COVID vaccination site closes early after adverse reactions to Johnson & Johnson shot

Scribbledabble

Sep 14, 2019
13 people have a reaction

Thirteen people at a COVID-19 vaccination site in Colorado had adverse reactions to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Wednesday — shutting down operations for the day, a report said.

Officials did not disclose the types of reactions suffered by less than 1 percent of the more than 1,700 people given shots at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, the Denver Gazette reported.

People in cars at the mass vaccination site at Dick's Sporting Goods Park
Thirteen people at a COVID-19 vaccination site in Colorado had adverse reactions to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Wednesday — shutting down operations for the day.
9NEWS
The vaccination effort was being sponsored by the state and Centura Health. More than 600 people with appointments Wednesday were unable to receive their vaccinations after the early closure.

The vaccination effort was being sponsored by the state and Centura Health. More than 600 people with appointments Wednesday were unable to receive their vaccinations.
More than 600 people with appointments for April 7, 2021, were unable to receive their vaccinations.
AP
“We followed our protocols and in an abundance of caution, made the decision — in partnership with the state — to pause operations for the remainder of the day,” Centura Health officials said in the statement obtained by the newspaper.

People with vaccine appointments were turned away from the mass vaccination site at Dick's Sporting Goods Park
The vaccination effort was being sponsored by the state and Centura Health.
9NEWS
People with appointments who were turned away will be rescheduled to receive their shots at a different site on Sunday.

Officials did not disclose the types of reactions suffered by less than 1 percent of the more than 1,700 people given shots.
Officials did not disclose the types of reactions suffered by less than 1 percent of the more than 1,700 people given shots.
AFP via Getty Images

More people getting sick

wabc
CORONAVIRUS NEW JERSEY
MAN IN HOSPITAL WITH COVID DESPITE BEING FULLY VACCINATED, WIFE SAYS
Coronavirus Update New Jersey
By Lucy Yang
Sunday, April 11, 2021 7:22PM ET

Laura Eugene's husband is in the hospital fighting for his life. She says they got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine back on March 6. Eugene says on April 1, her husband started to feel sick.
EDISON, New Jersey (WABC) -- Laura Eugene's husband is in the hospital fighting for his life. She says they got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine back on March 6.

Eugene says on April 1, her husband started to feel sick.

"He started to feel like he had a sore throat stuffy, his coughing and then he started to run a fever, started to feel fatigue. He just gets it every day -- just kept on getting a symptom," she said.

Her husband tested positive for COVID on April 1, she says. Now he is in critical condition and is being treated for pneumonia as well.

"I think he's more concerned about me, so I try to stay positive so he can see that I'm okay so that he can fight. I need him to fight," Eugene said.

Eugene says right now her husband is on medication and doctors are taking it day by day.

"I want to see from now whether he progresses or if he deteriorates - or they just don't know which way, because they can't tell," she says.

Eugene says she and her husband were thrilled to get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine because it was one and done. Never did they imagine the whole family would still get sick.

"Me, my son, my husband, my grandkids came to visit - we didn't know we had COVID. They were tested positive as well. So, everybody's in quarantine until next Sunday," she added.

Meanwhile, Johnson & Johnson announced a huge setback in their vaccine. They report there was contamination at their facility in Baltimore which means millions of doses are no good and production this week will drop by 85%.

The pharmaceutical giant had promised to provide 100 million doses by the end of May.

MORE CORONAVIRUS COVID-19 COVERAGE

New Jersey COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker
New York City COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker
Find out if you are eligible and where you can go to get your vaccine

Do you have coronavirus symptoms?
Where to get tested in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut
WATCH: Eyewitness to a Pandemic
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on coronavirus

Submit a News Tip or Question

Report a correction or typo
Copyright © 2021 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.
Go to ABC7NY.COM
Full Site
Privacy Policy
Children's Privacy Policy
Terms of Use
Interest-Based Ads
Public Inspection File
Your California Privacy Rights
Copyright © 2021 ABC, Inc., WABC-TV New York. All Rights Reserved.

• Ether
Reactions: King Freeman
Even more

VACCINE
Some Coloradans have tested positive for COVID-19 after full vaccination, state says
CDPHE said it has not identified more breakthrough cases than it would expect given current vaccination and transmission rates.

Author: Kelly Reinke (9NEWS)
Published: 9:29 PM MDT April 11, 2021
Updated: 9:29 PM MDT April 11, 2021
FORT COLLINS, Colo. — Two nursing home employees in Fort Collins tested positive for COVID-19 in March after they were fully vaccinated, according to the owner of the facility.

Columbine Health Systems (CHS) said Lemay Avenue Health & Rehab Facility detected a positive case involving an employee through surveillance testing. Joel Bitler, director of clinical services at CHS, said that employee was not vaccinated for COVID-19 but further outbreak testing discovered four other staff members also contracted the virus. Bitler said two of those five employees were fully vaccinated.

"Even with everyone being fully vaccinated, we are still required to do surveillance testing," he said.

CHS required the COVID-19 vaccination for all employees by April 1. Bitler believes more than 90% of residents at Lemay Avenue Health & Rehab Facility were also vaccinated against the virus.

"Of all five of (the employees), we do know they had high-risk exposure outside of work," said Bitler.

A “breakthrough case” is when a fully vaccinated person gets the virus after vaccination. Health officials say some people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will still become infected because no vaccine provides 100% protection against infection. Cases developing among fully vaccinated individuals are expected.

"It was really probably shortly a few weeks after we started seeing individuals fully vaccinated that we started seeing small numbers of breakthrough cases," said Colorado State Epidemiologist Dr. Rachel Herlihy.

Colorado Department of Public Health and Education (CDPHE) said there are a number of cases in the state that meet the standard CDC criteria used to define persons who have become infected with COVID-19 after being fully vaccinated. CDPHE said it has not identified more breakthrough cases than they would expect given current vaccination and transmission rates. A spokesperson said some of these cases are asymptomatic.

"Based on preliminary info, we don’t believe we are seeing an excess of these cases or that we are seeing decrease effectiveness," Herlihy said.

Herlihy said the state is participating in studies with the CDC and other states to better understand vaccine breakthrough cases.

"Are individuals of certain age groups who are vaccinated more likely to be breakthrough cases? Are they occurring in a certain part of the state?" she said.

RELATED: COVID-19: How have vaccinations impacted the first groups vaccinated in Colorado?

Along with CDC, CDPHE is collecting information about these cases in order to learn more about variant strains. CDPHE said the state does not yet have data on how many of these cases in Colorado are due to COVID-19 variants.

"We continue to see a decline in cases and hospitalizations among individuals who have been vaccinated and I think that is strong evidence that the vaccines are working," Herlihy said.

Over at Lemay Avenue Health & Rehab Facility, CHS said all tests came back negative for residents even after the two employees got COVID-19. The number of employees who tested positive is small considering more than 200 staff work at the facility, according to Bitler.

"Huge relief for us to feel things are finally moving in the right direction and even if we do continue to see some of this positive tests still coming, we can still protect our residents," he said.

Related Articles
Colorado coronavirus latest case, vaccine numbers for April 11
Mass vaccination site at Dick's Sporting Goods Park reopens after adverse reactions last week
SUGGESTED VIDEOS: COVID-19 Coronavirus

Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
Your California Privacy Policy
Do Not Sell My Information
Ad Choices
© 2021 KUSA-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Yea, they did say this shit dont protect you 100%. Man this shit aint funny BUT a mfer getting vaccinated and still catching covid and have it be bad enough to hospitalize you is funny to me. Like damn thats some bad luck

Reactions: Scribbledabble
Yea, they did say this shit dont protect you 100%. Man this shit aint funny BUT a mfer getting vaccinated and still catching covid and have it be bad enough to hospitalize you is funny to me. Like damn thats some bad luck
That’s not bad luck.

it’s bad data and hiding the truth.

still catching it after the vaccine makes the virus stronger.

More people getting sick

Yahoo Finance

GOBankingRates
Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Reactions Spark Site Shutdowns
Dawn Allcot
April 12, 2021, 11:17 am
607488927c853739a68fea6e_o_U_v2.jpg

Eyepix/NurPhoto/Shutterstock / Eyepix/NurPhoto/Shutterstock

Eyepix/NurPhoto/Shutterstock / Eyepix/NurPhoto/Shutterstock
The Georgia Department of Public Health shut down a vaccination site administering the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine last Wednesday after eight people experienced adverse reactions from the shot, Fox 8 in Cleveland, Ohio, reported Sunday. The reactions occurred at the Cumming Fairground vaccination site, and one person was hospitalized.
See: Should the COVID-19 Vaccine Be Required? Take Our Poll
Find: Johnson & Johnson Working On Next-Generation Vaccine Against Variants

Additionally, two North Carolina vaccination sites and one in Colorado paused administering the J&J vaccine after recipients experienced fainting, dizziness and nausea following the shot. Nine people given the vaccination at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park in Denver were given juice and water to quell the symptoms while two were transported to a nearby hospital, the Denver Post reported. In North Carolina, 18 people experienced symptoms of dizziness, nausea or faintness after receiving J&J vaccines at the PNC Arena on Thursday, and four of of that group were taken to the hospital, according to WECT 6 News in Wilmington, N.C.
However, the CDC has found no safety issues with the vaccine and recommended sites continue to issue the shot. CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund said the agency is aware of adverse reactions and has performed vaccine lot analyses and “not found reasons for concern,” Fox 8 reported.
See: 5 Fascinating Facts About Pfizer
Find: 5 Things You Might Not Know About Moderna
Health officials in Georgia told Fox 8 that the reactions were “consistent with common reactions in adults being vaccinated with any vaccine.”
The company has also faced vaccine production problems at its Baltimore plant. However, the company’s well-diversified product portfolio keeps the stock in the buy range. Johnson & Johnson stock was up 0.07 points, or 0.04%, mid-morning on Monday.
More From GOBankingRates
This article originally appeared on GOBankingRates.com: Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Reactions Spark Site Shutdowns

View more on Yahoo Finance

Update privacy choices

Reactions

They still cuttin checks for the Baby Powder. I heard J&J's was supposed to be the safest because it didnt do anything to a person's DNA. Now I gotta talk to Moms cause she be at church like Covid aint een happen.

yeah the J&J shot is similar to the Russian one and that AstraZeneca one that was causing blood clot problems in Europe

they all use a modified virus method, so they might weaken over time as people develop a immunity to the vaccine itself

70% effective?

Lmaooooo. These niggas injecting baby oil? Keep that shit.

glad I got the Pfizer. 95% baby.