2018 NFL Season Thread

https://thinkprogress.org/josh-norman-nfl-protests-b5d4122f4c2c/

‘Who gives a f**k?’: NFL star tells league to stop caring about what Trump thinks

"So what if it’s a down year?"

We’re less than a week into the NFL preseason, which means that, right on cue and for the third year in a row, Trump is attacking NFL players for their protests of police brutality and systemic racism during the national anthem. And just as predictably, the league is frantically trying to figure out how to respond.

Time, it turns out, really is a flat circle.

The players won’t stop protesting, Trump won’t stop angrily tweeting about it, and the more Trump tweets about it, the more motivation players have to protest. What is the NFL to do?

While the league is surely paying obscene gobs of money in order to consult with a room full of rich, white public relations “experts,” their own employee, Washington cornerback Josh Norman just offered them some sage advice for free. And, in my opinion, it’s the best advice they’re ever going to receive on the matter: Don’t. Do. Anything.

“You continue to do what you do, because guess what: you have a product, and that product is fucking banking. It’s the number two product in the world outside of soccer—you cannot beat it. Those checks will keep coming regardless of what you do,” Norman told Kevin Clark of The Ringer when asked how he would respond to Trump’s attacks if he was the commissioner.

You heard right: Norman is suggesting that the best thing the NFL can do in this case is to do nothing at all. Considering every time the league issues a policy change or a milquetoast statement things only seem to get worse instead of better, it just might be a genius plan.

“I wouldn’t tell them to do a fucking thing. This guy is going to be out of office in two years. I think we’ll be OK,” Norman said. “Trust me: the accounts will be fine. I wouldn’t put emphasis on it. Because the fans are going to come. It’s not like you’ve got scabs on the field like in 1987. So what if it’s a down year? Who gives a fuck? Next year you’ll be great. It’s not going to catastrophically disappear because one guy said something.”

He’s absolutely right! There are no signs that the protests during the national anthem over police brutality are hurting the NFL’s bottom line. Yes, ratings are slightly down, but that’s true across all of broadcast television, and the NFL’s ratings are decreasing at a slower rate. And last year, the NFL made more than $8 billion in revenue for the first time in the history of the league. Eight. Billion. Dollars. Not too shabby for a “down year.”

T.O a bitter ass nigga man..you got in, fuck all that shit. Dude loves drawing attention to himself. Wasn't one of them dudes that just got in this year mad old and waited a looooong ass time to get in. Showed up w a smile on his face and had his daughter and fam w him. T.O just found an excuse to make this all about him, just like he did during his playing days. He actually proved the hating writers write by pulling this stunt

T.O a bitter ass nigga man..you got in, fuck all that shit. Dude loves drawing attention to himself. Wasn't one of them dudes that just got in this year mad old and waited a looooong ass time to get in. Showed up w a smile on his face and had his daughter and fam w him. T.O just found an excuse to make this all about him, just like he did during his playing days. He actually proved the hating writers write by pulling this stunt

Naw

The voters made it about them

No way he should have waited multiple years to get in

Now the HOF trying to make ppl sign contracts that if you get voted in you have to show up. Like what type of shit is that

I'm coming back for my basketball crown this season
giphy.gif

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ger-pittsburgh-steelers-fine-concussion-scare

Ben Roethlisberger fine, reportedly out of concussion protocol

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is doing fine and is expected to resume football activities soon, according to a source.

The team placed Roethlisberger in the concussion protocol after the Pro Bowl quarterback took a fall during Tuesday's practice. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Roethlisberger is out of the concussion protocol.

Teammates said Roethlisberger's head whipped back onto the turf after he became tangled with linemen on a rollout to his right, but after the play he assured center Maurkice Pouncey that he was good.

Roethlisberger traveled with the team to Green Bay for its second preseason game, for which he was ruled out before getting hurt.

This is the first time since 2015 that Roethlisberger entered concussion protocol. Roethlisberger, 36, took at least 40 sacks six times from 2006 to 2013 but is averaging 1.4 sacks per game in recent years behind a veteran offensive line, which he credits for prolonging his career.

Roethlisberger lost weight this offseason to alleviate joint pain, and coach Mike Tomlin said the quarterback had an "awesome" training camp as a performer and collaborator with coaches and players.

The Steelers on Thursday will play rookie Mason Rudolph and Josh Dobbs at quarterback while Roethlisberger and backup Landry Jones sit.

The Steelers will be off Friday and likely resume practice Saturday

200w.gif