Welcome To aBlackWeb

De La Soul has reportedly regained ownership of their masters.

Ive been playing de la soul all day! Even more than Nas new project. I am all for this regained ownership of their masters!

DJ Drama’s Gangsta Grillz stylings helped take Tyler, The Creator’s CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST to the No. 1 spot on the Billboard 200 last month. Now, it looks like he wants to do the same thing with De La Soul. On Tuesday (August 10), De La Soul hopped on Instagram Live to talk about their newly acquired catalog, which they’d been fighting Tommy Boy Records for over the past two decades.

De La released six albums with the iconic Hip Hop label, including the 1989 classic 3 Feet High and Rising, 1991’s De La Soul is Dead, 1993’s Buhloone Mindstate and 1996’s Stakes Is High. The group’s last album with the label, AOI: Bionix, dropped in 2001.

Although Dave had difficulty getting both Maseo and Posdnuos on the screen at the same time, they were finally up and running roughly 30 minutes after the intended start time of 3 p.m. ET.

Over 3,000 people tuned in to celebrate the good news, many of them friends of the legendary Hip Hop trio. The Beat Junkies’ DJ Rhettmatic, J. PERIOD and Questlove were among the many who chimed in with celebratory comments.

Can’t wait to listen to Stakes is High in its entirety again….1 of my top 10 favorite albums ever

Last edited:
The problem is they have zero business acumen.

I remember seeing them in an interview saying that their music isn't on the internet because of sample clearances.

Then I turned off the interview and went to Youtube and all of their music was on Youtube. I went to Amazon and discogs and all of their music was for sale.

It seems like they didn't know that their music was on the internet.

If you don't know that your music is already on the internet and all you have to do is go to google and type "De La Soul", if you don't know that, then owning your masters isn't worth anything.

My point is that their music has been on streaming services this whole time and they didn't know it.

Back