Welcome To aBlackWeb

'Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online debate

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
While making plans with a friend to meet up at a nearby bar, Smith received a picture of the questionable dress code posted in the front window of Murphy’s Law. He tells Yahoo Lifestyle that “it immediately struck a chord.” Although he wasn’t entirely sure what to think about it, he decided to call attention to it.

“I post a lot of stuff on Facebook, so I thought a few of my friends would chime in,” he says. “But what happened next I was not expecting.”

Nearly 200 comments later, Smith now realizes he wasn’t alone in his feelings about the restrictions against items such as straight-brim caps, hoodies, bandanas, white tees, and Timberland work boots. Multiple commenters said the list was a clear example of “prejudice.”

Code for no black people,” one person wrote. “Racist. Hands-down,” said another.Code for no black people,” one person wrote. “Racist. Hands-down,” said another.

Some defended the dress code, saying its possible the bar just wanted patrons “to show up in more classy attire.”

“Not that hard can get a whole outfit that looks good at Macy’s for like $80,” one commenter wrote.

But even those who don’t think these restrictions stem directly from racism are quick to point out that there have been issues with how the pub’s rules are enforced.

My problem isn’t the dress code. It’s the fact that Murphy’s Law only enforces the dress code for people of color,” someone pointed out. “I tried to go there a few years back and they denied me entrance because of my outfit but there was a group of white people that had on similar outfits like the one I had on.My problem isn’t the dress code. It’s the fact that Murphy’s Law only enforces the dress code for people of color,” someone pointed out. “I tried to go there a few years back and they denied me entrance because of my outfit but there was a group of white people that had on similar outfits like the one I had on.”

Smith says the response to his post is a clear indication that further action needs to take place.

picture is worth a thousand words,The comments streamed in. People were very passionate about it on either side of the spectrum. To me, the act of posting that dress code, without any prompting, and seeing the response which ensued, warrants a change.A picture is worth a thousand words,” he says. “The comments streamed in. People were very passionate about it on either side of the spectrum. To me, the act of posting that dress code, without any prompting, and seeing the response which ensued, warrants a change.”

As for the change that Smith wants to see happen, he thinks that establishments should start by having presenting their dress codes in a more welcoming matter.

I would like to see the fashion do’s rather than the fashion don’ts,” he suggests. “What do they want people to look like, rather than what do they not want them to look like. I’ve been getting inquiries of ‘Am I trying to get more black people into these clubs?’ I’m not,I just feel in this day and age you should not be able to post something with that type of negative undercurrent on the front of your pub.I would like to see the fashion do’s rather than the fashion don’ts,” he suggests. “What do they want people to look like, rather than what do they not want them to look like. I’ve been getting inquiries of ‘Am I trying to get more black people into these clubs?’ I’m not! I just feel in this day and age you should not be able to post something with that type of negative undercurrent on the front of your pub.”

Murphy’s Law Irish Pub didn’t respond to Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment. However, a statement about the dress code was posted on its Facebook page:

Just playing Cracka's advocate here, but is that really code for "No Black People?" Or is it an attempt to prevent a certain type of black people from coming (i.e., the ones they perceive to be a problem)? Let's be real, even black clubs do that to some degree. I can think of a few black clubs that had some fights or shootings that put them under fire, and they basically responded by instilling similar dress codes.

This is the problem with white people that they don't really understand. They have such a history for racism, it's hard to tell whether or not the shit they do is racist. I can definitely see this being a slick way of trying to keep blacks away. I can also see it as an effort to appeal to a "higher class" of customers. That isn't essentially a racial thing unless you think that all blacks are incapable of wearing anything but hats, white tees, and Timbos

obvious shit like this is done everywhere and its wrong and just lame in general

I just dont see the need to fuss over being let in "Murphy's Law IRISH pub" lol

take your money elsewhere, fuck em

Just playing Cracka's advocate here, but is that really code for "No Black People?" Or is it an attempt to prevent a certain type of black people from coming (i.e., the ones they perceive to be a problem)? Let's be real, even black clubs do that to some degree. I can think of a few black clubs that had some fights or shootings that put them under fire, and they basically responded by instilling similar dress codes.

This is the problem with white people that they don't really understand. They have such a history for racism, it's hard to tell whether or not the shit they do is racist. I can definitely see this being a slick way of trying to keep blacks away. I can also see it as an effort to appeal to a "higher class" of customers. That isn't essentially a racial thing unless you think that all blacks are incapable of wearing anything but hats, white tees, and Timbos

this is actually legit

some of the black or mixed places do this too, tryna keep the Nigga niggas out

and from a business owner aspect you should be able to do that without any outcry, no matter what kind of establishment you have

problem is the tone is already set in this country and in everybody's hearts.....its a part of everything and, unfortunately for some, has to be taken into consideration

Black clubs enforce their dress codes consistently upon all people from what I've seen. If this place isn't enforcing their dress code for certain types of white people as well then they are being racist.

The fuck they thought would happen going to an Irish pub anyway. Shouldn't have tried to go there in the first place.

This is one of the two joints thats been on my mind for a minute.. its appropriate here

Woven into the fabric, they can't stand us
Even in white tee's, blue jeans, and red bandannas

Black clubs enforce their dress codes consistently upon all people from what I've seen. If this place isn't enforcing their dress code for certain types of white people as well then they are being racist.

The fuck they thought would happen going to an Irish pub anyway. Shouldn't have tried to go there in the first place.

Cosign on both points.

If I was dude and actually cared, I would have at least checked around to see if blacks that followed the dress code had any problem or observed whether or not whites were subject to the same standards. All that said, I wouldn't have cared because I don't see the need to go to white social establishments. I don't mind going to spots where they are, but if they make up more than like 50% of the crowd, I can't see it being a fun place to be.

It's deeper than rap

I bet if 6 brothers walked up in button downs & slacks them crackas would move the goalposts

lot of these places have a capacity for "niggers"

lol we have that over here in the black clubs as well fam 'no hats no hoods' means a certain type of nig won't come along. I kno' plenty of people who don't go to black clubs that don't have that dress requirement on the flyer, especially the girls.

To be honest I don't have a problem with it.

What I don't like is when niggas come adherin' to the dress code and they start comin' up with excuses on the door, which has happened to me literally too many times to count.

Last edited:
lol we have that over here in the black clubs as well fam 'no hats no hoods' means a certain type of nig won't come along. I kno' plenty of people ho don't go to black clubs that don't have that dress requirement on the flyer, especially the girls.

To be honest I don't have a problem with it.

What I don't like is when niggas come adherin' to the dress code and they start comin' up with excuses on the door, which has happened to me literally too many times to count.

No lie, when I was in grad school in NC, I went to this party in durham. It was a no jeans and no sneakers/boots dress code. On the walk up to the party all you see is a buncha niggas standing around in street wear waiting for the let out even though the party was just beginning. I get in the party and there are like 100 females and 10 males. The shit was ridiculous.

This has been goin' on for the longest tho @ some white bars/clubs/lounges. It's their establishment so it's their rules so it's whatever. I don't know why a brotha would even want to subject himself to that, but that's on him/them.

I'm speculating, but I'm pretty sure a (particular) black person could abide by those people dress code and they would/could still find something wrong w/ that person's appearance (b/c it's not their type of ]black) It is what it is.

Personally idgaf about cacs codes because that ain't where I'm @ with it, but I do go out quite a bit from the bougie spots to a couple hood hole in the walls and I rather them have some kind of dress policy @ the bare minimum. If I see a nigga w/ a dingy white tee on, some Air Force 1's that look like they been in the Navy (water) and some Girbaud jeans on, I'm leaving b/c that nigga don't give a phuck bout life!

While making plans with a friend to meet up at a nearby bar, Smith received a picture of the questionable dress code posted in the front window of Murphy’s Law. He tells Yahoo Lifestyle that “it immediately struck a chord.” Although he wasn’t entirely sure what to think about it, he decided to call attention to it.

“I post a lot of stuff on Facebook, so I thought a few of my friends would chime in,” he says. “But what happened next I was not expecting.”

Nearly 200 comments later, Smith now realizes he wasn’t alone in his feelings about the restrictions against items such as straight-brim caps, hoodies, bandanas, white tees, and Timberland work boots. Multiple commenters said the list was a clear example of “prejudice.”

Code for no black people,” one person wrote. “Racist. Hands-down,” said another.Code for no black people,” one person wrote. “Racist. Hands-down,” said another.

Some defended the dress code, saying its possible the bar just wanted patrons “to show up in more classy attire.”

“Not that hard can get a whole outfit that looks good at Macy’s for like $80,” one commenter wrote.

But even those who don’t think these restrictions stem directly from racism are quick to point out that there have been issues with how the pub’s rules are enforced.

My problem isn’t the dress code. It’s the fact that Murphy’s Law only enforces the dress code for people of color,” someone pointed out. “I tried to go there a few years back and they denied me entrance because of my outfit but there was a group of white people that had on similar outfits like the one I had on.My problem isn’t the dress code. It’s the fact that Murphy’s Law only enforces the dress code for people of color,” someone pointed out. “I tried to go there a few years back and they denied me entrance because of my outfit but there was a group of white people that had on similar outfits like the one I had on.”

Smith says the response to his post is a clear indication that further action needs to take place.

picture is worth a thousand words,The comments streamed in. People were very passionate about it on either side of the spectrum. To me, the act of posting that dress code, without any prompting, and seeing the response which ensued, warrants a change.A picture is worth a thousand words,” he says. “The comments streamed in. People were very passionate about it on either side of the spectrum. To me, the act of posting that dress code, without any prompting, and seeing the response which ensued, warrants a change.”

As for the change that Smith wants to see happen, he thinks that establishments should start by having presenting their dress codes in a more welcoming matter.

I would like to see the fashion do’s rather than the fashion don’ts,” he suggests. “What do they want people to look like, rather than what do they not want them to look like. I’ve been getting inquiries of ‘Am I trying to get more black people into these clubs?’ I’m not,I just feel in this day and age you should not be able to post something with that type of negative undercurrent on the front of your pub.I would like to see the fashion do’s rather than the fashion don’ts,” he suggests. “What do they want people to look like, rather than what do they not want them to look like. I’ve been getting inquiries of ‘Am I trying to get more black people into these clubs?’ I’m not! I just feel in this day and age you should not be able to post something with that type of negative undercurrent on the front of your pub.”

Murphy’s Law Irish Pub didn’t respond to Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment. However, a statement about the dress code was posted on its Facebook page:

Hate this shit. Like i cant dress nice and still shoot up the club or fight.

I rather them have some kind of dress policy @ the bare minimum.

If I see a nigga w/ a dingy white tee on, some Air Force 1's that look like they been in the Navy (water) and some Girbaud jeans on I'm leaving b/c that nigga don't give a phuck bout life!

Russell Westbrook laughing.gif

Hate this shit. Like i cant dress nice and still shoot up the club or fight.

lol So we really going to act clubs with dress codes aren't less likely to be shot up. I've been at my share of clubs that have gotten shot up or had brawls inside. None of them were the "dress code" variety. Call it what you want, but on average, the niggas that go to the club just to start shit ain't putting on khakis and button down shirts.

There used to be a popular club on the south side of Chicago called Secrets. A definitively black nightclub. All the stars came out there from Trey Songz to Nicki Minaj.

They had a dress code of no white tees, ball caps, or sneakers (male or female) and it was always fun to be had. The women would actually dance on you and the guys were acting like gentlemen. As soon as they got rid of the dress code, it immediately went to shit. Fights, guns, dumb shit and it closed down.

Yeah the owner of a club I used to manage back in the day tried that shit and I flipped it and went even harder at the white kids. No sandals or flip flops. No over-ripped jeans or t-shirts. No ed-hardy. Anything I could reject a white boy for I did.

It actually resulted in a good looking crowd and less bullshit.

Yeah the owner of a club I used to manage back in the day tried that shit and I flipped it and went even harder at the white kids. No sandals or flip flops. No over-ripped jeans or t-shirts. No ed-hardy. Anything I could reject a white boy for I did.

It actually resulted in a good looking crowd and less bullshit.

lmao

:ghost:

"you....shorts and a button down?......fuckouttahere"

Back