Welcome To aBlackWeb

Apartment flood issue

OGDirtyD

NAWF ATLANTA ×
So I'm in the bottom floor of a 3 story apartment building. The guy on the 3rd floor tried setting up his washer machine and broke the pipe and his apartment got flooded for 15-20mins. I was called to be aware that they were going in my unit to check for damages. The maintenance guy I spoke with told me what happened and said the apartment above me got the worst and they were cleaning the water up.

Now my question is for anybody who has full knowledge of water/mold, they stopped the water and fixing the pipe but would the water that did leak cause mold in ceiling or inside the wall or since it was a immediate fix will the water that got behind the wall and ceiling just dry off before mold grows.

20190123_112237.jpg
The darker line is where the water is showing. It's like a perfect rectangle outline.

Yes it can, you don't know how much water leaked through his floor and is in your ceiling so you should get the maintenance man to check your ceiling to be on the safe side.

Y'all can have washing machines in y'all apartments, when I lived in one we couldn't for the exact reason you're going through

only if the conditions for mold to grow are suitable

basically, if the AC unit is broke or there is no way to dry the drywall, then yea, mold might form

but if its not dry within the next day or so, then you might need to make a call

Get it checked. Our apartment got flooded thanks to the dickheads upstairs from us that kept pouring grease down the drain. Shit backed up into our kitchen sink then all over the floor and down the hallway. The first drainout for the three apartments above us was in my hallway wall so that's the first place they snaked before going out in the main hallway.

20170705_122259.jpg

It was cleared up but inside the wall got wet. About two months later it happened again, and when they went in they found mold in the wall from when they first opened the drain.

Mold is tricky. If they didn’t remediate it properly then it’s growing behind the wall.

Since you didn’t cause the flood you should be able to get it inspected on their dollar. If they refuse ask to break lease or threaten to get a lawyer involved. (Clean ya vents B)

Mold is tricky. If they didn’t remediate it properly then it’s growing behind the wall.

Since you didn’t cause the flood you should be able to get it inspected on their dollar. If they refuse ask to break lease or threaten to get a lawyer involved. (Clean ya vents B)
How would they inspect it? Put a hole in the wall to check? Just curious what they would do and I'm assuming that means a new paint job and patch as well. I heard stories how apartments will pull anything to avoid that.

As far as I know they were like it will dry out since it isnt a on going leak. Thought that was eye raising too since idk how it will dry out inside the wall but I'm not too familiar on how quick the mold can start if it was a one time problem that was handled in the first 30 mins.

How would they inspect it? Put a hole in the wall to check? Just curious what they would do and I'm assuming that means a new paint job and patch as well. I heard stories how apartments will pull anything to avoid that.

As far as I know they were like it will dry out since it isnt a on going leak. Thought that was eye raising too since idk how it will dry out inside the wall but I'm not too familiar on how quick the mold can start if it was a one time problem that was handled in the first 30 mins.

How old do you figure the structure is you live in? Mold can form fast or slow.

Yes they would have to cut n patch.

Honestly a lawsuit is one thing they don’t want ..complain bout how your breathing and air quality has changed since this leak.

How old do you figure the structure is you live in? Mold can form fast or slow.

Yes they would have to cut n patch.

Honestly a lawsuit is one thing they don’t want ..complain bout how your breathing and air quality has changed since this leak.
Apartments were built in like 2001

Current material then. I’d still draw concern it may be ok but monitor it.
Bleach and water generally neutralize and formed black spots. Give it a week. Report back fam.
What do you mean by current material like they make it more mold resistant?

Years ago i got home...n i saw u fuckn jordan shoe floating in my living room...

Fuckn bathroom pipe busted

In your case the ceiling would needs to be cut in that spot. But again I think you’re ok. Just monitor it for spots

Wet vac the water out....air dry ur house...

Get one them big ass fans to help air shit out

Back