Welcome To aBlackWeb

Best Buy Will No Longer Sell CD’s

And it's their own fuckin fault.

Once CD's are gone the only time I'll buy music will be vinyl or buying an old CD or cassette. Past that, I'll stop buying music all together and I ain't paying for a streaming service either.

Last CD I bought was Cuban Linx II in 2008.

Streaming never made sense to me either.

Just get whatever songs you want from youtube......convert them to WMA......and put them on a thumbdrive/SD Card.

No subscription fees or anything.

Last edited:
Last CD I bought was Cuban Linx II in 2008.

Streaming never made sense to me either.

Just get whatever songs you want from youtube......convert them to WMA......and put them on a thumbdrive/SD Card.

No subscription fees or anything.

1507820759706.png

why would you convert them to wma?

Last edited:
320Kb mp3 sounds way better, Ogg Vorbis sounds better than that, but FLAC is simply the best.

128 WMA>>>>>>>>>>320 mp3

Years back I used to rip CD's to 160 WMA, but realized it's not that much difference in quality than 128.

Less GB space too.

that shit hurt my heart when I came out to the ride and my shit was gone. Had a grip of hard to find Detroit Techno cd's, my King Tee collection on CD, my 90's Grunge cd's, and a bunch of other CD's just gone.

My 1st CD case held 500. I damn there went into rage mode.

I remember being a lil man trying to walk around with my CD player holding that shit like a pizza, and it skipping like a MFer cuz skip protection wasn't good yet lol smh

Don't care. Haven't bought one since 2011 anyway. Physical media has been washed. Nobody wants to be a hoarder. Only thing that really sucks is that streaming has shit audio quality. But 99% of people don't notice or care anyway.

It's still fuck best buy

But yeah, surprised this didn't happen sooner

Went to buy a cd couple years ago

1) the person in that section didn't even know what I was talking about

2) it wasn't in the spot where it was supposed to be. For whatever reason, it wasn't in the new release section nor in the alphabet spot on the shelf which speaks to another issue I've had with best buy or a lot of brick and mortar steps is that they are hiring children with no sense of pride in their job. No one can answer any questions about the products you want unless it's the Apple section (ugh) or the Samsung section (ugh).

This is why I primarily use streaming services

And you can own digital music... Stop saying you can't

You can have Google music, have the streaming service AND STILL buy the digital version the album albeit mp3 format

But let's not act like everyone is an audiophile and can actually appreciate the difference

And you can own digital music... Stop saying you can't

You can have Google music, have the streaming service AND STILL buy the digital version the album albeit mp3 format

But let's not act like everyone is an audiophile and can actually appreciate the difference

I don't care about everyone else, I just care about me. I can hear the difference between a CD, MP3, and these shit-tier streams.

And I don't want to pay for Google music and some streaming service; it's retarded. As I said I don't even like the idea of buying mp3's either but if I have to I will.

I don't care about everyone else, I just care about me. I can hear the difference between a CD, MP3, and these shit-tier streams.

And I don't want to pay for Google music and some streaming service; it's retarded. As I said I don't even like the idea of buying mp3's either but if I have to I will.

You my friend are an exception

I'm not saying that you personally should not care about the quality, but the vast majority doesn't know and can't tell the difference, or rather, don't care about the difference.

So, I pay $10 a month to stream older music as well as newly released music. That's $120 a year. Let's say, to keep the numbers small, physical discs cost $10. That's 12 cds a year, I have access to thousands at my preferred price point.

I guess what I'm saying is, there is no real right or wrong answer here, unless you are still pirating with no intention of actually buying the music.

You like to buy, I like to stream. I still own quite a few physical discs so if the scenario you present ever happens, I have no issue going back to that format to listen to a lot of the older music I like

You my friend are an exception

I'm not saying that you personally should not care about the quality, but the vast majority doesn't know and can't tell the difference, or rather, don't care about the difference.

So, I pay $10 a month to stream older music as well as newly released music. That's $120 a year. Let's say, to keep the numbers small, physical discs cost $10. That's 12 cds a year, I have access to thousands at my preferred price point.

I guess what I'm saying is, there is no real right or wrong answer here, unless you are still pirating with no intention of actually buying the music.

You like to buy, I like to stream. I still own quite a few physical discs so if the scenario you present ever happens, I have no issue going back to that format to listen to a lot of the older music I like

Here's how I see it:

Streaming services will come and go. Physical media will always outlast all of it. I got vinyl older than me and the shit still sounds good. I have cassettes older than some of y'all on this board that still work and sound good. Sure $120 is only 12 CD's a year, but I have no problem spending more than that if the quality of the content is good. I see it as an audio investment: Pay more up front now for many more years of listening. Tidal, Spotify, Napster, etc... They'll disappear and something else will take it's place and all of your carefully curated playlists will be gone with them. I simply don't have the time or patience to jump from one shiny new thing to the next. Plus, just looking into the future, once the RIAA has effectively killed off physical media, they can then drive up the prices for streaming services by demanding more money for access to artist catalogs. Because many artists don't even own the rights to their music, they won't have a say in any of this.

There's a lot that can happen with the death of physical media and none of it is good for the consumer or the artist.

Here's how I see it:

Streaming services will come and go. Physical media will always outlast all of it. I got vinyl older than me and the shit still sounds good. I have cassettes older than some of y'all on this board that still work and sound good. Sure $120 is only 12 CD's a year, but I have no problem spending more than that if the quality of the content is good. I see it as an audio investment: Pay more up front now for many more years of listening. Tidal, Spotify, Napster, etc... They'll disappear and something else will take it's place and all of your carefully curated playlists will be gone with them. I simply don't have the time or patience to jump from one shiny new thing to the next. Plus, just looking into the future, once the RIAA has effectively killed off physical media, they can then drive up the prices for streaming services by demanding more money for access to artist catalogs. Because many artists don't even own the rights to their music, they won't have a say in any of this.

There's a lot that can happen with the death of physical media and none of it is good for the consumer or the artist.

physical media will last as long as people actually produce it

what happens if they dont?

now if you are talking about stuff you currently own, then cool

you cant compare Napster either b/c that was an illegal way to share music. Streaming services today are legal

if an artist in 2018 still doesnt own their music, thats their problem

physical media will last as long as people actually produce it

what happens if they dont?

now if you are talking about stuff you currently own, then cool

you cant compare Napster either b/c that was an illegal way to share music. Streaming services today are legal

if an artist in 2018 still doesnt own their music, thats their problem

Dawg, Napster has been 100% legal for about a decade. It's been a streaming service since sometime in 2008 and, in fact, Best Buy is the company that owned it in 2008. Ever notice how you don't hear about Rhapsody anymore? That's because they merged with Napster and now Napster is the brand that all of Rhapsody's content is under as well as their desktop and mobile software.

Dawg, Napster has been 100% legal for about a decade. It's been a streaming service since sometime in 2008 and, in fact, Best Buy is the company that owned it in 2008. Ever notice how you don't hear about Rhapsody anymore? That's because they merged with Napster and now Napster is the brand that all of Rhapsody's content is under as well as their desktop and mobile software.
Koncept, fam

Name 5 people you know that use Napster today.

My point was the illegal version of it gave way to what we have today

Koncept, fam

Name 5 people you know that use Napster today.

My point was the illegal version of it gave way to what we have today

Context is the key to bringing it up in the convo. I named off Tidal, Spotify, then Napster as examples of streaming services because those are the first three that come to mind. How many subscribers each has and whether I know anyone that uses it is irrelevant.

... but if you really want to go there with it, Napster has far more subscribers than Tidal does and as of December of 2017 it was being reported that Tidal could already be on its way out with only 6 months of money left for operations.

Back