I don't even remember him killing her if he did. *EDIT* I remember now. I was thinking of his social worker. I thought that was just part of him trying to escape. I remember her telling him he's about to be SOL, and that nobody cares about them. But even with that I see him having anger directed at certain people, and pushing back against a system that's throwing him to the side.

The killing at the end to me was still him having anger directed at one person that wronged and humiliated him. He didn't shoot anyone else in the studio (like the old lady that was also a guest). In the cop car when the cop says look what you did as the city burns, and he smiles and says "ya" I could see a hint of him loving chaos.

Just to me he never went full psycho. He just didn't mind killing people that disrespected him.

That's actually what I LOVED about the movie. We seen joker causing havoc in a few movies. I didn't need another movie of just that. I loved that they explain HOW he became a psycho murderer. I also noticed that he became more unstable as he lost more support n connections. Work, therapist, imaginary gf, mom, career

Reactions: IP360
maybe in the sequel he'll take more joy in his killings... but this joker didn't and that's what separated him...

think jack Nicholson dude was laughing through all his joker kills...when he was shooting the one nigga while dancing....then talking to his corpse...

he was laughing at killing the guy with the buzzer, and a gain, laughing his ass off....

and most importantly, he actually used his joker venom on mad random innocent people...and thought the shit was hilarious....

heath ledger was geeking in the bank with his little side steps...."no i kill the bus driver"

then the pencil trick "ta daaaaa"

like this dude was lunching......phoenix dude was just angry as fuck

I noticed that. The way I took it, was that he didn't WANT to become the joker. But at some point just accepted who he was

That's actually what I LOVED about the movie. We seen joker causing havoc in a few movies. I didn't need another movie of just that. I loved that they explain HOW he became a psycho murderer. I also noticed that he became more unstable as he lost more support n connections. Work, therapist, imaginary gf, mom, career

I hear you. I wasn't looking for the level of mayhem we see in Batman movies though. I was looking for an act of madness for madness sake. An act of violence against a random person. All his killings were revenge stories (except the last one, but I looked at that as an escape attempt). To me he came across as a guy that severely overreacts, but directs his anger exclusively towards the people that did honestly wrong him.

His old coworker was killed for lying on him and contributing to him getting fired. He let the midget go because he was a nice guy.

He killed De Niro for mocking and embarrassing him (on TV) for pursuing his dream. He let everyone else on the set go because they didn't do anything to him. Not even because they were nice to him, they just weren't mean to him.

He killed those 3 guys that, for no reason, were jumping him on the subway. He didn't try to find and hurt the girl they were harassing.

Honestly, he seemed like someone that if not provoked, was mostly harmless. That's not who the Joker is to me.

I hear you. I wasn't looking for the level of mayhem we see in Batman movies though. I was looking for an act of madness for madness sake. An act of violence against a random person. All his killings were revenge stories (except the last one, but I looked at that as an escape attempt). To me he came across as a guy that severely overreacts, but directs his anger exclusively towards the people that did honestly wrong him.

His old coworker was killed for lying on him and contributing to him getting fired. He let the midget go because he was a nice guy.

He killed De Niro for mocking and embarrassing him (on TV) for pursuing his dream. He let everyone else on the set go because they didn't do anything to him. Not even because they were nice to him, they just weren't mean to him.

He killed those 3 guys that, for no reason, were jumping him on the subway. He didn't try to find and hurt the girl they were harassing.

Honestly, he seemed like someone that if not provoked, was mostly harmless. That's not who the Joker is to me.
Not yet.

But this is Joker b4 the mayhem. An "orgin" per se

All those incidents were seeds that led to the Joker we know. Everything has to start from somewhere man.

Ya, but if the plan is for this movie not to have a sequel, it'd be good to show a glimpse of that.

Uhhh...killin a muthafucca on live tv and inciting Gotham riot wasn't enough chaos for you?? Lol.

Imo...I didn't need the Joker we already know. We know how psycho that muthafucca is. I wanted to know what led to that. I enjoyed this shyt. It was intriguing af. B/c for a sec...you felt sorry for him. You forgot about the villian he was gonna become in the future. Joaquin did that.

EXACTLY!

This why I said dont expect the psycho Joker we know to be in the movie. This was an orgin. A movie to answer the question "What led Joker to become who he is".

Also this joker and heath ledger's joker are two completely diff roles so personally i couldnt rank one over the other

I hate when people go and try compare Jokers.

Heath actually had the dynamic and interaction with Batman to work off of. Joaquin Phoenix had nothing but a blank slate to work off of.

People can have favorites but you can't compare the two because it's 2 very different roles and stories.

I never compared them. Each one stands on it's own. Just different versions.

But this is Joker b4 the mayhem. An "orgin" per se

All those incidents were seeds that led to the Joker we know. Everything has to start from somewhere man.

Uhhh...killin a muthafucca on live tv and inciting Gotham riot wasn't enough chaos for you?? Lol.

Imo...I didn't need the Joker we already know. We know how psycho that muthafucca is. I wanted to know what led to that. I enjoyed this shyt. It was intriguing af. B/c for a sec...you felt sorry for him. You forgot about the villian he was gonna become in the future. Joaquin did that.

The riot was from the media though wasn't it? He didn't try to build a following. The media created a story, and they rioted for basically a class war.

Here's another way to explain it.

Imagine a batman origin story (pretend we've never seen one). In the story people keep trying to rob Bruce Wayne's house, and rob him when he's walking around. He beats up all these would-be robbers. Yes he's stopping criminals, but only the ones that fucked with him. That doesn't tell me he'll become a vigilante. That's a jump to a whole different level.

For Joker. Yes, he's crazy and violent, but only towards people that fuck with him. That doesn't tell me he'll become a mayhem loving villain. That's a jump to a whole different level.

EXACTLY!

This why I said dont expect the psycho Joker we know to be in the movie. This was an orgin. A movie to answer the question "What led Joker to become who he is".

This is my point! They didn't tell us what led to Joker becoming who he is. They told us what led to him becoming a man who will kill people he believes have directly wronged him. From the movie I have no reason to think Joker would hurt someone just for entertainment, but that's who he is.
?&_

The riot was from the media though wasn't it? He didn't try to build a following. The media created a story, and they rioted for basically a class war.

Here's another way to explain it.

Imagine a batman origin story (pretend we've never seen one). In the story people keep trying to rob Bruce Wayne's house, and rob him when he's walking around. He beats up all these would-be robbers. Yes he's stopping criminals, but only the ones that fucked with him. That doesn't tell me he'll become a vigilante. That's a jump to a whole different level.

For Joker. Yes, he's crazy and violent, but only towards people that fuck with him. That doesn't tell me he'll become a mayhem loving villain. That's a jump to a whole different level.

Bruh you thinking way too deep.

Yes...the folks he killed were people who fucc'd wit him. BUT...the movie is tellin you how it all STARTED. What kickedstarted him to go down that path. What situations caused him to finally break mentally. You dont need to be told he becomes a mayhem loving villian. Audience already knows that.

Reactions: TheNightKing
This is my point! They didn't tell us what led to Joker becoming who he is. They told us what led to him becoming a man who will kill people he believes have directly wronged him. From the movie I have no reason to think Joker would hurt someone just for entertainment, but that's who he is.
?&_

Did you watch the movie man?? Lol! I'm not understanding the 1st bolded. The movie literally showed what set him on that path. So what specifically are you needing them to explain to you?

As for the 2nd bolded...yeah...but not until LATER on. A couple of years maybe. Again him killing people who wronged him was just the beginning. All the other psycho/criminal stuff doesn't come until later. Look at it like this...this movie was just the foundation to his psychotic ways.

Reactions: TheNightKing
The descent into madness is a slippery slope. In this movie he is at the top of that slope. Yes he killed people that wronged him, but he showed zero remorse in doing so, and even took pleasure in it. It’s not a stretch to think this Joker won’t eventually become the one we all know from the comics.

I never compared them. Each one stands on it's own. Just different versions.

Yea. I can't compare leto, heath to this one. This joker had a human element that the others did not. Which makes him incomparable to the other two. I never rooted or felt bad for heath or leto. However, I found myself kinda rooting for this joker, just bc he showed his human side often. I think the mental health angle and how they executed that angle helped.
They didn't just show him in a strait jacket jerking around in a white padded room, but they showed how the system and his upbringing made him unstable.

Did you watch the movie man?? Lol! I'm not understanding the 1st bolded. The movie literally showed what set him on that path. So what specifically are you needing them to explain to you?

As for the 2nd bolded...yeah...but not until LATER on. A couple of years maybe. Again him killing people who wronged him was just the beginning. All the other psycho/criminal stuff doesn't come until later. Look at it like this...this movie was just the foundation to his psychotic ways.

The movie showed what made him stop being a doormat, and start killing people that did shit to him. That's a long way from where he ends up. That's all I'm saying.

The Batman example I gave explains my problem with it. A batman origin story shouldn't end with Bruce Wayne as the head of some neighborhood watch. Then we say well that's good enough...we know that developed into him becoming vigilante Batman.

We'd need an origin story part 2 showing what motivated him to go from neighborhood watch leader, to citywide hero. That's all I'm saying. It's an origin story that stopped short IMO.

I get what @Bow to Royalty is saying, cuz I feel the same way.... But I stopped arguing it cuz people don't seem to want to get it...

Joker isn't just about killing. He isn't just about getting people back who wronged him.

He's a random instrument of chaos. The reason he never had a true origin is because there is no true reason or motive behind his madness. He's random. And he enjoys it

This dude wasn't. He wasn't random. His killings all had motives. And he was never having fun with the killing.

That's why he's not joker to me. Every crazy dude that kills isn't joker or building his way to being joker.

I saw nothing that lead me to believe he was on his way to becoming the Joker we know and love. He just seemed like a guy who killed when he was provoked.

Natural born killers were more random than him.

That's the whole point. Sure he looked crazy, but not like a guy having the time of his life. And above all joker has fun

If he seemed to enjoy his descent.... Like he was getting off on killing people... It would have been closer to me...

His laugh was painful.... But if his laugh became more joy filled with each dark step....I would have been sold

If he seemed to enjoy his descent.... Like he was getting off on killing people... It would have been closer to me...

His laugh was painful.... But if his laugh became more joy filled with each dark step....I would have been sold
Did he not laugh joyfully after he shot the tv show host?

I guess it could have been up to interpretation, which is why I said having the laugh be a condition was genius.

Did he not laugh joyfully after he shot the tv show host?

I guess it could have been up to interpretation, which is why I said having the laugh be a condition was genius.

Not really at the bolded. He went on a rant about issues with society, and talked about how some lives are valued over others. Then spoke about how people aren't empathetic enough about other people's situations, and hope society turns it's back on the mentally ill(Real psycho talk, right?). Then he killed Murray. There was eventually a short laugh, but there wasn't much to it. Here's audio (I couldn't find a video)

Making it a condition made him less crazy. Wasn't feeling it. It's like thinking someone is a sociopath then finding out he has memory loss, and just doesn't remember his bad deeds