Netflix Dave Chappelle: The Dreamer

Loved it!

Great storyteller too apart from the jokes ...

What he said about Will Smith not enjoying the rest of his night at that Oscars was real shit ...

People will always be offended at Dave ... I think he's used to that now

4/5

Dave is kinda the Kanye West of comedy…

Question for y'all

This might need to be a thread but I keep seeing "it wasn't belly aching funny" or "rotflmfao funny".

Does the material from comedians you like need to be that way all the time?

Like for me, Deon Cole is checking the belly aching funny box for me. He's had a pretty good resurgence lately. I also know I'm not getting toi much social commentary from him.

I know what I'm getting from Dave and can appreciate that not all his material is gonna be just a Chappelle show skit.

I can give a belly aching laugh at Deon Cole comedy, his last special was phenomenal, or Chapelle. I laughed loud as hell when he did the "Everybody Hates Chris" ending. Comedy can make a point but it still needs to be funny. I think the issue some have with not only Chappelle is that comics were typically seen as giving their pov on the world in a comedic way and the past few years have seen that transform into "I'm just gonna bitch and moan about shit I don't like"...and that's rarely funny.

I laughed a lot harder at this special the second time when I was watching it with other people

That kinda thing makes a big difference with comedy too

Reactions: illestni99ainne
I do think it's also interesting that people will somehow listen to the complaints of comedians that don't make sense or actually match up with that comic's reality yet reject those same complaints from other people as being overblown or not even real.

Question for y'all

This might need to be a thread but I keep seeing "it wasn't belly aching funny" or "rotflmfao funny".

Like for me, Deon Cole is checking the belly aching funny box for me. He's had a pretty good resurgence lately. I also know I'm not getting toi much social commentary from him.

I know what I'm getting from Dave and can appreciate that not all his material is gonna be just a Chappelle show skit.
For me it's a yes. It's a comedy show. You supposed to be laughing throughout IMO

I've seen some specials from comedians go political or just start talking and not making a joke. IMO you watching it to laugh

Question for y'all

Nah it doesnt i dont have an uproar reaction to think the shit was funny i had a couple of moments in the special

We spend way too much time comparing and contrasting people work..

And comparing and contrasting reactions to said art

This shit was funny as hell man
If I left it up to social media or even some of the reviews here you'd think this nigga fell off or he was a crazed bigot.

Dave just being The GOAT
Solid special I think I enjoyed this better than the last one. Like someone already in here mentioned its more light hearted than some of his previous joints

I can give a belly aching laugh at Deon Cole comedy, his last special was phenomenal, or Chapelle. I laughed loud as hell when he did the "Everybody Hates Chris" ending. Comedy can make a point but it still needs to be funny. I think the issue some have with not only Chappelle is that comics were typically seen as giving their pov on the world in a comedic way and the past few years have seen that transform into "I'm just gonna bitch and moan about shit I don't like"...and that's rarely funny.
This is exactly how I felt. Even before the LGBTQA backlash I thought Chappelle was drifting too much towards preaching rather than telling jokes. It's hard to believe he wrote most of the material in the Dreamer and wasn't just venting on stage. It felt more like those impromptu sets he does where just talks.

This is exactly how I felt. Even before the LGBTQA backlash I thought Chappelle was drifting too much towards preaching rather than telling jokes. It's hard to believe he wrote most of the material in the Dreamer and wasn't just venting on stage. It felt more like those impromptu sets he does where just talks.

I don't even mind the venting per say. Just make it funny. I'm beyond tired of comics getting on stage in front of hundreds/thousands of people to complain about how "Nobody can do comedy anymore." Clearly the audience and millions Netflix pays for these specials feels differently. So just tell the jokes.

It was about an hour long...

2/3rds of what I watched was him actually telling jokes cos I know I chuckled and laughed at them and the audience as well... The remaining third was him with old tales which I don't/didn't mind...

Show was tight IMO ...

Reactions: Iceberg_Taylor
I don't even mind the venting per say. Just make it funny. I'm beyond tired of comics getting on stage in front of hundreds/thousands of people to complain about how "Nobody can do comedy anymore." Clearly the audience and millions Netflix pays for these specials feels differently. So just tell the jokes.

When I say this though, niggas get upset lol

It was decent, I didn't have no deep belly laugh though

Idk the handicap jokes were meh,

The trans jokes were clever and placed really well.

His submersible joke wasn't funny at all

The story of his attack was entertaining

The dreamer piece was good. My favorite part

Well, to be fair, he did warn us that it was wack.