Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY A John Amos Thread

Great

Thanks

So I recently changed from Cox to att to provide a little more stability and get a better bang for my buck

With Cox, I believe they were using coaxial and ATT uses fiber optic. This matters because I had a buddy of mine run some I think cat 5 from my attic to my game room so that I can be hardwired for my gaming. I ended up buying a Wi-Fi thing to connect to the att unit but yesterday was the first time I lost connection several times while playing online. Got kicked out of several matches due to poor connection.

My question is, can I essentially hard wire my fiber optic and run it down a wall so that I'm not losing connection during gaming? I can't even find in the attic where they put the shit and I know something up there cause the tech was in the attic for a min
The first step is to find out why you are dropping. You could do all of that work and end up doing all that work for nothing.

The thing about internet service is that all problems give off the same symptoms. Poor latency (slow service) that can make it seem like dropping. But really what it is is timing out.

The first thing you want to do is when you experience this while gaming. Check your connectivity to your network on another device. So look on your phone and see how strongly you are connected and run a speed test at speed test.net

If you can run a speed test regardless of the speed, meaning that it completes an upload and download test. That means that your WiFi connection isn’t wants dropping.

It’s your WiFi’s connectivity to network services. It could be the jumper between the two devices. It could also be poor latency because you don’t have the bandwidth for the amount of devices you have attached to the network.

So before you look at the network services (your provider) and don’t assume that because it’s fiber that it’s free from issue. What speed are you paying for and how many devices are you using on your WiFi?

The first step is to find out why you are dropping. You could do all of that work and end up doing all that work for nothing.

The thing about internet service is that all problems give off the same symptoms. Poor latency (slow service) that can make it seem like dropping. But really what it is is timing out.

The first thing you want to do is when you experience this while gaming. Check your connectivity to your network on another device. So look on your phone and see how strongly you are connected and run a speed test at speed test.net

If you can run a speed test regardless of the speed, meaning that it completes an upload and download test. That means that your WiFi connection isn’t wants dropping.

It’s your WiFi’s connectivity to network services. It could be the jumper between the two devices. It could also be poor latency because you don’t have the bandwidth for the amount of devices you have attached to the network.

So before you look at the network services (your provider) and don’t assume that because it’s fiber that it’s free from issue. What speed are you paying for and how many devices are you using on your WiFi?
This is awesome

I'm otw home. I'll respond to this when I get there and tried the things you've suggested

I need to make sure my connection strong when hiding in a corner shooting

@Knock_Twice
@Banginscrew901
@TonyDubbz
@Playmaker88

In COD next month. I would've named beta and Freeman but beta dont like playing with niggas and Freeman like that DMZ shit or whatever it is
Aye I told you I wasn't getting that Diddy game catch me on the next battlefield ya heard!!

good information here . I was gonna ask if he has a dual band router

I need to make sure my connection strong when hiding in a corner shooting

@Knock_Twice
@Banginscrew901
@TonyDubbz
@Playmaker88

In COD next month. I would've named beta and Freeman but beta dont like playing with niggas and Freeman like that DMZ shit or whatever it is

I'll be there bro

u can't depend on Mac tho word is he was getting violated in the beta and crouched down in the corner till his match was over. Rumor has it he rushed to cut the game off n vowed to never play it again all off of 1 game.

Sad

So speed test was good

No interruptions. Completed flawlessly

I have the ATT 1000 package. The app says I have 5 devices hooked up

So speed test was good

No interruptions. Completed flawlessly

I have the ATT 1000 package. The app says I have 5 devices hooked up

Unfortunately, this troubleshooting process won’t really help until you are experiencing the problem while gaming. Because only then will the conditions that are causing the problem be present.

It’s an extremely wide scope of things that can cause it. So what you want to rule out is the things you can put your hands on.

So if you’re gaming and it’s happening and you grab your phone and check the speeds.

If it’s consistent enough to complete a test, you know that the connection is constant.

Then after you do the test your latency and or ping will most likely be high. Somewhere above 80 milliseconds. If that’s not the case, the problem points to your gaming systems game server.

If that is the case, it points to the fact that you have an issue with packet loss and or utilization.

Then you have to look at the time of the day. Is it a time of day that most people would be home? If so, does it happen often times around that time of day?

If so, that may be a function of how it your service works.

So basically, if …say they ran a buffer tube to a junction point. The buffer tube can have 12 fibers. 2 fibers for each home, one is forward and the other is return.

So the from that point, your two fibers can go to a splitter, that has 3 fibers on it, three coming from you and your neighbors home, and then they leave on one fiber together, to the next hop/junction point.

So like, depending on how far you are from the end point, your fiber can have a long way to go and the distance matter because it affects the strength of your signal.

So even though the fiber to your home is dedicated, who knows what it does once it hits the first hop.

All that to say basically there’s a good chance you’re sharing an upstream connection with a ton of people and that’s probably why the speeds become spoty during peak times.

That would result in a high ping time during peak hours

Sorry if that sounds all over the place. Tell me what you don’t get. And I’ll clarify of narrow it down. Basically, it’s going to take you some time to figure out what the problem is if you want to fix it.

Unless you know someone of the cable company that can come out and run a latency test around peak times and even then, who’s to say anyone will care when he reports it.

The call center can’t really see anything that matters and they aren’t hired to understand what they do see. So you kinda gotta go through the process of elimination on your own to find the problem.

Or you could just do what you initiallly wanted and hope I’m wrong and it works

Unfortunately, this troubleshooting process won’t really help until you are experiencing the problem while gaming. Because only then will the conditions that are causing the problem be present.

It’s an extremely wide scope of things that can cause it. So what you want to rule out is the things you can put your hands on.

So if you’re gaming and it’s happening and you grab your phone and check the speeds.

If it’s consistent enough to complete a test, you know that the connection is constant.

Then after you do the test your latency and or ping will most likely be high. Somewhere above 80 milliseconds. If that’s not the case, the problem points to your gaming systems game server.

If that is the case, it points to the fact that you have an issue with packet loss and or utilization.

Then you have to look at the time of the day. Is it a time of day that most people would be home? If so, does it happen often times around that time of day?

So basically, if …say they ran a buffer tube to a junction point. The buffer tube can have 12 fibers. 2 fibers for each home, one is forward and the other is return.

So the from that point, your two fibers can go to a splitter, that has 3 fibers on it, three coming from you and your neighbors home, and then they leave on one fiber together, to the next hop/junction point.

So like, depending on how far you are from the end point, your fiber can have a long way to go and the distance matter because it affects the strength of your signal.

So even though the fiber to your home is dedicated, who knows what it does once it hits the first hop.

All that to say basically there’s a good chance you’re sharing an upstream connection with a ton of people and that’s probably why the speeds become spoty during peak times.

Sorry if that sounds all over the place. Tell me what you don’t get. And I’ll clarify of narrow it down. Basically, it’s going to take you some time to figure out what the problem is if you want to fix it.

Unless you know someone of the cable company that can come out and run a latency test around peak times and even then, who’s to say anyone will care when he reports it.

The call center can’t really see anything that matters and they aren’t hired to understand what they do see. So you kinda gotta go through the process of elimination on your own to find the problem.

Damn you smart bro

This is good

Thank you for the super detailed response. I was able to follow along for the most part. Funny that as soon as I posted my last message, I was kicked out the game

For this particular game (fuck you beta), when I was hard wired, the ping was like 30. Since I've gone to the Wi-Fi, it's around 43. Not sure if that's significant enough but I'm about to try and play some more. Currently have the game streaming on one PC (this one is hard wired with Cox... Yes I'm still paying for both)... While gaming on the other PC that's Wi-Fi with att

This is good

Thank you for the super detailed response. I was able to follow along for the most part. Funny that as soon as I posted my last message, I was kicked out the game

For this particular game (fuck you beta), when I was hard wired, the ping was like 30. Since I've gone to the Wi-Fi, it's around 43. Not sure if that's significant enough but I'm about to try and play some more. Currently have the game streaming on one PC (this one is hard wired with Cox... Yes I'm still paying for both)... While gaming on the other PC that's Wi-Fi with att
Does it have the issue while on Cox?

And if you google, connection issue and the game you are playing, how old is the most recent comment on any site about it?

Know what’s ill? The job I have now, they literally only gave me like, 4 actual days of training and I just figured it out with some of what I already knew.

They didn’t give me my flowers, they hired another guy recently and tried to do the same thing and dude struggled like crazy and still has to be helped.

lol…I’ve gotten allot more slack as of late

Back