Welcome To aBlackWeb

Bill Maher Uses "N" Word On His Show

been a few days since I listened to it but it was "work the fields" or summin very clearly alluding to slavery. the audience didn't laugh at the notion of manual labor but the implication.

wrong again

nothing alluded to slavery...maher, in poor taste took it there

What is work the fields mean to you for him to bring up house nigger. AP you're better than what you've shown in this thread

smh

ya'll insist on giving opinions on sound bytes instead of the entire context

they were talking about corn fields, which, you know...is still a big thing in Nebraska. The reference made by the senator couldnt possibly have anything to do with the fact they they are the country's 3rd largest corn producer would it?

that was a direct post from the clip, AP. you might want to click play when you take a break from patronizing.

so, was he talking about cotton fields or corn fields, or does it even really matter?

again, there was no alley oop with this one, from contextual clues, i instantly knew he was talking about corn fields being a representative of Nebraska. Maybe if he was from Mississippi, this is an entirely different conversation

as i said, in poor taste, Maher took the comment somewhere else. He even tried to clean it up trying to make another joke about having kids work in the fields.

things being lost in translation can still be offensive....

if you say some shit that i take for an insult...it don't matter what explanation you give. i'm insulted
f5afad70e1dfcdd9cb471f6c8c15272e.jpg

885347b2e008fcfbfe029f55fd842035.jpg

nah Trini trying to make it seem like this was a scripted thing and there are two white racists making jokes at the expense of black people

now if Bill maher was black, then i could see some outrage from this, at least from the senator's direction, but he made a statement and Maher was the one who responded the way he did

white dude makes a joke about not being a house nigga cuz he ain't wanna be in a field doing labor of some kind.....

shit ain't flying no matter how you explain it

back this up with quotes right now.

been a few days since I listened to it but it was "work the fields" or summin very clearly alluding to slavery. the audience didn't laugh at the notion of manual labor but the implication.

which is why i said "try to make it seem"

white dude makes a joke about not being a house nigga cuz he ain't wanna be in a field doing labor of some kind.....

shit ain't flying no matter how you explain it

not on that right now

so is yours implying the convo was about slavery
Missing the point.

I never made any claim along the lines of "this was scripted"... because I don't believe it was. You can allude to something without rehearsing it beforehand, you know.

fair point

however, again, from the very beginning of the conversation, NOTHING the senator said even remotely resembled anything about slavery. I feel like you are trying to direct some of the heat from Maher to him for essentially teeing the situation up for him to begin with

if i am wrong, please let me know

fair point

however, again, from the very beginning of the conversation, NOTHING the senator said even remotely resembled anything about slavery. I feel like you are trying to direct some of the heat from Maher to him for essentially teeing the situation up for him to begin with

if i am wrong, please let me know
I don't have a conspiracy theory if that's what you're getting at, and I'm not trying to take the heat off anyone.

this is how I saw it.

bill - something something Nebraska
senator - yes, we'd love you to come join us and work at the fields
*audience laughs*
bill - work at the fields?
*audience laughs harder*
bill - I'm a house nigger
*breaks out into laughter*

it might have been an unfortunate unintentional parallel but the min the work at the fields response was made n the audience laughed, it wasn't the proposition of manual labor on land that was funny. n he prolly knew Bill didn't actually want to move to Nebraska. the humor in it was coming from hints to a slavery joke imo.

this was escalated n truly "taken there" by Bill Maher's comment but in context, it's white people laughing about allusions to slavery.

u cld remove the n word n replace it with "I live in the big house, thank you very much" and that exchange wld still rub me wrong. context.

I don't have a conspiracy theory if that's what you're getting at, and I'm not trying to take the heat off anyone.

this is how I saw it.

bill - something something Nebraska
senator - yes, we'd love you to come join us and work at the fields
*audience laughs*
bill - work at the fields?
*audience laughs harder*
bill - I'm a house nigger
*breaks out into laughter*

it might have been an unfortunate unintentional parallel but the min the work at the fields response was made n the audience laughed, it wasn't the proposition of manual labor on land that was funny. n he prolly knew Bill didn't actually want to move to Nebraska. the humor in it was coming from hints to a slavery joke imo.

this was escalated n truly "taken there" by Bill Maher's comment but in context, it's white people laughing about allusions to slavery.

u cld remove the n word n replace it with "I live in the big house, thank you very much" and that exchange wld still rub me wrong. context.

good points all around, however, i still personally feel that at least the senator, in his effort to talk about how millennials have gotten away from knowing what actual work is, he implied that had they had to work in the "corn" fields, which has to be stressed in this instance, that they would see what hard work really is

Maher, again, was the one that took the comment and took it to another place and to your point, had he made that remark about the big house like you mentioned, he would still be wrong in the sense that it was a joke in poor taste.

Back