Welcome To aBlackWeb

Can we kill the myth of body language?

Could u notice a difference with these 2 people?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

i see you photos and
i will raise you
trump-1985-apartment-AD_06.jpg

this nigga projected success and domination of hand shakes and walks tall.

where did that get us?

is he a good business man?

is this nigga even a billionaire?

Like is said some of these folk train it.. and people are susceptible to being receptive to the image projected.. instead of diving deeper

Last edited:
The effective use of body language plays a key role in effective leadership communication. From “The Silent Language of Leaders: How Body Language Can Help – or Hurt – How You Lead,” here are ten tips I’ve learned during the past two decades of coaching leaders and their teams around the world:

1) To boost your confidence, assume a power pose

Research at Harvard and Columbia Business Schools shows that simply holding your body in expansive, "high-power" poses (leaning back with hands behind the head and feet up on a desk, or standing with legs and arms stretched wide open) for as little as two minutes stimulates higher levels of testosterone -- the hormone linked to power and dominance -- and lower levels of cortisol, a stress hormone.

Try this when you’re feeling tentative but want to appear confident. In addition to causing hormonal shifts in both males and females, these poses lead to increased feelings of power and a higher tolerance for risk. The study also found that people are more often influenced by how they feel about you than by what you're saying.

2) To increase participation, look like you’re listening

If you want people to speak up, don’t multi-task while they do. Avoid the temptation to check your text messages, check your watch, or check out how the other participants are reacting. Instead, focus on those who are speaking by turning your head and torso to face them directly and by making eye contact. Leaning forward, nodding and tilting your head are other nonverbal way to show you’re engaged and paying attention. It’s important to hear people. It’s just as important to make sure they know you are listening.

3) To encourage collaboration, remove barriers

Physical obstructions are especially detrimental to collaborative efforts. Take away anything that blocks your view or forms a barrier between you and the rest of the team. Even at a coffee break, be aware that you may create a barrier by holding your cup and saucer in a way that seems deliberately to block your body or distance you from others. A senior executive told me he could evaluate his team’s comfort by how high they held their coffee cups. It was his observation that the more insecure individuals felt, the higher they held their coffee. People with their hands held at waist level were more comfortable than those with hands chest high.

4) To connect instantly with someone, shake hands

Touch is the most primitive and powerful nonverbal cue. Touching someone on the arm, hand, or shoulder for as little as 1/40 of a second creates a human bond. In the workplace, physical touch and warmth are established through the handshaking tradition, and this tactile contact makes a lasting and positive impression. A study on handshakes by the Income Center for Trade Shows showed that people are two times more likely to remember you if you shake hands with them. The trade-show researchers also found that people react to those with whom they shake hands by being more open and friendly.

5) To stimulate good feelings, smile

A genuine smile not only stimulates your own sense of well-being, it also tells those around you that you are approachable, cooperative, and trustworthy. A genuine smile comes on slowly, crinkles the eyes, lights up the face, and fades away slowly. Most importantly, smiling directly influences how other people respond to you. When you smile at someone, they almost always smile in return. And, because facial expressions trigger corresponding feelings, the smile you get back actually changes that person’s emotional state in a positive way.

6) To show agreement, mirror expressions and postures

When clients or business colleagues unconsciously imitate your body language, it’s their way of nonverbally saying that they like or agree with you. When you mirror other people with intent, it can be an important part of building rapport and nurturing feelings of mutuality. Mirroring starts by observing a person’s facial and body gestures and then subtly letting your body take on similar expressions and postures. Doing so will make the other person feel understood and accepted.

7) To improve your speech, use your hands

Brain imaging has shown that a region called Broca’s area, which is important for speech production, is active not only when we’re talking, but when we wave our hands. Since gesture is integrally linked to speech, gesturing as we talk can actually power up our thinking.

Whenever I encourage executives to incorporate gestures into their deliveries, I consistently find that their verbal content improves. Experiment with this and you’ll find that the physical act of gesturing helps you form clearer thoughts and speak in tighter sentences with more declarative language.

8) If you want to know the truth, watch people’s feet

When people try to control their body language, they focus primarily on facial expressions, body postures and hand/arm gestures. And since the legs and feet are left unrehearsed, they are also where the truth can most often be found. Under stress, people will often display nervousness and anxiety through increased foot movements. Feet will fidget, shuffle and wind around each other or around the furniture. Feet will stretch and curl to relieve tension, or even kick out in a miniaturized attempt to run away. Studies show that observers have greater success judging a person’s real emotional state when they can see the entire body. You may not know it, but instinctively you’ve been reacting to foot gestures all your life.

9) To sound authoritative, keep your voice down

Before a speech or important telephone call, allow your voice to relax into its optimal pitch (a technique I learned from a speech therapist) by keeping your lips together and making the sounds “um hum, um hum, um hum.” And if you are a female, watch that your voice doesn’t rise at the ends of sentences as if you are asking a question or seeking approval. Instead, when stating your opinion, use the authoritative arc, in which your voice starts on one note, rises in pitch through the sentence and drops back down at the end.

10) To improve your memory, uncross your arms and legs

Body language researchers Allan and Barbara Pease, report a fascinating finding from one of their studies: When a group of volunteers attended a lecture and sat with unfolded arms and legs, they remembered 38 percent more than a group that attended the same lecture and sat with folded arms and legs. To improve your retention, uncross your arms and legs. And if you see your audience exhibiting defensive body language, change tactics, take a break, get them to move -- and don’t try to persuade them until their bodies open up.

whoa-nigga-do-you-really-expect-me-to-read-all-1005531.png

it’s as real as we make it, are diamonds priceless? Nah but we make em that way

Is beauty universal, nah but we try to make it that way

Body language is real. It’s not a myth.

You can tell a lot from body language.
so tell me how?

can you tell a dude is a good dude by how he walks?
does a firm handshake mean confident? or does it mean a person masturbates too much?

I'm gonna try to be one of those distinguished ppl that make a point by telling a quick story first...

When I was in hs and played powderpuff football (where the girls played and the guys were cheerleaders for a game), they had some of the actual football players as our coaches...their head coach was just there to oversee everything.

So one day at practice one of our "coaches" drew up a trick play and we went over it for like 20 mins. Head coach sees us and comes over and is like "why are you making em do trick plays? The other team wouldn't even know they're being tricked"

I say that to say.....body language is one of those things that only works if the person/people you're projecting to understand or care about the meaning of what you're tryna get across. Eye contact and a firm handshake believe it or not doesn't mean shit to a lot people. You think Zuckerberg, the nigga that wears sweats and flip flops to meetings, cares? A lot of these millennial tech startup geeks are the same way.

It's accurate in the sense that most people have already bought into it so it's real to them.

But yeah it's bullshit. For years I used to look down while speaking. Not because I was ashamed or intimidated, but because I could focus more on my thoughts as opposed to the face of the person I'm talking to.

Only reason I taught myself to stop was because lesser people thought shit was sweet. So because of the myth of body language, I look at people in the eye to dispell whatever they might project onto me.

But honestly, staring at someone while talking is fucking weird. Most people can look you in the eyes nonstop if theyre just listening but will frequently break eye contact while talking.

Then you got smart dumb niggas like 50 Cent who think putting their arm on someone's shoulder is a sign of dominance.

getmoney2.jpg
50-Cent-Raul-TS.jpg
images

iw8zd.jpg
50_jay.jpg

so tell me how?

can you tell a dude is a good dude by how he walks?
does a firm handshake mean confident? or does it mean a person masturbates too much?
That’s why you don’t see what I see. You’re trying to see too deep into it. You can’t tell if someone is a good man because he walks with his head held high. You can tell he has some confidence or is feeling proud though.

Classic example that I’m sure every man has experienced and every woman has done:

Woman laying in the bed with her dude and she sticking her ass out so that it can touch dude. Why do we do that? Her body language is suggesting what?

Woman laying in the bed and she’s damn near at the edge of the bed and facing away from her dude. Her body suggests what?

Watching a tv show and I’m leaning in towards the tv. My body language is suggesting that I’m into the tv show.

Body language is real.

It's accurate in the sense that most people have already bought into it so it's real to them.

But yeah it's bullshit. For years I used to look down while speaking. Not because I was ashamed or intimidated, but because I could focus more on my thoughts as opposed to the face of the person I'm talking to.

Only reason I taught myself to stop was because lesser people thought shit was sweet. So because of the myth of body language, I look at people in the eye to dispell whatever they might project onto me.

But honestly, staring at someone while talking is fucking weird. Most people can look you in the eyes nonstop if theyre just listening but will frequently break eye contact while talking.
I'm gonna try to be one of those distinguished ppl that make a point by telling a quick story first...

When I was in hs and played powderpuff football (where the girls played and the guys were cheerleaders for a game), they had some of the actual football players as our coaches...their head coach was just there to oversee everything.

So one day at practice one of our "coaches" drew up a trick play and we went over it for like 20 mins. Head coach sees us and comes over and is like "why are you making em do trick plays? The other team wouldn't even know they're being tricked"

I say that to say.....body language is one of those things that only works if the person/people you're projecting to understand or care about the meaning of what you're tryna get across. Eye contact and a firm handshake believe it or not doesn't mean shit to a lot people. You think Zuckerberg, the nigga that wears sweats and flip flops to meetings, cares? A lot of these millennial tech startup geeks are the same way.

"riight"

That’s why you don’t see what I see. You’re trying to see too deep into it. You can’t tell if someone is a good man because he walks with his head held high. You can tell he has some confidence or is feeling proud though.

Classic example that I’m sure every man has experienced and every woman has done:

Woman laying in the bed with her dude and she sticking her ass out so that it can touch dude. Why do we do that? Her body language is suggesting what?

Woman laying in the bed and she’s damn near at the edge of the bed and facing away from her dude. Her body suggests what?

Watching a tv show and I’m leaning in towards the tv. My body language is suggesting that I’m into the tv show.

Body language is real.
that is made to be obvious tho...and you can make it appear a way thats its really not.

just because you seem a certain way doesnt mean anything...

wifey sticking her butt out also means she wants to cuddle....
being on the edge of the bed might mean i need a shower or shes upset or sick.

everything aint what it seems

that is made to be obvious tho...and you can make it appear a way thats its really not.

just because you seem a certain way doesnt mean anything...

wifey sticking her butt out also means she wants to cuddle....
being on the edge of the bed might mean i need a shower or shes upset or sick.

everything aint what it seems
You just proved my point. Her body language suggested something. Period. Therefore it’s real.

You just proved my point. Her body language suggested something. Period. Therefore it’s real.
it not about if its real....its about if you can properly read it.

like in the OP certain things means certain things.

a power pose looks more confident. does it really? maybe a nigga got good posture.

bottom is...people will see what they want .....nothing is concrete across the board for everyone.
a deep voice means nothing but you got a deep voice.

if someone really takes a bunch of time to try to read someone to see if they are weak or confident or something...what does that really say about the person?

Guilty of not reading the OP. I do believe certain body languages suggest things. It may not always apply to every person.

You can’t know a person from body language

Guilty of not reading the OP. I do believe certain body languages suggest things. It may not always apply to every person.

You can’t know a person from body language
this is all i was getting at.....

Interesting read but to me it all comes down to spirit and the vibe you give off, I could go into a room and do every bad body language act that makes me look weak and still give off the impression I am strong, my feet could twitch and shake but you look in my eyes and you will get the picture, just look at Mike Tyson for example if you didn't know who he was and you heard his voice talking shit on the phone you would be laughing at him with no fucks given, then he knocks on the door and fucks you up!

I find handshakes interesting (i can’t stand weak handshakes) but I see them as a like a mini battle/mental game...

I learnt if you offer a hand shake (like many religious leaders do) with your hand facing up and low, its like an offering of peace and welcoming, a symbol of peace and an offer to squashing disagreements (i guess its kinda obvious really)…

And also if you shake someones hand, and then they go one extra and put a hand on your shoulder or arm, I find its generally a show of confidence or power by them, if someone does that to me I then counter by tapping or holding onto their shoulder/arm or something, its like a mini passive aggressive game haha if you watch Trump or other leaders you will probably see them doing this move…

Holding onto a handshake extra long (so you cant pull your hand away) is a of move I dont like, its seems a dominating move, if someone does that to me, I play the game of grabbing their shoulder and keep eye contact, like I see what your doing and raise you one, Im not intimidated haha

There are various other handshake techniques, but tbh most things are natural… I think using your hands whilst talking as gestures of what your talking about or trying to explain makes what your saying more convincing too, and shows confidence...

I think mental belief is important too as that kind of radiates to your body language, like if you really think you cant achieve or negotiate something etc I find that translates to your face and body, I then think all the body language techniques and strutting around cant hide that insecurity and lack of confidence...

An example is Michael Spinks when he fought Tyson, he looked petrified when he got in the ring after his ring walk, but he still tried to strut across the ring like he was confident, Mike looked like a hitman on a business trip and looked passed that bullschitt, his energy was I like know your scared Michael, Im here to do my job, and he did lol I think Spinks retried after that...

Back