Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black Excellence baby, we gon let em see...

28150930_412853929136172_6425771069138796544_n.jpg

clear.gif

Published February 21, 2018
Defiant ESPN star Jemele Hill on claim Trump is a white supremacist: 'I still stand by what I said'
By Brian Flood | Fox News
694940094001_5621725142001_5621717327001-vs.jpg

Jemele Hill: I deserved a suspension

Suspended ESPN host speaks out.

ESPN’s outspoken anti-Trump personality Jemele Hill appeared on ABC News’ “The View” Wednesday to double down on her infamous tweet in which she called President Trump a “white supremacist,” saying she stands by her comment.

“I probably did what you shouldn’t do when you feel emotional, a little angry, which is go to Twitter. And I got into a dialogue… obviously everybody has seen the tweets, you know what I said,” Hill said. “I did not expect in that moment that it was going to become what it became... it leads to the president personally calling me out.”

Hill told the panel on “The View” that she stands by what she said, but she doesn’t think “his supporters are white supremacists” as a whole.

“What I would say, though, is that they have the benefit of privilege to be able to distance and dissociate themselves from certain issues. Me, as a woman of color, I feel vulnerable to certain behaviors, certain policies and certain things that he’s said and done,” Hill said.

1519233747377.jpg

Jemele Hill appeared on ABC News’ “The View” Wednesday to double down on her infamous tweet in which she called President Trump a “white supremacist,” saying she stands by her comment. (ABC)

The ESPN star said that the feeling of vulnerability contributed to her controversial tweet and said that it’s probably hard to understand her position if you’re not in her situation. Hill then asked Trump supporters to understand that her perspective is coming from a place of vulnerability.

“In this time, and in this moment, it feels like people of color are under attack,” Hill said.

Continue Reading Below

Co-host Meghan McCain then asked Hill if she would consider Ben Carson a white supremacist, referring to past comments by the ESPN star that Trump surrounds himself with white supremacists.

“I wouldn’t… I wasn’t talking about Ben Carson. I think we know the names that I was talking about,” Hill said. “Obviously Steve Bannon, I could go down the list of people who have at very least played footsie with white supremacists.”

Back on Sept. 11, 2017, Hill tweeted, “Donald Trump is a white supremacist who has surrounded himself with other white supremacists.” Hill also called Trump a “bigot,” and “unqualified and unfit to be president.” She added, “If he were not white, he never would have been elected.”

“I still stand by what I said.”

- Jemele Hill
Hill’s anti-Trump comments caught the attention of the White House and Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, who said she considered the rhetoric a “fireable offense.” Trump even got involved himself, mocking Hill and ESPN’s lackluster ratings.

“With Jemele Hill at the mike, it is no wonder ESPN ratings have 'tanked,' in fact, tanked so badly it is the talk of the industry!” Trump tweeted on Oct. 10, 2017.

ESPN initially declined to punish Hill for the tweet, but then sidelined her for two weeks in October when she violated the company’s social media guidelines a second time by calling on fans to boycott the Dallas Cowboys’ advertisers after owner Jerry Jones told players they would be benched if they did not stand up during the national anthem.

Last month ESPN re-assigned Hill from its flagship “SportsCenter” to a new role at The Undefeated, the company’s site that covers the intersections of sports and race. ESPN has said the move was Hill’s choice, but sports talk radio host Clay Travis tweeted that she was “booted” due to “collapsing ratings.”

Travis had been in front of all-things Hill and speculated that she would be removed from “SportsCenter” weeks before it happened. Sports Illustrated media guru Richard Deitsch predicted that Hill’s “tenure as a SportsCenter anchor” was “effectively over” back in October of 2017.

Both ABC, which broadcasts "The View," and ESPN are owned by parent company Disney.

Teacher in Ghana who used blackboard to explain computers gets some Microsoft love

Teaching kids how to use a computer is hard enough already, since they're kids, but just try doing it without any computers. That was the task undertaken by Richard Appiah Akoto in Ghana, and his innovative (and labor-intensive) solution was to draw the computer or application on the blackboard in great detail. His hard work went viral and now Microsoft has stepped in to help out.

Akoto teaches at Betenase Municipal Assembly Junior High in the small town of Sekyedomase. He had posted pictures of his magnum opus, a stunning rendition of a complete Microsoft Word window, to Facebook. "I love ma students so have to do what will make them understand wat am teaching," he wrote. He looks harried in the last image of the sequence.

The post blew up (9.3K reactions at this point), and Microsoft, which has for years been rather quietly promoting early access to computing and engineering education, took notice. It happened to be just before the company's Education Exchange in Singapore, and they flew him out.

6a8363ae9f5070c670a9293f0bb42f64

Akoto in Singapore.

It was Akoto's first time outside of Ghana, and at the conference, a gathering of education leaders from around the world, he described his all-too-common dilemma: The only computers available — one belonging to the school and Akoto's personal laptop — were broken.

"I wanted to teach them how to launch Microsoft Word. But I had no computer to show them," he said in an interview with Microsoft at the event. "I had to do my best. So, I decided to draw what the screen looks like on the blackboard with chalk."

"I have been doing this every time the lesson I’m teaching demands it," he continued. "I’ve drawn monitors, system units, keyboards, a mouse, a formatting toolbar, a drawing toolbar, and so on. The students were okay with that. They are used to me doing everything on the board for them."

Pursuing such a difficult method instead of giving up under such circumstances is more than a little admirable, and the kids are certainly better off for having a teacher dedicated to his class and subject. A little computer literacy can make a big difference.

"They have some knowledge about computers, but they don’t know how to actually operate one," Akoto said. So Microsoft has offered to provide "device and software support" for the school (I've asked for specifics, though they may depend on the school's needs), and Akoto will get a chance to go through Microsoft's educator certification program (which has other benefits).

Obviously if this school is having this issue, countless more are as well, and could use similar support. And as Akoto himself eloquently pointed out to NPR when his post first went viral, "They are lacking more than just equipment."

But at least in this case there are a couple hundred students who will be getting an opportunity they didn't have before. That's a start.

Back