Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black Excellence baby, we gon let em see...

1648576985459.png

Black Georgia Teenager Accepted to Almost 50 Colleges and Receives $1 Million in Scholarships
The high school senior has decided to attend Tuskegee University.

Makenzie Thompson, a Georgia high school senior, has been accepted to attend 49 colleges and has received more than $1.3 million in scholarship offers. But she did not originally plan to apply to over 50 universities, according to CNN.

The 18-year-old decided after attending multiple college fairs and receiving fee waivers for multiple college applications that she would go ahead and apply to 51 schools. Out of those 51, she’s been accepted to 49 of them and is waiting to hear back from another.

Thompson is the senior class president at Westlake High School in Atlanta (the alma mater of NFL quarterback Cam Newton), the captain of the dance team, the vice president of the Beta Club, the manager of the baseball team, a member of the national honor society and of the honor society of dance and arts, according to CNN.

With goals of becoming a veterinarian and a plethora of schools to choose from, Thompson has opted to attend Tuskegee Unversity, an HBCU in Alabama, where she plans to major in animal science. Thompson says she grew up with a house full of dogs, guinea pigs, and fish, according to CNN. She chose Tuskegee because of its strong history of educating successful Black veterinarians.

1651154168287.png

(WXYZ) — "We're a community. We're in love with our city and we want to share that love with everyone else," said Roderica James, co-owner of The Cochrane House Luxury Inn Detroit.

You could say sisters Francina and Roderica James are the hostesses with the mostest.

"It's funny because people come back, they come back several times and we're like, 'oh, you're family,'" said Roderica.

Together, Roderica and Francina own The Cochrane House, a luxury bed and breakfast in Brush Park, just north of Downtown Detroit

But the journey to their dream inn took work, especially because they had to remodel a 19th century mansion.

1651154273042.png

"It was built in 1870, so the building is 152 years old, so construction was scary," said Roderica. "The journey was so long and it became one of those things where, well, I guess this is what we're meant to do, because we never quit."

Their perseverance and Roderica’s love of design gave way to a cozy space with eye-catching art pieces, a hub where guests can stay to enjoy the city.

"We meet so many great people and then we're always so excited when they actually love us, too," said Francina.

1651154334528.png

From homemade bath salts to a thoughtful breakfast every morning, the sisters are focused on the details.

"The definition of luxury probably is the personal touch and the love that we put into our place," said Roderica.

Their interest in entrepreneurship was inspired by their mother, who passed away just a year after they opened their doors.

"She helped us put a lot of this together," said Roderica. "It helped her to to lay to rest peacefully, because she knew, I think at that point, when she was gone, we were able to take care of each other."

And it’s that sisterly bond that really makes The Cochrane House shine.

1651154393901.png

"I love my sister, but I like my sister, right? And that matters. So that's the thing ... that's why it's such a great working relationship, because we have those things in common ... that we feel for each other," said Francina.

Roderica added, "we're actually best friends. We've been this way our entire life."

They're best friends working toward a common goal of fostering love for the Motor City.

"Even people that come through our door, that's never been here before, we want them to leave Detroit and love Detroit. And I think that if we can do that, we've done our job," said Roderica.

The pair says when you go to a hotel, no one really gets to know you, but at The Cochrane House, there’s that special connection.

Roderica and Francina say they offer special promotions and discounts to their subscribers to help people experience their bed and breakfast. So if you want to keep up with the latest coming out of The Cochrane House, you can sign up and find out more at thecochranehouse.com.

A group of Black women recently made history at the Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Kentucky when their precious horse “Seven Scents” scored first place during the competition.

The lucky women, who are the first African American female syndicate of horse owners from Living The Dream, a black-owned horse stable, hope that their big victory will spark more minority ownership throughout the centuries-old sport.

“The first jockey to win the Kentucky Derby was an African American male. We’re in 2022 right now and we don’t see a lot of us,” another horse owner named Coya Robison told the news outlet. Robinson was referencing the legacy of Oliver Lewis, the African American jockey who won the first Kentucky Derby on May 17, 1875. Lewis set an American record too, whizzing through the half-a-mile race in nearly two minutes, according to KY.gov.

Additionally, Daniels said she hopes the win shines a light on the forgotten Black history surrounding the 148-year-old event.

“Us specifically, we’re following in the footsteps of Eliza Carpenter, who was a slave who became a horse owner and an actual jockey.”

Eliza Carpenter, also known as “Aunt Eliza,” gained her freedom at the end of the Civil War and traveled to Madisonville, Kentucky where she learned how to purchase, train and ride horses. Eventually, Carpenter learned so much about the thoroughbred industry that she opened up her own stable in Ponca City, Oklahoma, where she competed in a few races and even won
, according to the Notable Kentucky African Americans Database.

Robinson was inspired to join the group of bustling Black women horse owners as a part of her mission to place emphasis on representation in the industry.

Earlier this month, Kentucky’s Ed Brown Society, which mentors minority college students about the ins and outs of the horse industry, announced a huge partnership with Churchill Downs aimed at achieving more diversity in the thoroughbred space. The famous horse racing complex made a $50,000 donation to the organization to join in on their efforts of achieving inclusivity within the industry.

The program is named in honor of another famous African American horseman named Ed Brown, who was born as a slave but rose to become a Belmont Stakes-winning jockey and a Kentucky Derby-winning horse trainer during the last decade of the 19th century.

image0_200x200.png

More than Peach was born in spring 2019 out of the pressing need to grow perspectives. Whose idea was this and how did the crayons get their names? Meet bright-light Bellen Woodard, Mensan, ballet dancer, professional model, and now 11 year old kid!

Once upon a time and for many years, a single crayon was named and called “flesh" and more recently "the skin-color" crayon. That was until then 8-year old Bellen managed to change the language with an
empathetic response with each child in mind! She developed both an innovative new product AND a solution to increase representation and access and has now gone on to transform an entire industry as CEO of More than Peach! But there's still much work to do.

Bellen created More than Peach—a revolutionizing & innovative art brand of "many beautiful colors" to celebrate kid brilliance and to “really, actually” grow spaces.

Engineered & inspired by a child’s compassion and wisdom, see how More than Peach crayons and brand embody authenticity and inspire like no other. See the products pages to learn more!

NOW ALSO AVAILABLE AT TARGET.COM!!

1660068973117.png

Woodard said she hopes her project inspires other kids to follow their own passions and ideas, and teaches parents to embolden their children.

"For adults, I hope they can trust the kids and just listen to them. Kids can be right. We have great ideas," she said. "Always make sure to invest in their ideas and make sure to play a big role in helping them because I know my parents and brothers have helped me, and my teachers too, and I'm here now."

More than Peach®
is making an inspiringly positive impact in classrooms everywhere. A kind pioneer (and inspiration to many), Bellen single-handedly pioneered this never-before-seen mission and values most that kids hold a More than Peach art product and instantly know the power of "KIDHOOD!" Created for all kids...by a kid to change the world…one crayon at time!

That’s amazing especially coming out of the East. That’s my area too.
What makes it so amazing?
Are black people not capable of great things even in the east?

We should change how we see each other without the extra.

I know your meant nothing by it…just sound kinda crazy

What makes it so amazing?
Are black people not capable of great things even in the east?

We should change how we see each other without the extra.

I know your meant nothing by it…just sound kinda crazy
Stop with this bullshit.

It’s a terrible part of a city that a lot of folks glorying the wrong shit.

So yes, it’s amazing considering what part of the city the kids come from and all the TERRIBLE INFLUENCES that surround them at every turn

Stop with this bullshit.

It’s a terrible part of a city that a lot of folks glorying the wrong shit.

So yes, it’s amazing considering what part of the city the kids come from and all the TERRIBLE INFLUENCES that surround them at every turn
Interesting.

Back