Welcome To aBlackWeb

2023/2024 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sixers have had the luxury of playing the blazers, wizards, pistons, raptors and pacers today and Tuesday
Heats have beaten teams that are a combined 19-40.

drink-juice.gif

Incoming rant. LMAO.

I was listing to Frank Isola and Brian Scalabrine on NBA radio this morning comment on what Adam Silver said on JJ Redick’s podcast about wanting the way the media covers the league to have more examples of actual plays instead of just generalized information. Silver even gave examples of when Kenny Smith will go to the board and show why a play worked.

Brian Scalabrine was kind of playing the fence like he always does when Frank is hosting and Frank pretty much took offense to what Adam Silver was saying and pretty much stating that the TNT show is popular because of Charles and Shaq joking.

My gripe with his take is how he overlooked how even Shaq with some of his rudimentary takes gives examples of how some big players can make a positive impact if they do certain things and Charles also gives takes outside of BS cliche answers like this guy is tall and he should get more rebounds because he is tall. 🤣 Even some of the callers stated that it definitely should be a bit more talking about why and how certain plays work.

I don’t watch football anymore but I remember on NFL shows and even 1st take how former players and coaches would break down plays and show why it worked. You barely get that with NBA coverage. I think Adam Silver has a valid point and it’s crazy to me that a person who covers the league is pretty much shitting on the man’s point. Maybe he takes it as an insult to his profession or something.

But what do you folks think about Adam Silvers comments?

Incoming rant. LMAO.

I was listing to Frank Isola and Brian Scalabrine on NBA radio this morning comment on what Adam Silver said on JJ Redick’s podcast about wanting the way the media covers the league to have more examples of actual plays instead of just generalized information. Silver even gave examples of when Kenny Smith will go to the board and show why a play worked.

Brian Scalabrine was kind of playing the fence like he always does when Frank is hosting and Frank pretty much took offense to what Adam Silver was saying and pretty much stating that the TNT show is popular because of Charles and Shaq joking.

My gripe with his take is how he overlooked how even Shaq with some of his rudimentary takes gives examples of how some big players can make a positive impact if they do certain things and Charles also gives takes outside of BS cliche answers like this guy is tall and he should get more rebounds because he is tall. 🤣 Even some of the callers stated that it definitely should be a bit more talking about why and how certain plays work.

I don’t watch football anymore but I remember on NFL shows and even 1st take how former players and coaches would break down plays and show why it worked. You barely get that with NBA coverage. I think Adam Silver has a valid point and it’s crazy to me that a person who covers the league is pretty much shitting on the man’s point. Maybe he takes it as an insult to his profession or something.

But what do you folks think about Adam Silvers comments?

One of the biggest issues the NBA has is the learning curve of casual people.

I find it crazy more people understand football out the gate but feel watching basketball is calculus.

But 97% of people who watch ball don't know what SLOB, ATO, etc means. They think every play is pick and roll without understanding the nuances that exist with a lot of sets that look the same when you initiate the play but how it can change depending if the defender goes under or tries to go over the top.

They see Steph and think most teams are able to do that.

Lastly, 99% of fans grow up ball watching so they don't see off ball shit today ends up leading to lobs that seem to come out of thin air.

I honestly don't see this changing ever

One of the biggest issues the NBA has is the learning curve of casual people.

I find it crazy more people understand football out the gate but feel watching basketball is calculus.

But 97% of people who watch ball don't know what SLOB, ATO, etc means. They think every play is pick and roll without understanding the nuances that exist with a lot of sets that look the same when you initiate the play but how it can change depending if the defender goes under or tries to go over the top.

They see Steph and think most teams are able to do that.

Lastly, 99% of fans grow up ball watching so they don't see off ball shit today ends up leading to lobs that seem to come out of thin air.

I honestly don't see this changing ever
So cacalytics ruined the sport?

In football the analytics are simpler. On 4th down on the opponents side of the field and on short yardage you go for it, that’s simple to understand.

So cacalytics ruined the sport?

In football the analytics are simpler. On 4th down on the opponents side of the field and on short yardage you go for it, that’s simple to understand.
Not at all

SLOB and ATO existed well before the emergence of analytics

And even with your example, most coaches kick the FG cause even that's not an exact science or guaranteed.

I think the NBA as a whole needs to get over their inferiority complex. Fans are gonna watch their favorite team play when they are on and watch the best game of the night when their team is not playing. Casuals are gonna watch the hyped stars or the primetime games. Period. Silver needs to worry about putting better content on NBATV.

Not at all

SLOB and ATO existed well before the emergence of analytics

And even with your example, most coaches kick the FG cause even that's not an exact science or guaranteed.
I’m sure it existed before but all these other stats popped up recently though. There’s a stat called LEBRON.

The NBA was better when teams had their own distinctive styles. Now everybody plays the same thanks to cacalytics.

I’m sure it existed before but all these other stats popped up recently though. There’s a stat called LEBRON.

The NBA was better when teams had their own distinctive styles. Now everybody plays the same thanks to cacalytics.
Well, when Shaq was dominating, all the other teams were signing 7ft dudes just to be able to take the abuse from him and if nothing else, be foul sponges.

When Boston did the big 3, every team followed suit.

Every league is a copycat one.

When Miami dolphins was running the wildcat, everyone else started to implement some of those packages.

Well, when Shaq was dominating, all the other teams were signing 7ft dudes just to be able to take the abuse from him and if nothing else, be foul sponges.

When Boston did the big 3, every team followed suit.

Every league is a copycat one.

When Miami dolphins was running the wildcat, everyone else started to implement some of those packages.
That might be true. But the Chris Webber era Kings and the Shaq and Kobe Lakers play style were different. As was J Kidd Nets and the Pistons. Now they’ve allowed cacalytics to infiltrate the NBA and dictate the way teams play.

You mentioned the NFL but there’s a distinct difference between the way the Ravens play vs the way the Bengals play. Or Philly or Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back