Welcome To aBlackWeb

2018-2019 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic is a great business man and from the outside looking in a very good person but from the beginning, people who know and really watch the sport seen him being in this position for the Lakers as maybe not being a good idea. At first I thought maybe he would just be a figure head and hire experienced, smart and non yes men around him to help build this team but he hired Pelinka who doesnt have prior experience doing this type of work. Nothing Magic has tweeted or said in the past publicly showed that he was a good talent evaluator of un professionally proven prospects.

I'm sure things will get better for the Lakers next season but hopefully Ms. Buss, Magic, and Pelinka hire more competent people to assist them in building their team.

I thought pelinka was a good hire. Agents transitioning into gm roles is a natural and expected progression. Some of them are more experienced than the GM's. He has the added advantage of being able to be inside agents heads knowing what their thinking and how to move around with them. They are also better at player management which is key in a city like a LA and a team like the Lakers he's got reach out there other GM's don't.

Some bad luck with injuries coupled with Lebron and rich Paul's bullshit got them hemmed up this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're talking to @Peace_79 ?

Lol @ instigating on behalf of another nigga. Maybe that’s a Miami thing.

I watch the Spurs on National TV when I can. What I’ve seen is a young team that has grown over the course of the season. They’ve got a lot of young talent, a few guys with star quality and, a few other proven vets that play hard. They also happen to be exceptionally well coached.

If that’s not a fair assessment, you can let me know how it differs.

I thought pelinka was a good hire. Agents transitioning into gm roles is a natural and expected progression. Some of them are more experienced than the GM's. He has the added advantage of being able to be inside agents heads knowing what their thinking and how to move around with them. They are also better at player management which is key in a city like a LA and a team like the Lakers he's got reach out there other GM's don't.

Some bad luck with injuries coupled with Lebron and rich Paul's bullshit got them hemmed up this year.

Interesting point about pelinka I never thought about. From your perspective his hire makes a lot of sense.

I know Rob played high level NCAA basketball but from a NBA team building point of view I thought he was a bad hire. Maybe if the Lakers had a more competent head of basketball operations instead of Magic he would be a better fit. With Magic being in the fold I think someone that has a better grasp of team building and not a complete yes man would’ve been better suited. Or at least hire scouts and assistants that Magic and Jeanie trust that aren’t afraid to point out their vision of a good players, etc.

The narrative the Lakers were fine before LeBron got hurt due to their place in the standings is not that good of an argument. They might have gotten into the playoffs as a low seed but the players they picked up in the off season were strange to say the least. Not to mention the way they handled the Paul George and Kawhi situations. A lot of people were scratching their heads with the moves this team made before the season even started

Lol @ instigating on behalf of another nigga. Maybe that’s a Miami thing.

I watch the Spurs on National TV when I can. What I’ve seen is a young team that has grown over the course of the season. They’ve got a lot of young talent, a few guys with star quality and, a few other proven vets that play hard. They also happen to be exceptionally well coached.

If that’s not a fair assessment, you can let me know how it differs.

The Spurs aren’t that young of a team. Most of the players getting heavy minutes are Veterans. Forbes, White, Bertans and Poeltl (who only started getting run when Pau got injured) are the young guys that get run.

Pop is a great coach but he is loyal to a fault sometimes. Pau and Cunningham was getting way too many minutes early in the season due to them being veterans. The reason both of them finally dropped out of the rotation was due to them both getting hurt and the guys behind them having to get played. I understand the premise of rolling with knowledgeable guys but if their bodies can’t do what they convey through words to do........they aren’t useful players.

Forbes, Mills, and Belinelli are all very good shooters but bad defensively, with subpar wingspans and not very athletic to boot. Why would you play them all together (barring injuries or foul trouble) against athletic backcourts and wing players who can actually play? Lol. I mean maybe if the team is down big and you need shooting to get back in the game but usually they give up as much as they score. Pop finally after most of the season stopped playing Mills and Forbes together for long stints even though most fans pointed out how bad they are defensively together.

I apologize for ranting but there is a reason an objective fan had/ have doubts about this team. I seen consistently how bad they are on defense and how DeRozan and Aldridge get tunnel vision on offense sometimes and only jump pass because they are stuck in the air almost about to get blocked on a bad shot attempt. I do think if healthy and Murray gets better at shooting they could be any interesting team next season, but we will see.

This draft will also be very interesting

Interesting point about pelinka I never thought about. From your perspective his hire makes a lot of sense.

I know Rob played high level NCAA basketball but from a NBA team building point of view I thought he was a bad hire. Maybe if the Lakers had a more competent head of basketball operations instead of Magic he would be a better fit. With Magic being in the fold I think someone that has a better grasp of team building and not a complete yes man would’ve been better suited. Or at least hire scouts and assistants that Magic and Jeanie trust that aren’t afraid to point out their vision of a good players, etc.

The narrative the Lakers were fine before LeBron got hurt due to their place in the standings is not that good of an argument. They might have gotten into the playoffs as a low seed but the players they picked up in the off season were strange to say the least. Not to mention the way they handled the Paul George and Kawhi situations. A lot of people were scratching their heads with the moves this team made before the season even started

They definitely overvalued their young guys in the summer and probably should have re signed Lopez but lebron and ball missing significant time in the midst of rich Paul trying to force the AD deal killed them.

They definitely overvalued their young guys in the summer and probably should have re signed Lopez but lebron and ball missing significant time in the midst of rich Paul trying to force the AD deal killed them.

Their lack of shooting and non cohesive team killed them also. Lol

Like you stated they overrated their young guys big time and botched that proposed trade

"A few speedy, giant centers -- including Joel Embiid and Rudy Gobert -- cover this much space. Draymond Green is a genius who moves almost ahead of the ball, but he can't match Antetokounmpo's speed, leaping ability or length. Ditto for Paul George. Antetokounmpo is the only one among them who can credibly guard every player in the NBA.

He is (again) averaging almost 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks per game -- rare territory. Opponents are shooting 53 percent at the rim with Antetokounmpo nearby, one of the lowest marks in the league, per NBA.com. They have scored a laughable 0.68 points per possession when they isolate against him -- the eighth-stingiest figure among 177 guys who have faced at least 100 one-on-one attacks, per Second Spectrum. No one bothers trying to post him up; he defends one such play per 100 possessions, via Second Spectrum. He smothers both sides of a pick-and-roll.

Antetokounmpo may end the season as favorite for both MVP and Defensive Player of the Year. Yikes."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26320441/ten-things-like-including-terrifying-giannis

Anybody think the bold is probable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back