Welcome To aBlackWeb

Dallas Officer Amber Guyger's trial for the murder of Botham Shem Jean begins (FOUND GUILTY)

This entitled bitch....

Authorities say a Dallas police officer said she shot a neighbor whose home she mistakenly entered last week after he ignored her “verbal commands.”

David Armstrong of the Texas Rangers wrote in an arrest affidavit released Monday that Officer Amber Guyger said she didn’t realize she was in the wrong apartment until after she shot 26-year-old Botham Jean and went into the hallway to check the address.

Guyger was booked Sunday on a manslaughter charge in Thursday night’s killing of Jean and was released on bond.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ny-news-amber-guyger-wrong-level-garage-20180910-story.html

Prosecutor says murder charge possible against Dallas police officer who killed man after entering wrong apartment

The Dallas police officer who fatally shot a man after entering the wrong apartment is facing charges.
The Dallas County district attorney said Monday that her office will consider stronger charges — including murder — against a police officer who shot and killed her neighbor after entering his apartment.

Faith Johnson said she will present a “full case” to the grand jury against Amber Guyger, the Dallas cop who killed 26-year-old Botham Jean Thursday night, so the panel can weigh “all aspects” of the case.

Guyger, 30, was arrested on a manslaughter charge on Sunday, and booked into the Kaufman County Jail. She has been released on a $300,000 bond. The group Mothers Against Police Brutality said Guyger's arrest is a “first step” toward justice and accountability but should have come sooner.

Johnson said Monday that the Texas Rangers made the call to charge Guyger with manslaughter.

“That was totally their call, that was totally their responsibility, that was totally their lead,” she said at a news conference. “I cannot dictate to the Texas Rangers the process, the investigation, what they do and what they don't do.”

The Rangers have not yet released an incident report or given a timeline on when they may do so.

An official told the Dallas Morning News that Guyger mistakenly drove to the fourth floor — one floor above where she lived — after working a 15-hour shift.

According to the arrest affidavit, released late Monday afternoon, Guyger used a key with an electronic chip to open what she believed was her front door. The door, which was already slightly ajar, opened, at which point she saw Jean, who she assumed was a burglar.

In the pitch-black apartment, she said she gave “verbal commands” before shooting twice, hitting Jean once in the chest.

She then called 911, turning the lights on while on the phone. At that point, she checked the address on the front door and realized she was in the wrong apartment.

Guyger repeatedly said, “I thought it was my apartment” in a 911 call and apologized to Jean, according to the Dallas Morning News.

“I’m so sorry,” she can be heard saying in the 911 call.

Guyger’s blood was drawn at the scene so that it could be tested for alcohol and drugs, but the results of the tests have not been released.

Sgt. Mike Mata, president of the Dallas Police Association, on Saturday called for an “open, transparent and full investigation of the event,” according to the Morning News. He said Jean was an “amazing individual” and added that “if the grand jury deems necessary, this officer should have to answer for her actions in a court of law in Dallas County.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

A grand jury will ultimately decide the final charges against Guyger and could consider charges such as murder, a first-degree felony, or the lesser charge of manslaughter, a second-degree felony.

Still, Lee Merritt, an attorney representing the Jean family, told The Washington Post that Guyger’s claims in the affidavit are inconsistent with evidence that has been presented to the district attorney. “There are witnesses who said that before the gunshots they heard the officer knocking at the door and repeatedly saying, ‘Let me in.’”

Already passing the buck

Texas Rangers
Grand Jury
Prosecutors gonna let justice prevail....

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dal...rtment-shot-silhouette-after-commands-ignored

Family disputes official account of the moments before Amber Guyger shot Botham Jean

Dallas police Officer Amber Guyger saw only a silhouette across the room in a dark apartment Thursday before she shot 26-year-old Botham Jean, according to an arrest-warrant affidavit made public Monday.

Jean, who lived on the fourth floor of the South Side Flats in the Cedars, was home alone when Guyger mistook his apartment for hers, the affidavit says. Guyger lived on the third floor, directly beneath his apartment, and mistakenly parked on the fourth floor after finishing a shift at the Dallas Police Department, the affidavit says.

When she arrived at Jean's door, Guyger entered a unique door key with an electronic chip into the keyhole, the affidavit says. The door was already ajar, so the force of pushing the key inside opened the door, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit says the apartments' "respective interior floorplans are in most ways identical or extremely similar."

The apartment was dark and when she saw "a large silhouette," Guyger thought she was being burglarized, the affidavit says.

The affidavit says Guyger drew her gun, "gave verbal commands that were ignored" and fired twice. Jean was struck once in the torso.

Guyger then called 911 from her cellphone and started performing first aid. She turned on the lights, then went to the front door again and realized the apartment wasn't hers, the affidavit says.

She told the 911 operator as well as responding officers that she thought she was at her apartment when she shot Jean, according to the affidavit.

Jean was taken to Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, where he died.

The attorneys for Jean's family disputed the narrative in the arrest-warrant affidavit at a news conference streamed live by WFAA-TV (Channel 8) Monday evening, saying Jean was a meticulous man who wouldn't have neglected to close and lock his door.

One of the attorneys, Lee Merritt, said two independent witnesses had come forward to say they heard knocking on the door in the hallway before the shooting. One of the witnesses said she heard a a woman's voice saying, "Let me in, let me in," Merritt said. Then, they heard gunshots.

After the gunshots, one of the witnesses said she heard what she thought was a man's voice saying, "Oh my God, why did you do that?"

Merritt believes those were Jean's last words.

One witness said she didn't report what she had heard to law enforcement, but she did reach out to Jean's family because she thought what she heard contradicted with the prevailing theory.

"This affidavit is very self-serving," said attorney Benjamin Crump, who is also representing the family. "Botham Jean is not here to give his version of what happened because he's dead."

The Texas Rangers got a search warrant for Jean's apartment because after interviewing Guyger, they believed "a possibility exists that Subject Jean was expecting an unknown visitor," and a cellphone or laptop may show evidence of that, according to an affidavit.

A return for the warrant shows the Rangers seized an iPhone from the living room. They didn't take Jean's laptop, which they noted was damaged.

Guyger was arrested on a charge of manslaughter Sunday night and was booked into the Kaufman County Jail. She posted bond and was released the same night.

Neither affidavit detailed the length of the shift Guyger worked before the shooting, but a law enforcement official with direct knowledge of the case said the officer had just finished a 15-hour day before she parked on the wrong level of the parking garage at the apartment complex.

It's not unusual for members of a special team to work long days, Dallas Police Association President Mike Mata said. On the day of the shooting, Guyger and other members of a team that targets high-crime areas had helped arrest multiple suspects linked to robberies.

"[Supervisors] try to make sure you have at least six hours worth of rest before you come in," though that's not written policy, Mata said.

He noted that staffing gaps at the Dallas Police Department have made overtime work commonplace as officers continue to leave for higher-paying jobs in the suburbs.

Many Dallas officers also work part-time jobs to supplement their income, Mata said. Those off-duty jobs have to be approved by the department, and under local policy, the workday can't exceed 16 hours — including the off-duty work.

However, the police chief or the division commander can approve longer workdays.

The arrest-warrant affidavit provided the first official account of what happened the night Jean died. Without an official account of how Guyger got into Jean's apartment, misinformation swirled on social media.

In just one example, social media users ripped a photo from Jean's Instagram account and misidentified a woman pictured with him as Guyger, in an effort to prove that the two knew each other before the shooting. They did not.

Mata said he is concerned about people on social media passing along false narratives and rumors. Guyger has received threats online and through her phone.

"Someone got her cell and was sending her texts," Mata said. "And her address is on the arrest warrant."

He said "she is somewhere safe, away from that address."

Mayor Mike Rawlings said in an interview Monday that he was also trying to sort through the misinformation and the strange details of the case.

Initially, the mayor said, he was also told Guyger had been working an off-duty job — "and that was wrong," Rawlings said.

More misinformation spread throughout the weekend, to the point where Rawlings is now all but pleading with people "to stay off social media."

And then he said his "mind starts to work like every other citizen's in town about how could that happen, what does that mean she got the wrong apartment, what's the key situation, how do they get in? You become a detective right there.

"And then you say, 'That's not my job.'"

I
We’ll never know the real details unfortunately
Facts......that's why I personally don't think they should go after her with a murder one charge. Murder one means she meant to kill dude. TheresT no way to prove it and she could get off by some dumbass all white jury(which I'm sure she'll get). Manslaughter will more than likely stick than murder IMO. Hope I'm wrong

No way in hell she gets off cop or no cop even if it was 100% cause she was fucked up drunk or watever and an "accident" its not enough to just be like "oh ok you was drunk? Didnt mean to do it? Case dissmissed then" not the way it works when you kill someone

https://nypost.com/2018/09/12/family-of-dallas-cop-who-shot-neighbor-we-arent-racist/

Relatives of the white Dallas cop who fatally shot her black neighbor are attempting to do damage control after being labeled “racists” by social media users.

Amber Guyger’s brother-in-law came forward Tuesday and defended the family after photos circulated online showing him and others making hand gestures that many believed were “white power” symbols.
see also
Botham Shem Jean
Mom of Dallas man killed by cop wonders if race played role

“None of these are racist photos,” explained Noe Garza, 43. “I am not racist.”

Speaking to the Dallas Morning News, Garza claimed that his side of the family was of Mexican descent — and that the gestures were just meant to be “silly and fun.”

“I don’t care about your nationality,” he said. “I don’t care about the color of your skin. We all bleed red.”
Advertisement

One of the photos in question shows Garza — who is married to Officer Guyger’s sister — at a Joe’s Crab Shack with her and several others in 2016. He can be seen making a hand signal, which according to some, is used by white supremacists.

Garza, however, insisted that he was simply making a “6” and “9” symbol to represent the age of his father-in-law.

“It’s was his 69th birthday, so it was a 69,” Garza said, noting how they were out celebrating.

“That’s all it was.”

Another photo shows Guyger standing alongside her mother as she dons an “All Lives Matter” t-shirt. Many believe that the saying is a diss towards the Black Lives Matter movement.

“This evil bitch gets her kill first, think about it later mentality from her mother,” wrote one Twitter user, in reference to Guyger.
Advertisement

Garza told the News that his mother-in-law had received the shirt from her husband following the 2016 ambush killings of five Dallas police officers.

“[I hate] the fact that I have to prove I’m not racist,” he said.

Guyger, a four year veteran with the Dallas Police Department, is accused of killing 26-year-old Botham Jean inside his apartment after confusing it for her own. She has been charged with manslaughter.

Back