Welcome To aBlackWeb

Cops placed on leave after watching man drown

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy
69637_custom-ba95834286abb5ddbf8fdc693ec07846062ef8da-s1100-c50.jpg

Sean Bickings, 34

Three Tempe police officers who looked on as a man drowned in an Arizona lake late last month have been placed on "non-disciplinary paid administrative leave" as several law enforcement agencies investigate what happened.
According to city officials, officers responded to a call about a disturbance just after 5 a.m. outside the Tempe Center for the Arts, where they found Sean Bickings, 34, and his companion.
Officers were talking to an uncuffed Bickings — who officials described as an "unsheltered Tempe community member" — while they ran his and his companion's name through a database to check for outstanding warrants, authorities said.
It was then that Bickings climbed a metal fence, descended an embankment and began to swim in Tempe Town Lake, police body camera footage from one of the officers shows.
The footage cuts out before Bickings begins to struggle in the water, but the city provided a transcript of the video from there.
"I'm drowning," Bickings says.
An officer tells him to swim to a pylon, but Bickings says he can't.

Okay, I'm not jumping in after you," the officer responds.

"I can't touch. Oh God. Please help me. Help me," Bickings says moments later.

The Tempe Police Department is investigating Bickings' death, an inquiry that will also be reviewed by the Arizona Department of Public Safety. The Scottsdale Police Department is conducting a separate administrative review of how the police responded.

City Manager Andrew Ching and Police Chief Jeff Glover called the drowning a "tragedy." Police said Glover met with Bickings' mother on Wednesday.

Authorities say they plan to release additional portions of the body camera video this week from all three responding police officers. That footage will also be edited "due to its graphic, sensitive nature," they said.

Tempe Police and city officials say they are also reassessing their water response protocols, what equipment officers might need and the placement of rescue equipment at bodies of water.

said this in the other thread...

Is that not negligent homicide? Fuck administrative leave they need to be charged

Huh? Everybody cant swim and everybody aint a strong swimmer. Hell a few folks on here cant even swim.

Even if I can swim well, I’m not jumping in after a homeless guy who entered a lake of his own accord

No telling what his state of mind is, he could see your rescue attempt as an attack and try to fight you, fuck that…

I’d go look for some rope or something to toss to him tho

Then they should render aid in any way possible..which is you know.. their job...

including calling someone who can swim to assist if they cant instead of saying... "I'm not going to help you" while the dude drowns to death as they watch

Then they should render aid in any way possible..which is you know.. their job...

including calling someone who can swim to assist assist if they cant instead of saying... "I'm not going to help you" while the dude drowns to death as they watch
I dont think its agency that can be called and jump in water to help lol.

Render Aid and jumping in water to save a person is some extra different shit

including calling someone who can swim to assist assist if they cant instead of saying... "I'm not going to help you" while the dude drowns to death as they watch

He jumped in on his own man…play stupid games…

They may get in trouble for not at least trying to find something to toss to him and saying "I'm not going to help you"

It's possible the cops don't even know how to swim. Like I said before it can be dangerous. Drowning people will go full survival mode and drown you to save themselves

Although I find it odd they wouldn't have a simple flotational device in their trunk

I dont think its agency that can be called and jump in water to help lol.

Render Aid and jumping in water to save a person is some extra different shit

we were going off of the assumption and bail yall were shooting saying "what if they didnt know how to swim"

Ok... at the bare minimum call someone who knows how to swim to assist then instead of sitting there and watching someone drown to death.

I fully understand trying to save someone from drowning is dangerous... and yeah dude hopped into the water himself... that doesnt absolve the police from sitting there watching him drown to death while doing nothing.

I feel like yall looking at it from a perspective of a civilian and not someone whos job is to "serve and protect" people.

Cops having this typa laissez faire ass attitude is never good and im legit surprised yall lettin it rock in this case seeing as how many of yall shared in the outrage of cops sitting on the sidelines while children were killed.

Back