Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Classic Album Criteria?

Which Criteria Makes A Classic Album?

• Criteria #1 (High Quality Album)

• Criteria #2 (High Quality Album + Impactful and Influential)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lol this post is not far off when I speak to the students at work they would die on the hill Tyler the creator has about 3 classics.

I think a classic also needs to be musically talented and high quality album too... Well delivered verbally, well produced, well written etc

Sh!t man youre right too with your quote too though... Todays fastfood culture of fast news, fast music and fast trends etc is making me realised how washed Im getting lol

Just thinking it over abit more... An attribute that may one album a classic, for instance making a cultural or social impact (Straight Outta Compton, The Chronic, It Takes A Nation or College Dropout etc) doesnt mean another all other classics albums have to have that same attribute and impact...

Another album may be a classic for instance just off the strength of an artist/artist making a shift in their style and showing growth, so maybe not making a cultural impact but by them drastically changing up their style (i.e Jay Z's grown man rap) is an attribute to making an album a classic and stick out (if its well received)...

So I dont think a classic album has to tick every box...

by both criteria’s Playboi Carti “DIE LIT” is a classic album because it birthed a whole new generation rappers which is the weirdo black emo shit and is seen as high quality by gen Z But ok…
Lol my cousin just sent me this and said playboi murdered it

by both criteria’s Playboi Carti “DIE LIT” is a classic album because it birthed a whole new generation rappers which is the weirdo black emo shit and is seen as high quality by gen Z But ok…

Exactly why that impact & influence is tricky. Cause Carti is trash. I'm not letting little niggas or anyone sway my opinion cause they love something. If it's trash to me, then it's trash. Im Not calling shit a classic cause people say it is

Last edited:
This is why I never subscribed to the “it can’t have any skips” criteria, cuz there’s always gonna be at least 1 song somebody doesn’t like on an album

DJ Clark Kent ain't even in the discussion of Top 5 or 10 GOAT producers. This the same dude that said he had a Jay-Z track from '96 dissing 2 Pac that was never released. Dude really made himself look bad saying that The Chronic wasn't a classic.

It has to be impactful and influential in order to be a classic. If it doesn’t define a moment in time or redefine what something is I can’t call it a classic

I believe the main issue is that people judge classics by their “personal tastes”. Music is subjective but oftentimes when something is a classic you can’t deny the impact it’s made on the genre or sub-genre

For example….I DONT like Future’s music…but “Same Damn Time” and “March Madness” are classics in its genre despite how I may feel about it

Eminem has several albums that were considered classics at the time they were released (SSLP, MMLP. The Eminem Show) but in hindsight, does anybody still listen to these albums?

Eminem has several albums that were considered classics at the time they were released (SSLP, MMLP. The Eminem Show) but in hindsight, does anybody still listen to these albums?

I don’t remember anyone saying those albums were classics at all at the time they dropped. Around the end of the 2000s I remember that was when the talk that MMLP was a classic started. For me that’s his only classic with SSLP being a close second.

Back