Poll Classic Album Criteria?

Which Criteria Makes A Classic Album?

• Criteria #1 (High Quality Album)

• Criteria #2 (High Quality Album + Impactful and Influential)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goldie

and Baka's got a weird case, why is he around??
Site Owner
Jan 14, 2017
The Burbs
Criteria #1. A high quality album that is playable from front to back and has lasting quality.

Criteria #2. Same as #1, but is also impactful and influential.

Last edited:
Chose Criteria 1 but criteria 2 isn't really wrong cause an album can be impactful & influential to me & my ear. But high quality is high quality regardless of impact & influence.

• Ether
Reactions: Goldie
Criteria 2 makes sense tho I know there’s some special exceptions to this rule. I consider Paid in Full a classic but it’s more on influence than the quality.

#2, cause hip-hop is bout the culture. does it influence or shape the culture in any way, shape or form? is it relatable? if it sounds good sonically, lyrically, and has replay value. a classic will speak for itself. i feel like a classic album expands further than the album.

If criteria one applies criteria 2 will happen in time.

The problem nowadays is songs are shorter and singles are preferred over albums.

I would be curious to see how gen z and alpha describe a classic for anything released after 2015.

I think there's tiers to classics.
Like doggy style and illmatic are 2 different kinda classics

Option 2 with two catches: it has the power to capture new audiences and holds up years later.

Doggystyle and The Chronic are classics because they're high quality, influential, AND captured new audiences. My mom, for example, was not a fan of rap when I was coming up. I could listen but she would tune it out or tell me to turn it down However, when Ain't Nuthin But a G Thang dropped, she became a fan and branched out into 2Pac and other West Coast rap on her own off the strength of that one album.

Fast forward, they both still get bump and you got kids 18 or 19 rapping it along with 70+ year olds. That's classic to me.

• Goat
Reactions: onetoughmiracle
by both criteria’s Playboi Carti “DIE LIT” is a classic album because it birthed a whole new generation rappers which is the weirdo black emo shit and is seen as high quality by gen Z But ok…
Lol this post is not far off when I speak to the students at work they would die on the hill Tyler the creator has about 3 classics.

• Ether
Reactions: E-MAN
Lol this post is not far off when I speak to the students at work they would die on the hill Tyler the creator has about 3 classics.

Yea I’ve heard it from the youngins but the grandpas on here don’t understand that to the new generation thats classics but they wanna live like it’s still the 90s the shit they grew up on is trash to these kids.

Yea I’ve heard it from the youngins but the grandpas on here don’t understand that to the new generation thats classics but they wanna live like it’s still the 90s the shit they grew up on is trash to these kids.
It breaks my heart to agree with this.

20 years ago, id say criteria 2.

Now though, idk. Cause I feel like shit moves too fast. Like what album came out in the last 2-3 years thats still being listened to and talked about as game changing/influential?

I might be feeling like this because I'm washed up. Idk. Yall let me know if im buggin

I'll add "lasting quality" to both criteria 1 and 2.

But it looks like the main disagreement is whether or not it needs to be impactful and influential. I think we all agree that it should still sound good years later.