Welcome To aBlackWeb

Lemon Pepper Wings, Strip Clubs and how lemon pepper wings (wet) was written into an Atlanta episode

wow.....this is a really lengthy but great article on Donald Glover which includes his background and how he went through pitching several scenes to FX . It took me the whole day to read it due to me being at work and reading whenever I had free time, so I am only posting the first couple of paragraphs. Oh yeah f*ck Chevy Chase for making racial cracks to Donald Glover in between their scenes of "Community"

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/05/donald-glover-cant-save-you

Donald Glover Can’t Save You

Donald Glover sat behind the wheel of the Nissan Sentra, his door ajar, and lit a joint. In the scene he’d just finished, for the show “Atlanta,” he’d jammed on the brakes to avoid a wild boar in the road, an apparition that made him wonder just how high he was. On this crisp October morning, the car was parked beside Gun Club Road in northwest Atlanta, a woodsy region where a few shacks and a cemetery were all that gestured toward urban life. “This isn’t real,” Glover said—his joint was a prop, filled with clover and marshmallow leaves. “But it actually makes me feel kind of high. Smoking in the car like high school.” He passed the joint to his co-star Zazie Beetz, who inhaled companionably as Glover nodded along to the rhythm of the door-alarm beeps.

Glover is the thirty-four-year-old creator, head writer, occasional director, and star of “Atlanta,” the black comedy about black life—three men and a woman going nowhere much, and beginning to realize it—that in its first season won two Golden Globes, two Emmys, and nearly universal admiration. Chris Rock told me, “ ‘Atlanta’ is the best show on TV, period.” In this episode, from the second season (which débuts this Thursday, on FX), Glover and Beetz’s characters, Earnest (Earn) Marks and Vanessa (Van) Keifer, are driving north from Atlanta in Van’s old Sentra to a German festival called Fastnacht. Van, who speaks German for reasons we never learn, is excited; Earn, who inclines toward watchful truculence, is not. Earn and Van have a daughter and they sleep together off and on, but they are not precisely a couple. “At FX, they didn’t get Earn and Van at all,” Glover told me. “I said, ‘This is every one of my aunts—you have a kid with a guy, he’s around, you’re still attracted to him.’ Poor people can’t afford to go to therapy.”

That link has an option to listen to an audio version of the article. Takes an hr & 11mins.

I listened to it all. Very interesting.

Funniest part was when he said a white version of Donald Glover is James Franco.... A man doing a bunch of random shit but none of it interesting.

I’m hyped for the debut. I hope they keep the same writers and don’t fuck up like the Boodocks and switch them up. You know the white man don’t let us have real nigga shows for more than 3 seasons.

This 2nd season currently has the highest score out of every other show on Metacritic. That's impressive

Back