Welcome To aBlackWeb

Billboard's 50 Greatest Rappers List

Guru?

chapelle-charlie-murphy.gif

Where's the Oversight Commission? I wanna file a complaint on this nigga.

lebron-james-le-snitch.gif

That man was was ahead of his time.. And he was a the blueprint for a lot of lyrical MCs.. He doesn’t deserve be disrespected by being behind Nicki who’s best body of work IMO is a mixtape or Aubrey and his team of ghostwriters...
Lyricist MCs... lyrical has everything to do with emotional output in a song

I’m all in favor of us doing another list. Mostly for the entertainment and hurt feelings tho.
:popcorn:

Go down the street and ask
The average nigga who is nas 😂😂😂 they would laugh in yo face nobody gives af about your history or who you got nastalgia from listening to. That boy can not hold a candle next to Kendrick TPAB is the best album most niggas heard in this generation.

Lol, you win bruh. I don’t want any trouble.

:hahaha:

50. Rick Ross
49.Rev Run
48. Melle Mel
47. MC Lyte
46. Jadakiss
45. Ice - T
44. Queen Latifah
43. Bun B
42. Redman
41. E-40
40. Dr.Dre
39. Ludacris
38. Gucci Mane
37. Common
36. Mos Def
35. Future
34. Chuck D
33. Busta
32. T.I
31. Lil Kim
30. Lauryn Hill
29. Pusha T
28. Black Thought
27.Q-Tip
26. Big Pun
25. Method Man
24. KRS-One
23. Kurtis Blow
22. Ghostface
21. DMX
20. Big Daddy Kane
19. Missy
18. Ice Cube
17. 50 Cent
16. Scarface
15. J.Cole
14. LL Cool J
13. Rakim
12. Andre 3000
11. Kanye
10. Nicki Minaj
9. Snoop
8. Drake
7. Lil Wayne
6. Biggie
5. Eminem
4. 2pac
3. Nas
2. Kendrick
1. Jay-Z

In what world is Nicki better than 3000, Scarface and Rakim. Face verse on can't be life kills her whole career.

Billboard's list has Melle Mel

The ABW list doesn't have Melle Mel.

I don't care what era you are from, or when you were born. Melle Mel has to be in any top 50 list.

It's impossible to have a credible opinion if Melle Mel isn't in your top 50.

Yeah, he doesn't really have an album, but he was on a gang of 12" singles in the early 80s. He was in Beat Street, he had a verse on Chaka Khan's I Feel For You, which was a #1 R&B song, He got a grammy for Back On The Block With Quincy Jones, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 are in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, The Message is in The Library of Congress. Melle Mel is a top 50 MC, arguable top 10.

Is
Is this list for actual lyricism??? Cause if so this list is trash.

Is a Billboard list. So I’m assuming that chart placement and music sales factors into it. Which makes sense why Nicky, drake and Wayne are all easily in the top 10. All these lists always gon have people catching feelings. The way I look at them is, “who made the list” and then view from that perspective. Don’t mean I agree w it, but try to understand it(Kanye shrug)

nicki been living off that monster verse for 12.5 years

Nicky is a GREAT rapper from a technical sense. Her subject matter has just been stale. She never really grew as an artist and actually seemed to shrink the longer she got in the game. Which is why she kinda flamed out, all these chicks took her style and over saturated the market with it. Nicky and Wayne might be the most influential rappers in recent rap history.

Now that I look at the list again, from a 49 year old that grew up in Massachusetts in the 80s,

49. Rev Run (Run from Run DMC)
48. Melle Mel (From Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5)

27. Q-Tip
23. Kurtis Blow

14. LL Cool J

I might be the only person on ABW that can remember when those MCs were in their prime.

Kurtis Blow is from the class of 1979. He released a record called Christmas Rappin in 1979. That song still gets played at parties around Christmas time. His big hit was The Breaks, which came out in 1980. They played it on the radio and he performed it on Soul Train

Notable Kurtis Blow songs

Christmas Rappin
The Breaks
8 Million Stories feat Run DMC
Basketball
AJ Scratch
If I Ruled The World

Having said that, he had a few hits in the traditional sense. But there's no way in hell you can rank him ahead of Melle Mel, who is also from The Class of 1979. I would switch Kurtis Blow with Melle Mel so Melle Mel would be 23 and Kurtis Blow would be 48.

Switch Kurtis Blow with Melle Mel

Switch Rev Run with Q-Tip

Then I'd figure out a way to put Too Short in the list

Those are the only 3 changes I would make.

Back