Welcome To aBlackWeb

2018 NFL Season Thread

If jags don't put in a call to Dez then that tells you all you need to know about how he's regarded around the league. Jacksonville and Dallas got the WOAT receiving corps

It’s about fit

Des can’t come in and replace Lee because they play different inside that offense.

It’s about fit

Des can’t come in and replace Lee because they play different inside that offense.

Jags got a bunch of slot guys on the roster now. Dez wouldn't be replacing Lee specifically, but if he can still play they could play him on the outside and get some use out of him. Before they got rid of both of them both the Allen guys were big outside receivers

Jags got a bunch of slot guys on the roster now. Dez wouldn't be replacing Lee specifically, but if he can still play they could play him on the outside and get some use out of him. Before they got rid of both of them both the Allen guys were big outside receivers

Keelan Cole will get more plays on the outside.

I don't see Coughlin pulling the trigger on Dez.

Frank Reich opened his Monday press conference with unexpected news: Andrew Luck has a foot injury. Reich, though, insists it is not headline news.

Reich termed it “minor” and said the quarterback would play this week if it was the regular season, per Mike Chappell of Fox59/CBS4.

Luck, who was injured on a sack in Saturday’s preseason game against the 49ers, missed practice Monday. He will return to practice Tuesday if his foot has improved in the morning.

He would not have played in Thursday’s preseason finale anyway, so Luck will have two weeks to get his foot back to 100 percent.

giphy.gif

Frank Reich opened his Monday press conference with unexpected news: Andrew Luck has a foot injury. Reich, though, insists it is not headline news.

Reich termed it “minor” and said the quarterback would play this week if it was the regular season, per Mike Chappell of Fox59/CBS4.

Luck, who was injured on a sack in Saturday’s preseason game against the 49ers, missed practice Monday. He will return to practice Tuesday if his foot has improved in the morning.

He would not have played in Thursday’s preseason finale anyway, so Luck will have two weeks to get his foot back to 100 percent.

Luck gonna be road kill by the time we play them in week 4

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-richardsons-situation-is-tip-of-the-iceberg/

NFL fears that Jerry Richardson’s situation is “tip of the iceberg”

Earning a statue doesn’t necessarily accelerate the expiration of statutes of limitations.

When news first emerged regarding the settlement agreements that sparked the unforced-forced sale of the Panthers by team founder Jerry Richardson, two questions emerged as it relates to the possibility that other teams may be facing similar predicaments: “How many other teams have negotiated similar settlements in the past without disclosing them to the league? . . . . How many other teams will be promptly self-reporting those settlements now?”

While answers have yet to emerge, the league remains concerned that related problems may arise. That’s something Mark Leibovich realized in four years of studying the NFL in connection with his new book, Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times. Leibovich prepared a “What I Learned” essay for Peter King’s Football Morning in America column, and Leibovich learned plenty about the dynamics that abruptly brought down one of the league’s most powerful men. And he offered a prediction that, if accurate, could be strong enough to shatter a Shield.

I learned the Jerry Richardson problem is not over,” Leibovich writes. “There is real concern that Jerry Richardson is the tip of the iceberg. With obscenely rich and powerful and aggressive people like NFL owners, there can be a commonness of not only acting in a brutish and entitled way, but also, simply, of being able to pay people off when they try to speak out. Needless to say, Richardson has no monopoly inside the membership on having engaged in outdated behavior. I think there will be other cases. The league fears there will be others.”

Settlement agreements, coupled with confidentiality provisions, have become commonplace in corporate America. Companies offer to cut a check to a potentially disgruntled employee in exchange for peace and, more importantly, silence. The Richardson case proves that the silence may not be permanent. The consequences of that silence being broken can be.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-jones-wants-18-game-season-2-preseason-games

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wants 18-game season, 2 preseason games

FRISCO, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones wants to see 18 regular-season games and two preseason games, and he said he does not believe the players' health will be adversely affected.

"I think candidly it's probably physically better for players than it is to have the longer preseason, the longer practicing," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Tuesday. "Our studies show that we actually have a ramped-up injury situation with players during preseason as opposed to the injury factor in the regular season."

Jones acknowledged it is "debatable" as to whether there is more of a health risk, but said, "I think it's defensible, and really I did present it on the basis that it's something I think it does, and that's create a safer game for the players."

In recent years, teams have cut back on how much their starters and regulars play in the preseason. Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott will enter the regular season without any work in the preseason for the first time in his career. With injuries on the offensive line, Dak Prescott did not play last Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.

The Cowboys close the preseason against the Houston Texans on Thursday and will not play their starters.

Jones said he has been a proponent of an expanded regular-season schedule for years. He said the topic of an 18-game regular season will be brought up in the impending talks around a new collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Association.

"That's a better equity or a better way of players using what they bring to the table, their talents, their skills, their professional time in pro sports," Jones said. "That will give them a bigger payday that's fair. And the other thing it does is certainly give our fans what we all think they deserve, and that's a competitive game."

I’m sure all the Cowboys players now have the same opinion as Massa Jones...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24504613/free-agent-dez-bryant-says-likely-wait-sign-deal

Dez Bryant: I want to be right ... that's my focus right now'

Dez Bryant indicated on Twitter on Monday night that he is likely to wait until later in the season to sign with a team.

The wide receiver, who was released by the Dallas Cowboys in April, met with the Cleveland Browns last week but left his visit without signing a contract.

Bryant, in answering a tweet from a fan where his Twitter handle was mentioned, wrote that "I just have to take care of me first" ... and "I will play ball this year just might be a lil bit later in the year."

In another tweet, Bryant wrote "I want to be right ... that's my focus right now ... life is great over here."

Bryant, 29, a three-time Pro Bowl selection is the Cowboys' franchise leader in touchdown receptions after his eight seasons in Dallas.

Shortly after his release by the Cowboys he turned down a three-year contract offer from Baltimore, preferring a one-year deal where he can re-establish himself and get a bigger payday next season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...or-suspicion-of-rape-at-apartment-they-share/

Friend of David Njoku arrested for suspicion of rape at apartment they share

A friend of Browns tight end David Njoku was arrested for suspicion of rape at an apartment he shares with Njoku. The woman said she was in the bed of Browns wide receiver Rashard Higgins, who also lives in the apartment, and found out only after having sex that the man she was in bed with was Njoku’s friend, Kashwayne Nelson.

Nelson was released without being charged with sexual assault because the woman said she feared her family finding out about the incident if she pressed charges, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. Nelson is charged with obstructing official business because he gave the police someone else’s drivers license when they asked for his name. Neither Njoku nor Higgins is accused of any crime.

“Rashard immediately notified us of the situation and he and David fully cooperated with the police while being interviewed,” the Browns said in a statement. “While our players were not the target of any allegations involving illegal activity, they understand the seriousness of the situation and we have expressed our concerns regarding the matter.”

The woman, who had been spending time with both Nelson and Higgins, said she fell asleep in Higgins’ bed. She said a man she thought was Higgins came into the room and they had sex, but when she heard his voice she realized it was Nelson. She said she tried to call the police but Nelson ripped her phone away and pulled her hair. Eventually she ran out of the apartment and called 911. Higgins was not in the apartment at the time. Njoku had spent the entire evening in his own room and was not with the others.

Higgins said he had just met Nelson when he moved into Njoku’s apartment, where Nelson has also been living. Nelson and Njoku are friends.

Although the woman said she does not want to press sexual assault charges, officers asked her to go to a hospital for a rape kit in case she changes her mind, and she complied with that request.

Back