Welcome To aBlackWeb

Did Jesus think the Earth was flat?

Assuming you don't believe Jesus is the Son of God and therefore knew everything let alone the shape of the world, the Ancient Greeks, most notably Pythagoras and Aristotle, knew the world was around hundreds of years before Jesus was born. That doesn't necessarily mean Jesus knew it, but the idea that the whole world thought the world was flat until Columbus is a myth.

Assuming you don't believe Jesus is the Son of God and therefore knew everything let alone the shape of the world, the Ancient Greeks, most notably Pythagoras and Aristotle, knew the world was around hundreds of years before Jesus was born. That doesn't necessarily mean Jesus knew it, but the idea that the whole world thought the world was flat until Columbus is a myth.
The idea of Jesus being omniscient does not come from the bible, but from illogical assumptions concerning what it the description "son of god" actually means.

That leads back to my original point of the thread. Now sure, we know Columbus was looking for another route to India and the concept of a circular Earth exist long before him. So yeah... fuck him.

Now the premise of this thread was wrong and you're right. Plato and the Greeks alluded to the Earth's shape in BC, not AD.

To those who do think he is all knowing, how do you suggest to explain him not advancing science and technology for the 33 years he was alive?

if i had to guess, i'd say no.

Jesus was human to set an example on how to live righteous.

i don't think his purpose was for scientific discoveries.

i mean he actually got killt cuz he was tryna tell people it was okay to work on the sabbath...i don't think the world was truly ready for much more discovery than that...

Reactions: B_A
The idea of Jesus being omniscient does not come from the bible, but from illogical assumptions concerning what it the description "son of god" actually means.

That leads back to my original point of the thread. Now sure, we know Columbus was looking for another route to India and the concept of a circular Earth exist long before him. So yeah... fuck him.

Now the premise of this thread was wrong and you're right. Plato and the Greeks alluded to the Earth's shape in BC, not AD.

To those who do think he is all knowing, how do you suggest to explain him not advancing science and technology for the 33 years he was alive?

Your last question is kinda silly. Jesus purpose was to come and teach the people how they should be living and then die as a sacrifice for the world's sins. He did not care about advancing science and technology. It's weird you'd even ask that given how much of Jesus' philosophy was focused on the avoidance of too much commitment to worldly things. Now I'm not one of those people that thinks God doesn't want us partaking the technology and breakthroughs of the world. I'm just saying that God and, by extension, Jesus doesn't care about our level of technological maturity.

Also, Jesus is stated in the Bible to be the Word of God or the image of God on earth. Basically, the Father is a spiritual being that can't really be perceived by us in his true form. Jesus is more less the worldly representation of God. So it's true that on his own he doesn't have omnipotence or omniscience because he was a human in every sense of the word. However, the Bible says that he was granted all power from the Father, which explains how he was able to perform all those miracles and come back from the dead. So no, Jesus being omniscient isn't really some illogical assumption. It might not be true in the strictest sense, but given his connection to the Father, it is fair to say that he did have access to all knowledge.

Last I looked, it was called the Sermon on the Mount and not Ted Talks. :

The Sermon on the Mount
Matthew 5: 3- 11 (ā€˜The Beatitudesā€™)
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousnessā€™ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Matthew 6: 9 -13 (ā€˜The Lordā€™s Prayer)
After this manner therefore pray ye:
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever.
Amen.

For more information about Jesus Christ and his leadership, please visit Jesus Christ Leadership.

Last edited:
I thought Jesus stated that it was cool to have slaves if that was the law?

1) It's unfair to even compare what the Bible is talking about as slavery to what we think of when talking about American slavery. In the Bible, slaves are more like indentured servants meaning were working to pay off a debt or something similar. They weren't treated like animals. They weren't stripped of all their rights. Their servitude wasn't unending. And their family members and children weren't necessarily bonded.

2) No, Jesus never said slavery was ok. He acknowledged the system existed, and spoke of slaves in his parables, but at no point did he say "Slavery is ok as long as slavemasters treat their slaves well." You're probably thinking more about Paul anyway. Paul didn't say slavery was ok either, but he did go farther in his acceptance of slavery when he instructed slaves to obey their masters. Even then, that would be more akin, to a preacher telling prisoners to obey the C.O.s than to a person saying harsh prison sentences and an unjust penal system is ok.

You shouldnt need a book to tell you not to act like a dickhead

Maybe in LaLa land or whatever fairy tale world you're from, but what in the real world makes you believe the masses of people would consistently do the right, just, and humane things without some code of conduct, set of laws, or religious doctrine in place. Hell all three of those things exist and people still don't consistently behave in a respectable manner. So clearly people need a book and more to tell them not to act like dickheads.

Back