Welcome To aBlackWeb

2024 NFL Offseason Thread

Lemme ask yall since it’s draft season:

If you were a GM, how would yall navigate the production vs traits part of evaluations? Prime example is someone like Chop Robinson from Penn State, who from everything I saw/listened to is being mocked in the 1st round because of the traits he flashes and not because of his production.

If you were a GM, how would yall navigate the production vs traits part of evaluations? Prime example is someone like Chop Robinson from Penn State, who from everything I saw/listened to is being mocked in the 1st round because of the traits he flashes and not because of his production.
Tough question. They both have positives and negatives and we’ve seen great players come from a production perspective and great players come from a traits. It’s all case dependent on position.

I’m going off production as the gm tho. It seems like it’s been more players with upside that either never lived up to the hype or was just a fraction of talent for that said position and end up one and done or sent to special teams.

Last edited:

Depends on the position. Usually with up front guys I need the production OL/DL. Since it’s such a me vs you position.

Other positions guys could have traits and just were used poorly, wrong system or had poor qb play if it’s a WR or something like that. I’m more lenient with say a QB nowadays too, gotta look at the whole picture.

Teams like KC can afford to do that.

Tough question. They both have positives and negatives and we’ve seen great players come from a production perspective and great players come from a traits. It’s all case dependent on position.

I’m going off production as the gm tho. It seems like it’s been more players with upside that either never lived up to the hype or was just a fraction of talent for that said position and end up one and done or sent to special teams.
Yeah I think im a production over traits guy in the early rounds. 1-3 you gotta get starters/pro bowl/all pro guys. 4-7 you can lean for more traits and hope one of them pops.

Depends on the position. Usually with up front guys I need the production OL/DL. Since it’s such a me vs you position.

Other positions guys could have traits and just were used poorly, wrong system or had poor qb play if it’s a WR or something like that. I’m more lenient with say a QB nowadays too, gotta look at the whole picture.
I never thought about it like this.
Teams like KC can afford to do that.
Yeah mahomes covers a lot of misses. But still they gotta hit on offensive skill players. Kelce on his way out. They need dudes to take the reins.

Onside kicks have become a rarity since they changed the rule years ago. Probably going to remove it in the future
Returns on kickoffs also is a rarity too ever since they changed the rule to make them shorter unless you have a bad kicker or bad weather
Hip drop tackles definitely causes injuries but it's one less way for a defender to tackle someone

We the only team in the NFL where it takes a literal act of Congress for us to get a new stadium in DC.

Im not a Commanders fan but I do live in the Capital Region. I am a big advocate of putting the Commanders back in DC and I think its a travesty that the Caps and Wizards are moving thier arena to Alexandria, Va

The proposed site is going to be a nightmare as far as traffic.

IMO

Tape >>> everything else

Of course you have to factor in level of competition, etc

But as they say

“Eye in the sky dont lie”

I do believe that there is a basic level of athleticism that is required that is unique to each position that is crucial to success in the NFL and you do have to take that into account. But again for me, all the athletic testing and metrics should confirm what you see on film.

Film >>>

IMO

Tape >>> everything else

Of course you have to factor in level of competition, etc

But as they say

“Eye in the sky dont lie”

I do believe that there is a basic level of athleticism that is required that is unique to each position that is crucial to success in the NFL and you do have to take that into account. But again for me, all the athletic testing and metrics should confirm what you see on film.

Film >>>
Tape and production is kinda different to me.

The tape shows everything you can do.

A coach job will get the production out of you.

Coaches can scheme you open. But when you have that entire traits with a great coach. That’s how STARS are made

Tape and production is kinda different to me.

The tape shows everything you can do.

A coach job will get the production out of you.

Coaches can scheme you open. But when you have that entire traits with a great coach. That’s how STARS are made
True. A guy with great film and traits can be put in a bad scheme and look like boo boo.

Shit case in point…Najee Harris

He is not a one cut runner. Putting him in a zone scheme basically nerfs him

Throw him in a power running, gap scheme where he can get downhill…now you got yourself a guy that turns 3 yds into 5 just because he falls forward cause he is a locomotive.

I saw the difference in his production when Pittsburgh stopped giving him zone runs

Im very wary of how he will be used in Art Smith’s system casue its a wide zone based scheme

I hope they make him lose weight so he can be a bit more agile like Lev Bell had to do

LB was like 235-240 at Mich State and dropped like 15 pds and became the best back in the league. Not saying thats Najee…but I dont think it would hurt him at all lol

Im not a Commanders fan but I do live in the Capital Region. I am a big advocate of putting the Commanders back in DC and I think its a travesty that the Caps and Wizards are moving thier arena to Alexandria, Va

The proposed site is going to be a nightmare as far as traffic.
I doubt that happens, it’s gonna be a fierce battle. People really don’t want them in Alexandria.

Back