Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Why is being politically correct a bad thing?

I see this a lot online and it’s in general not just the site. But I know a lot of folks complain about political correctness saying that it ruins real conversation and is about preserving feelings. I thought it was about being checked for saying offensive shit that used to slide. Like Rush Limbaugh used to complain about pc culture but we also know he was an open racist who hated black folks and now black people are anti pc culture and use phrases like sjw. I know culturally we are conservative but I don’t get why respecting is looked down upon now.

It's not really a bad thing IMO but just like most things the extremist of a movement can give the overall movement a bad name. Seems like every week we find out a word is now offensive to some group in society. If a person isn't up on all the new terms that people aren't supposed to use anymore then they get hit with a whole blitz of bad press and social media cancellation posts. Then when some folks genuinely apologize that shit ain't good enough.

The shit exhausting to even read about sometimes let alone be the actual person having to go through it.

I think because it's mostly performative at this point. Maybe it didn't start that way. Most things start with good intentions. The whole idea is/was to educate people. However, it's used more as a reason to cancel a person or at least ostracize a person they don't like, it's been weaponized. For that very reason, I don't even think it's effective, anymore. I think less people associate it with education and understanding and more with just how not to get fired when they are around a particular person.

It can be bad because it largely just masks problems. If people legitimately feel a certain way about a topic but say something different to be politically correct, then nothing is happening to address how they actually feel and thus the problems that exist won't actually be handled.

For example, when it comes to trans athletes. The politically correct thing to say is that they should have the right to compete like anyone else. However, is that really true? If it's demonstrated that they can compete fairly or there is a path they can take which will eventually allow them to compete fairly, then that statement may be true. But what if right now trans women athletes actually do have an advantage? Then just spouting the politically correct statement only hurts the natural born women who have to compete against them and may prevent the trans women from finding the path to fair competition.

It's not really a bad thing IMO but just like most things the extremist of a movement can give the overall movement a bad name. Seems like every week we find out a word is now offensive to some group in society. If a person isn't up on all the new terms that people aren't supposed to use anymore then they get hit with a whole blitz of bad press and social media cancellation posts. Then when some folks genuinely apologize that shit ain't good enough.

The shit exhausting to even read about sometimes let alone be the actual person having to go through it.
I think because it's mostly performative at this point. Maybe it didn't start that way. Most things start with good intentions. The whole idea is/was to educate people. However, it's used more as a reason to cancel a person or at least ostracize a person they don't like, it's been weaponized. For that very reason, I don't even think it's effective, anymore. I think less people associate it with education and understanding and more with just how not to get fired when they are around a particular person.
Spot on

It's a means to promote and enforce social protections and decency. But it's been hijacked to an extent and I blame social media for it. It's given a platform for loud people who think they mean well to instantaneously tear others down en masse. They're overtly sensitive, biased and intolerant in their beliefs but can easily wrap their outrage in the guise of morality so that if anyone dare go against it it must mean they're morally corrupt in some way.

Whereas in the past u might have had the odd sensitive person bother to make the effort to call in or write letters of complaint on an individual basis, everyone's now got a phone with instant, easy access to social media where all it takes is a dead simple retweet to send bad takes around the world like wildfire. This is especially troublesome when apps like Twitter force the discussion of complex issues into bite sized text limitations. Everyone's ADHD now, stuck in algorithmic echo chambers providing us with everything we want to hear and nothing we don't.

Social media's allowed this collective outrage to be put on blast. It's placed a negative pressure on companies, organizations, networks, etc to fall in line with these calls for sensitivity, lest they appear insensitive and suffer public condemnation for it. These entities are naturally risk averse so they'll lap it all up if it means their image and profit margins remain in safe territory.

It's still doing its sensible job of keeping blatantly disrespectful and offensive shit at bay. But it's definitely become performative at its most absurd, and it's the absurdities, like the cancelling/ostracizing without due process, that make the headlines and gather the most pushback. Rightists also somewhat blow the problem out of proportion and it often seems like their only motive in decrying PCness is to conveniently excuse their own offensiveness and bigotry.

I think it's slippery.

The vast majority of White people we come across on the internet lamenting "PC culture" will do so when they're stopped or admonished for saying/doing something really bad... Like "ahh PC culture you can't criticize Black crime n Chicago!" When realistically, this man cares nothing about Chicago, the people that live there. he merely wants to bust his racism nut...For that reason, I think it's great..

Now..

I'm sure many of you have noticed that in the last 20 years, the 'Black' cause and ideology has splintered into several factions, most of which do NOT vibrate with one another. Think about the ADOS vs Carib debates or the ones between Black men and women.. This on some level comes out of the 'PC reckoning'. You get people going about intersectionality and all these other exclusionary buzzwords (Black Queer, divestor,MGTOW) suddenly THAT has become your identity and we've got #givewhitemenachance day. That and negros on TV crying all the damn time to show "black fragility".

It's a means to promote and enforce social protections and decency. But it's been hijacked to an extent and I blame social media for it. It's given a platform for loud people who think they mean well to instantaneously tear others down en masse. They're overtly sensitive, biased and intolerant in their beliefs but can easily wrap their outrage in the guise of morality so that if anyone dare go against it it must mean they're morally corrupt in some way.

Whereas in the past u might have had the odd sensitive person bother to make the effort to call in or write letters of complaint on an individual basis, everyone's now got a phone with instant, easy access to social media where all it takes is a dead simple retweet to send bad takes around the world like wildfire. This is especially troublesome when apps like Twitter force the discussion of complex issues into bite sized text limitations. Everyone's ADHD now, stuck in algorithmic echo chambers providing us with everything we want to hear and nothing we don't.

Social media's allowed this collective outrage to be put on blast. It's placed a negative pressure on companies, organizations, networks, etc to fall in line with these calls for sensitivity, lest they appear insensitive and suffer public condemnation for it. These entities are naturally risk averse so they'll lap it all up if it means their image and profit margins remain in safe territory.

It's still doing its sensible job of keeping blatantly disrespectful and offensive shit at bay. But it's definitely become performative at its most absurd, and it's the absurdities, like the cancelling/ostracizing without due process, that make the headlines and gather the most pushback. Rightists also somewhat blow the problem out of proportion and it often seems like their only motive in decrying PCness is to conveniently excuse their own offensiveness and bigotry.

Great post.

I think it's a mixture of two things. Yes there's people who are entirely too sensitive when it comes to wanting to check somebody for not being aware of every new term and it's meanings. However, alot of the things people complain about being "too pc" is shit that is just blatantly offensive. Alot of the shit people argue they should be able to say under the guise of being anti-pc is racist, bigoted language that we all know is offensive. They just think they should be able to continue to say these things without consequence.

Ita bad when people goto extremes racist people use it as a weapon to try to create bullshit narratives .. and rage against decency...

And other on the opposite side of the spectrum twist arms by making nonsensical appeals going to far.. and use it innoculate themselves from critique.. see Kristen Sinemas peoples saying commenting on her gleeful school girl gesture to deny the fight for 15 was sexist and misogynist

Political correctness is a stupid and ineffective method of social change.

What establish mutually beneficial relationships between people, is productivity. People get together, and do something together like I don't know, build a ranch, a well, a supercomputer, a business. Or they play a sport together on the same team.

You wanna know a way to establish animosity between two groups of people, tell one group that they can't say anything critical or negative about the other group . Then tell them they are "bad" people for everything thinking about saying it.

And my thing is, I would like to know if somebody hates me or dislikes me, even if it is offensive. Now we got isolated forums and groups where people like minded assholes go to congregate. Then it festers.

Political correctness is a stupid and ineffective method of social change.

What establish mutually beneficial relationships between people, is productivity. People get together, and do something together like I don't know, build a ranch, a well, a supercomputer, a business. Or they play a sport together on the same team.

You wanna know a way to establish animosity between two groups of people, tell one group that they can't say anything critical or negative about the other group . Then tell them they are "bad" people for everything thinking about saying it.

And my thing is, I would like to know if somebody hates me or dislikes me, even if it is offensive. Now we got isolated forums and groups where people like minded assholes go to congregate. Then it festers.

So the cure to social problems is people just need to get together and build a ranch or dig a well?

Are you Amish?

It's not it's just that white people needed a paletable word to describe their open racism, which was becomin' more and more socially unacceptable.

It worked and now people are proud to be "politically incorrect" and to be offended is now a sign of weakness.

They runnin' the exact same game with cancel culture.

The way it works is they find wedge issues that large segments other side agree with, its trans people at the moment that's why you're seein' all this outrage over trans people in sport and Mr Potato Head, and use those issues to cover their intent and legitimise their overall position

It's not it's just that white people needed a paletable word to describe their open racism, which was becomin' more and more socially unacceptable.

It worked and now people are proud to be "politically incorrect" and to be offended is now a sign of weakness.

They runnin' the exact same game with cancel culture.

The way it works is they find wedge issues that large segments other side agree with, its trans people at the moment that's why you're seein' all this outrage over trans people in sport and Mr Potato Head, and use those issues to cover their intent and legitimise their overall position

And niggas eat that shit up. "Oh I can't insult you anymore without you telling me it's wrong. You being sensitive". It's the dumbest counter in the world but people are very much invested in being able to say whatever they want free of consequences

Courtesy and respect. Some people want to be anal and not have to deal with the consequences of their verbal garbage and claim an attack on their free speech.

It's thought control and that, by itself, is harmful.

You're telling people what they can and cannot think and, ultimately, say. Sometimes we gotta hear what's on people's minds whether we like it or not. That's the only way to the truth, and the best way to find a vector to approach the issues a person or group of people has with one another. Tip toe around it and you're not getting to the heart of the problem. Crush people for speaking their minds and they will find an echo chamber where the problems are only amplified. Let them speak, then find a way to educate them if you feel they're out of line.

I dont think PC is bad.

The problem is always the same. People rather tell a person they have nothing to be offended by rather than listen to and understand why the person is offended.

Shit happens all over the place.

Woman gets offended. A man gets mad and tells her there was nothing to be offended by rather than try to understand why she was offended.

A gay person says something is offensive. And the straight person gets mad and say there was nothing to be offended by rather than try to understand.

The list goes on and on and on.

A person says something is offensive to their religion, and the offender explains to the person why its not offensive rather than listen and learn.

To me the worst thing you can tell a person that is offended is the shit was not offensive.

A racist rather tell a person why they werent being racist rather than listen and learn why their actions are racist.

Maybe its the human condition. Idk.

I just know usually the person thats against something being PC is in the wrong.

Back