2022 NFL Season Thread

What do you mean?

Like let's say a player signs a 5 year deal, then plays 2 years and walks away from the game. I don't think a team can wait 3 years for the contract to expire and sign him like a FA. I think the clock stops when they walk away, so they'd still owe 3 years to their original team when they come back.

I think that's how it works.

Like let's say a player signs a 5 year deal, then plays 2 years and walks away from the game. I don't think a team can wait 3 years for the contract to expire and sign him like a FA. I think the clock stops when they walk away, so they'd still owe 3 years to their original team when they come back.

I think that's how it works.
Hmmmm not really depends on how the contract is written out....prime example....luck signed his extension 2016 then he retired in 2019 his extension was suppose to last until 2022....indy held on to his rights until his contract was done but no money was owed because irsay told luck he can keep the 16.8 million bonus

Hmmmm not really depends on how the contract is written out....prime example....luck signed his extension 2016 then he retired in 2019 his extension was suppose to last until 2022....indy held on to his rights until his contract was done but no money was owed because irsay told luck he can keep the 16.8 million bonus

That's a financial thing though. They didn't try to get their money back, but they may still own the rights to him as a player unless they chose to void the deal. So if Luck decided to come back next year a team may still have to go through Indy for him.

That's a financial thing though. They didn't try to get their money back, but they may still own the rights to him as a player unless they chose to void the deal. So if Luck decided to come back next year a team may still have to go through Indy for him.
Nope once the contract ended indy doesn't own the rights to luck anymore that was stated in his contract......any team could sign him without indy's permission if he decided to come back

Reactions: Bow to Royalty