Welcome To aBlackWeb

2023/2024 Football/Soccer Thread ⚽️

I mean it depends how injured they are... Rooney played through injuries and shortened his career, though his lifestyle outside of football didnt help...

I think the bigger meesage Rooney was trying to convey was that these players were hiding and didn't want to do all their can to get back onto the pitch NOW and help their club or manager. It calls to their mentality.
But come a glory moment e.g. FA cup final, watch who suddenly wants to be make themselves available for selection.

He basically called them players selfish and self-preserving...

Also playing with a knock is part and parcel of an elite football player. Many players play not being 100%.

Quote from Thierry Henry:

"The thing that people don't realise is that Patrick has been playing for a long time with an ankle injury, certainly the last four of five games," explained Henry to the Sun.

"The guy has been putting his body on the line. And I've been playing since the beginning of the season with an Achilles problem.

"But Patrick and I don't jump off the boat - we stand and fight. Neither of us are 100 percent.

"Yet, even though I am not fully fit, I don't think I am doing badly for my team. As long as I can walk I will play if the team needs me.

"We may not be playing too well at the moment but we are all playing, not hiding away."

I think the bigger meesage Rooney was trying to convey was that these players were hiding and didn't want to do all their can to get back onto the pitch NOW and help their club or manager. It calls to their mentality.
But come a glory moment e.g. FA cup final, watch who suddenly wants to be make themselves available for selection.

He basically called them players selfish and self-preserving...

Also playing with a knock is part and parcel of an elite football player. Many players play not being 100%.

Quote from Thierry Henry:

"The thing that people don't realise is that Patrick has been playing for a long time with an ankle injury, certainly the last four of five games," explained Henry to the Sun.

"The guy has been putting his body on the line. And I've been playing since the beginning of the season with an Achilles problem.

"But Patrick and I don't jump off the boat - we stand and fight. Neither of us are 100 percent.

"Yet, even though I am not fully fit, I don't think I am doing badly for my team. As long as I can walk I will play if the team needs me.

"We may not be playing too well at the moment but we are all playing, not hiding away."

Yeah alot of players dont wanna be seen when the fans are on the clubs back, thats where Bruno gets alot of credit the guy is always available, same for Ronaldo too...

I think the mentality of todays sport science is alot more 'play it safe too' though and advancement in surgery has helped, hence why players no longer retire at 28/29 and play into their late 30s...

There is playing with knocks, which in any elite sport you will be and then having issues with things like achilles, hammys... Look at Michael Owen's career being fckd from playing with one hamstring because he played through injuries..

Welbeck had no injuries at United until he got to Arsenal but finally got over his issues at Brighton after some surgery that left him quicker if anything apparently...

Its finding a balance I guess...

Back