Welcome To aBlackWeb

2018 Oscars

The optics of green book getting top honor rub me the wrong way. I'm sure it's a good movie but it's like the help...I just cant do it. And I liked the help.

I wonder how much they paid paperboy to be the latest black man in Hollywood to wear a dress? Like, how do these negotiations even happen?

Yea i never even wanted to peep The Help... The Butler... None that

They got me w/ Hidden Figures tho. Honeypotted me w/ janelle monae
I never wanted to see those either cause they perpetuated the black servant stereotype.

Green Book is a lot different in terms of the portrayal of the black character.

Yea i never even wanted to peep The Help... The Butler... None that

They got me w/ Hidden Figures tho. Honeypotted me w/ janelle monae

Hidden Figures was the GOAT movie. Made me love black women even more

Last edited:
I wonder how much they paid paperboy to be the latest black man in Hollywood to wear a dress? Like, how do these negotiations even happen?

I actually watched the first hour of the event

I saw the nigga in a dress next to a white woman...

I switched off and went to bed

this my thing, why couldnt he pay homage in a way like Spike did?

You dont have to wear no damn dress brah

FOH

this my thing, why couldnt he pay homage in a way like Spike did?

You dont have to wear no damn dress brah

FOH
I don't understand how he's even paying homage. Homage to what? Costume design? And to do it with Melissa McCarthy of all people? What's she got to do with that? And dresses are the only or best way to pay homage? Could've easily donned a Black Panther related outfit and delivered the same, and probably better message given its the reason she won.

This looks like misguided direction from his team and a scream for acceptance from Hollywood.

Guess I'm the only one that didn't care about paperboy's costume and thinks the "black man in a dress" outrage is kinda overblown

Guess I'm the only one that didn't care about paperboy's costume and thinks the "black man in a dress" outrage is kinda overblown
im not outraged, but just kinda disappointed that he chose THAT way to pay homage to...idk who he was even paying it to, but then he doubled down on the shit talking about his masculinity and that's what "triggered" me

The one dude with the tux dress I'm not mad at cause that's who he is. That's what he does.

That shit seemed so out of character for this dude. Maybe I'm confounding the character with the actor, but he doesn't come off as the type to just rock a dress at his leisure.

It's forced and unauthentic.

The one dude with the tux dress I'm not mad at cause that's who he is. That's what he does.

That shit seemed so out of character for this dude. Maybe I'm confounding the character with the actor, but he doesn't come off as the type to just rock a dress at his leisure.

It's forced and unauthentic.
It's a period piece costume. Of course it's forced cuz nobody dresses like that today. It's not like he was wearing a ball gown and heels

im not outraged, but just kinda disappointed that he chose THAT way to pay homage to...idk who he was even paying it to, but then he doubled down on the shit talking about his masculinity and that's what "triggered" me
Maybe he brought up his masculinity cuz people were coming at him about his.

This was my review on the movie:

The Green Book

What a beautiful story and perhaps one of the best movies to have been released in the last 2 years. The Green Book stars Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali and recounts the friendship between famed African American pianist Dr Donald Shirley and Tony Vallelonga his driver and bodyguard as The Doc Shirley Trio tour the deep American South in the 1962. The performances were just incredible. Shirley is eloquent fluent in Russian, Italian and lord knows what else - Ali played him extremely well. Viggo blew me away also with his portrayal of a street smart Italian wise guy. I couldn't believe it man. That was some of the best acting I've seen in YEARS. They were just flawless. The direction was also powerful and as simple as it was it really did a great job of capturing the mood and raw human emotions. You really feel for Shirley, there's one scene where the two get into an argument and Tony says he's blacker than Shirley and Shirley just snaps. He says he's not white enough to sit at the table and he's not black enough to be accepted by his own and so what is he ? Just another nigga off the corner to the white man who wants to make a difference. Tony realises Shirley chose to tour the south as it is Shirley's way of bringing awareness and standing up for civil rights at the time (to understand this you also have to know of his political ties and other values which they lightly touch on in the film). There's another scene where they drive by a plantation and the car breaks down and the field Negros see Shirley as Tony is fixing the car and driving him around and they just look in awe. Just a powerful scene. There were parts that really hit and there was never a dull moment. Shirley was teaching Tony diction, etiquette, and class and Tony was teaching Shirley how to stand up for himself. Both characters have their way of dealing with the issues at hand and contrast off one another beautifully. They did a great job at displaying and manifesting their friendship. I can't say there was anything bad about the film. The movie was flawless, a modern day classic. I didn't think it was gonna be as good as it turned out to be. I don't often watch dramas but this was a beautiful story.

I rate this film 9.6/10

fam..

Back