Welcome To aBlackWeb

Breaking News Affirmative Action ruled unconstitutional in for both private and public Colleges and Universities admissions

Post-affirmative action, Asian American families are more stressed than ever about college admissions​

High school senior Sam Srikanth, 17, has applied to elite east coast schools like Cornell and Duke but feels anxious

El Segundo High School senior Sam Srikanth has applied to elite East Coast schools like Cornell and Duke and feels anxious about the intense competition.
(Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

In the first college application season since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down affirmative action, Asian American students are more stressed out than ever. Race-conscious admissions were widely seen to have disadvantaged them, as borne out by disparities in the test scores of admitted students — but many feel that race will still be a hidden factor and that standards are even more opaque than before.

At seminars like Chada’s around Southern California this fall, some held in Korean or Mandarin for immigrant parents, consultants reinforced the message — even students with superhuman qualifications are regularly rejected from Harvard and UC Berkeley.

Parents who didn’t grow up in the American system, and who may have moved to the U.S. in large part for their children’s education, feel desperate and in the dark. Some shell out tens of thousands of dollars for consultants as early as junior high, fearing that anything less than a name-brand school could doom their children to an uncertain future. Sometimes, anxious students are the ones who ask their parents to hire a consultant.
Sam Srikanth, a senior at El Segundo High, has a 4.41 GPA and has taken seven AP courses, which she said was the maximum number offered at her school. She is captain of the varsity swim team and is working on a research project about the role of race in college basketball recruiting

Last edited:

Post-affirmative action, Asian American families are more stressed than ever about college admissions​

High school senior Sam Srikanth, 17, has applied to elite east coast schools like Cornell and Duke but feels anxious

El Segundo High School senior Sam Srikanth has applied to elite East Coast schools like Cornell and Duke and feels anxious about the intense competition.
(Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

In the first college application season since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down affirmative action, Asian American students are more stressed out than ever. Race-conscious admissions were widely seen to have disadvantaged them, as borne out by disparities in the test scores of admitted students — but many feel that race will still be a hidden factor and that standards are even more opaque than before.

At seminars like Chada’s around Southern California this fall, some held in Korean or Mandarin for immigrant parents, consultants reinforced the message — even students with superhuman qualifications are regularly rejected from Harvard and UC Berkeley.

Parents who didn’t grow up in the American system, and who may have moved to the U.S. in large part for their children’s education, feel desperate and in the dark. Some shell out tens of thousands of dollars for consultants as early as junior high, fearing that anything less than a name-brand school could doom their children to an uncertain future. Sometimes, anxious students are the ones who ask their parents to hire a consultant.
Sam Srikanth, a senior at El Segundo High, has a 4.41 GPA and has taken seven AP courses, which she said was the maximum number offered at her school. She is captain of the varsity swim team and is working on a research project about the role of race in college basketball recruiting
Its understandable why some of them have the same thinking that some of the things here are the same as in their home country. But whats not understandable is them refusing to learn how it works here.

But at the end of the day idgaf about these asian overachievers that are mad they had to settle for their second fav elite school. How do they all expect to get into Harvard, like come on. And home girl has a 4.41 and is anxious about getting into a good school, smh, I'd say her parents need to tell her to relax some, but odds are they're contributing to it

Its understandable why some of them have the same thinking that some of the things here are the same as in their home country. But whats not understandable is them refusing to learn how it works here.

But at the end of the day idgaf about these asian overachievers that are mad they had to settle for their second fav elite school. How do they all expect to get into Harvard, like come on. And home girl has a 4.41 and is anxious about getting into a good school, smh, I'd say her parents need to tell her to relax some, but odds are they're contributing to it

That's what's so stupid. They act as if getting into Harvard is the end all and be all of success. If you want to be a doctor and you're good, you're going to be a success pretty much no matter where you go. I'm not going to say that your school's prestige doesn't matter, but there are tons of high level people in this country that didn't go to Ivy League schools.

That's what's so stupid. They act as if getting into Harvard is the end all and be all of success. If you want to be a doctor and you're good, you're going to be a success pretty much no matter where you go. I'm not going to say that your school's prestige doesn't matter, but there are tons of high level people in this country that didn't go to Ivy League schools.
I posted this article i read before (i dont remember if it was this thread) about these Chinese that were interviewed. I guess in their country connections are literally everything, and if you dont get into certain things its a wrap for you. But this kid didnt get into Harvard and had to settle for Yale, this kid and his parents were devastated and outraged. They couldnt fathom a reason why he didnt get in and just wouldnt let it go even tho he already graduated college. They were one of them people pushing to end this and tried to make it seem like if he was black he would of got in.
I really hope they let less Chinese from China in, now. Lets see who they blame now. Cuz realistically no school wants to be filled with kids with the same test scores, same GPA, same majors, & are in the same handful of clubs like they came from a factory. Their campus would be ass

I posted this article i read before (i dont remember if it was this thread) about these Chinese that were interviewed. I guess in their country connections are literally everything, and if you dont get into certain things its a wrap for you. But this kid didnt get into Harvard and had to settle for Yale, this kid and his parents were devastated and outraged. They couldnt fathom a reason why he didnt get in and just wouldnt let it go even tho he already graduated college. They were one of them people pushing to end this and tried to make it seem like if he was black he would of got in.
I really hope they let less Chinese from China in, now. Lets see who they blame now. Cuz realistically no school wants to be filled with kids with the same test scores, same GPA, same majors, & are in the same handful of clubs like they came from a factory. Their campus would be ass

Yep, I had this argument with someone before. Schools have literally never only let people in with certain scores/grades. That's the standard, but they've always made allowances for some others who have other things on their resume that stand out (e.g., work experience, community service, a convincing essay, etc...).

Back