Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Bodycam Footage of Tyreek Hill's Arrest

test
You ever watch the show Live PD or any other police shows? This is how they handle these scenarios 10 times out of 10.

I’m not saying it was right at all, I’m just saying the debate should be about how standard protocol is the problem instead of just scapegoating one officer. That won’t actually change anything.

But the problem in this case was clearly that officer. You're claiming it was standard protocol, but none of the other officers reacted that way. They were trying to talk and reason with people. It wasn't just with Tyreek. It was with the onlookers too. Other cops were trying to be somewhat diplomatic, and he kept jumping in and escalating shit. So either, all the other cops didn't understand that roughing up people who are mildly uncooperative and detaining innocent bystanders who don't jump as fast as the cops say is standard protocol or that one officer was over-the-top and deserves to be put on timeout.

Nothing ever changes because it’s so embarrassingly easy to distract the masses from the root of a given problem

But the problem in this case was clearly that officer. You're claiming it was standard protocol, but none of the other officers reacted that way. They were trying to talk and reason with people. It wasn't just with Tyreek. It was with the onlookers too. Other cops were trying to be somewhat diplomatic, and he kept jumping in and escalating shit. So either, all the other cops didn't understand that roughing up people who are mildly uncooperative and detaining innocent bystanders who don't jump as fast as the cops say is standard protocol or that one officer was over-the-top and deserves to be put on timeout.
Well it only takes one officer to do what he did…they supposed to jump him? They were there to jump in if he lost control.

Well it only takes one officer to do what he did…they supposed to jump him? They were there to jump in if he lost control.

I don't understand what you mean. Both with Tyreek and the bystander, the other officers were already handling it. He just got pissed and escalated the situations because he didn't like the fact that Tyreek and the other guy didn't move as fast as he believed they should. The point is they didn't need any officer to do what he did. Had he not been there, it might have taken longer to resolve the situation, but it probably wouldn't have gone the path it did. You seem to believe that what happened was the only way to handle that situation, and that's not true. Police encounter uncooperative drives all the time without it going to that extent.

I don't understand what you mean. Both with Tyreek and the bystander, the other officers were already handling it. He just got pissed and escalated the situations because he didn't like the fact that Tyreek and the other guy didn't move as fast as he believed they should. The point is they didn't need any officer to do what he did. Had he not been there, it might have taken longer to resolve the situation, but it probably wouldn't have gone the path it did. You seem to believe that what happened was the only way to handle that situation, and that's not true. Police encounter uncooperative drives all the time without it going to that extent.
He was what they consider hostile when he refused a command and rolled up the window, they are trained to meet hostility with aggression. You are basically saying the one officer alone followed his training.

This happened to dozens of non-celebrities yesterday, and will happen to dozens more today.

By all means punish the one officer but don’t forget to widen the lens.

He was what they consider hostile when he refused a command and rolled up the window, they are trained to meet hostility with aggression. You are basically saying the one officer alone followed his training.

This happened to dozens of non-celebrities yesterday, and will happen to dozens more today.

By all means punish the one officer but don’t forget to widen the lens.

If your argument is that police training and policy should be re-examined and revised, most people agree with you.

If you're claiming that the way they handle this situation is what's in their formal policy, I don't know if that's true or not. Just because you watch a TV and its common practice for the police to react this way doesn't mean that's what they are supposed to be doing. In the NBA, the players travel damn near every time they touch the ball. The actual official rules are clear that what they are doing is traveling. The refs just don't all it anymore. This dude was put on administrative leave, which leads me to believe that his actions weren't in-line with official policy. It just took this high profile to put a spotlight on his actions and force his superiors to hold him accountable.

If your argument is that police training and policy should be re-examined and revised, most people agree with you.

If you're claiming that the way they handle this situation is what's in their formal policy, I don't know if that's true or not. Just because you watch a TV and its common practice for the police to react this way doesn't mean that's what they are supposed to be doing. In the NBA, the players travel damn near every time they touch the ball. The actual official rules are clear that what they are doing is traveling. The refs just don't all it anymore. This dude was put on administrative leave, which leads me to believe that his actions weren't in-line with official policy. It just took this high profile to put a spotlight on his actions and force his superiors to hold him accountable.
I’m just aggravated that this kind of thing has happened so frequently that we now skip the part where broader police practices are examined.

I’m just aggravated that this kind of thing has happened so frequently that we now skip the part where broader police practices are examined.

I don't think we skip. I just think most people are so disenfranchised with the police that they don't think that addressing the policies will work. People have long brought up that policies and training need to be fixed, and you'll see a lot of others that say fixing those things won't matter. Of course, I believe they are wrong, but that is the reason you hardly ever hear discussion about policies in the reaction to these events.

I don't think we skip. I just think most people are so disenfranchised with the police that they don't think that addressing the policies will work. People have long brought up that policies and training need to be fixed, and you'll see a lot of others that say fixing those things won't matter. Of course, I believe they are wrong, but that is the reason you hardly ever hear discussion about policies in the reaction to these events.
I agree, nothing changed so we collectively gave up

I agree, nothing changed so we collectively gave up

Seems like some black people are good at that. You got people in the reparations thread basically fighting for the right to give up because they hit a roadblock. It's a good think they weren't around during the abolitionist meeting, or we'd still be slaves.

Back