A.M. ..."

and at the end he says the first 100 Wu joints were all ASR10. Well, which is it?

And the ASR didn't come out in '91, that was squarely a 92 piece of equipment. The studio I was recording out of that summer had just got an ASR10 Rack and it had just been released. I never used it for my shit 'cause I was partial to the MPC60II they had and wasn't finna learn another piece of equipment when the MPC was getting the job done.

There's other accounts of the early Wu that says RZA borrowed all of the shit they used for the first album, including the SP1200.

The only thing that's certain was what the mastering engineer said; the shit was pretty badly mixed, which contributed to the early sound.

StreetsDisciple.jpg

Shit Was Full Of Bangers With Nas Spittin Flamez Even The Cross Over Joints Were Decent 4/5 From Me

Back